PDA

View Full Version : Roll Bar kits: Whose has the Best Fit?

rwhite692
04-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Hey, question for you guys that already have or are installing a roll bar in your first-gen F-body... I am going to be installing one (main hoop, with two braces down to the SFCs, a removable harness bar, and the two rear tubes following the headliner back and down through the package tray, to the trunk floor just inward of the DSE wheel tubs).

I am trying to find out whose "kit" (Alstons, Morrisons, etc, etc, etc) has the best fit, specifically, the "tightness" of the main hoop to the roof contour, and the rear tubes following the roofline and going down into the trunk.

I have experience with a full cage install (ie notching tubes, welding, etc) etc, but I don't have a tubing bender, so these aspects of the kit are important to me.

Any inputs / photos appreciated!

Rob

awr68
04-02-2005, 05:33 PM
I bought a 8 point roll bar kit (11 sec. NHRA legal) from AME but only used it as a 4 point...the side bars hit the deluxe door panels and until I get my seats I wount know if I can put a slight bend in them to clear the door panel and seat at the same time. Other than that everything else fits nice and tight! All parts come a little long so you can fit it as tight to your car as you wish. Also the Chassisworks swingout kit I used for the harness bar is a very nice piece and well worth the money!! Check out pics of the install Here (http://tony.jbworks.com/pictures.asp?src=C:%5CCamaro%5CAnthonys%20Camaro&Num=253)

rockdogz
04-02-2005, 09:29 PM
I was pretty happy with the fit of the Alston unit - this was my first attempt at installing a cage and I think it fit pretty well.

Click Here (http://www.camarorestoration.com/gallery/Roll-Cage)

Jay Hilliard
04-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Rob,

I got my roll bar from Kyle (DSE). It fits very well. I just have the hoop bar, but a friend of mine had Kyle make him the hoop bar and down bars thru package tray also. I installed mine and its hidden very well when looking at car from side. It fits the angle of the quarter window and the felt on the window helps hide the bar. Not to mention black interior helps also.

rwhite692
04-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Hi Jay, I am aware of DSE's Bar, having talked with Scott G. about it, as he has it in his car and the bends and fitment seem to be especially nice. (could you post a pic or two of yours?)

However, I've asked Kyle on a couple of occasions now about purchasing a kit, but never got a response, I guess it could be that this is not something that DSE is really interested in promoting/selling, maybe too much of a pain to make and sell on a routine basis, etc?

Thanks Anthony and RockD for the info on the Alston. I built the 8-point in my 67 ElCamino from one of their kits and it was a well done product. -Rob

907rs
04-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Rob, I've talked to them recently about it as well. They seem to be very interested in offering the roll bar in a four-point configuration in kit form. I'm waiting on a quote from them.

I'll let you know when I hear something.

rwhite692
04-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks Bill. Please let me know if you should hear anything. I will also ask my local DSE dealer to request a quote...

Took
04-07-2005, 12:30 PM
I was quoted $750 for the 4 point about 3 weeks ago from DSE.

awr68
04-09-2005, 07:00 AM
I was quoted $750 for the 4 point about 3 weeks ago from DSE.

Yep that's what they told me too...and that's for steel. As much as I love my DSE parts, that was just too much for me so I opted for the AME kit at a fraction of the price...and it fits very nice!!

rwhite692
04-12-2005, 12:45 AM
They are clearly very proud of that roll bar kit.

Jay Hilliard
04-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Hey Rob,

Sorry it took so long to get you a pic. Anyway, as you will see I just did the hoop bar and cross bar. One thing that may decrease the price for you from DSE is not to use their stainless steel clevis'. They are custom machined so that wouls drive the price up, however they are very NICE.

rwhite692
04-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks, Jay. Getting closer to making a decision. The removable harness bar for me is a must.