PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove...

jh99
01-03-2007, 09:50 PM
What is the best way to remove unwanted brackets like leaf spring mounts, emergency cable brackets, or even stock crossmembers that are spot welded? Most of the spot welds are very hard to get to.

awr68
01-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Well the best way is to drill out the spot welds using a removal tool, but since you say you can't get to them I guess that is out. You have to be VERY careful when working with sheet metal, it tares way easy!! And then you will have patch panels to do.

Are you sure you can't get to the welds? Have you taken a piece of sand paper to the area and looked for a little circle (spot weld)? Most all spot welds on brackets like you mentioned are viewable and drillable.

almcbri
01-03-2007, 11:00 PM
like awr said, drilling out is the best bet. I occasionally use a plasma cutter if I don't mind going through the metal behind. Good luck.

Eastwood carries bits for spot weld drilling, or a good bit will work just fine

rwhite692
01-03-2007, 11:49 PM
The other thing to check is that a particular spotweld that you can't see/access for drilling from under the car, may be accessible from inside the car...

jh99
01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all of the help. They drilled out, but it was not easy. I still have quite a bit left to do.