PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Fit Tool

ccracin
01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
I need some information. I saw MuscleRods post in the group purchases about the Wheelrite Backspace tool. When I saw it I thought to myself, wouldn't it be better to have an adjustable wheel so that you could use an actual tire to check back-spacing. So after several revisions I designed a tool and I am having a friend at a machine shop make it. I really thought I had something unique, then I just saw WickeD_ss' post about fitting his tires using a tool he got from Marty. This tool looks unbelievably close to what I designed. It is un-canning. Where can you get that tool and how much is it? I am past the point of no return on mine, but I am just curious. A day late and a dollar short! When I find out how much you can buy one for, I'll decide if I want to post a picture of what I designed! I'll probably end up paying 2x what I can buy one for when it is done. Thanks for any help.

ZZ3ElCamino
01-02-2007, 10:21 PM
~$500, http://www.autowaretech4.net/mmprice.html

ccracin
01-02-2007, 10:36 PM
~$500, http://www.autowaretech4.net/mmprice.html

500 **!!%%$$ Dollars, I better not have that in mine! I am pretty sure I'll beat that. At least I better. Hopefully this favor will not bite me. I attached a picture of what I am making. I'll have to ask my buddy what I can get more for if he does good by me. The wheels are turning!!! What do you guys think of mine? It is scary how close they are. Right now I have it setup to do 5x4.5 and 5x4.74. 15"-20" diameter and 7"-12" Width.

ZZ3ElCamino
01-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Not too shabby. Are you using Solid Works?

ccracin
01-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Not too shabby. Are you using Solid Works?

Yes, I'm just getting up to speed with it. The first set of drawings was done with AutoCad.

Musclerodz
01-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Right now I have them at $79, jegs is $89. And you don't need a tire. The metal ones are nice, but out of reach for someone to use only once.

Mike

ccracin
01-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Right now I have them at $79, jegs is $89. And you don't need a tire. The metal ones are nice, but out of reach for someone to use only once.

Mike

Mike,

I agree, I only did what I did because for one I love designing and building gadgets. The other is I have so many friends that either build street machines or race cars, I thought it would be helpful to have one around. Again it is being built somewhat as a favor. If I can produce them a good bit under the 500 the other metal one is, maybe it would be a good alternative to the one you have. Mainly I was shocked that the designs ended up so close. Obviously the principle has to be the same, but the form ended up so close.

Sales@Dutchboys
01-03-2007, 08:14 AM
lol We used a peice of flat stock drilled a couple holes in it and put a peice of rod on the end and it worked great :thumbsup:

V8TV
01-04-2007, 10:27 AM
We used the Wheelrite and simulated the tire with the wire on the end... it actually worked pretty well. You have to be careful when you bend the wire so it's the same dimensions as the tire, but it works. I had also dreamed up the $500 version, which led me to find the Wheelrite.

ccracin
01-04-2007, 10:39 AM
We used the Wheelrite and simulated the tire with the wire on the end... it actually worked pretty well. You have to be careful when you bend the wire so it's the same dimensions as the tire, but it works. I had also dreamed up the $500 version, which led me to find the Wheelrite.

When I get mine, I am going to figure out between my buddy and what it would take to build them. When I do if the cost is reasonable and alot better than 500 I'll let evryone know. We will see.

jeff s
01-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Percy's makes a tool also called Wheelrite for $89.95 from Summit.
Part number PHP-01201

Perry Mitchell
01-05-2007, 02:47 PM
I purchased the Wheelrite tool after seeing it displayed in a glass case at SEMA and I am really disappointed in it. I immediately bolted it to my '67 Camaro and tried to dial up a 12" wide wheel only to find out it only goes to 11" plus maybe another 1/4" if you stretch it a little. If you disassemble it and drill another hole, you can get almost 11 3/4" out of it, but not 12" Oh sure, you can go up to 30" (I believe) but who is going to run 30" x 11" wheels? I would rather pay more and get a tool that is more useful. The wire they supplied to get the shape of the tire won't even snap into the mounting holes without using pliers. It's overpriced at $29.95 let alone$89.95 Anybody want mine?

ccracin
01-05-2007, 06:54 PM
I purchased the Wheelrite tool after seeing it displayed in a glass case at SEMA and I am really disappointed in it. I immediately bolted it to my '67 Camaro and tried to dial up a 12" wide wheel only to find out it only goes to 11" plus maybe another 1/4" if you stretch it a little. If you disassemble it and drill another hole, you can get almost 11 3/4" out of it, but not 12" Oh sure, you can go up to 30" (I believe) but who is going to run 30" x 11" wheels? I would rather pay more and get a tool that is more useful. The wire they supplied to get the shape of the tire won't even snap into the mounting holes without using pliers. It's overpriced at $29.95 let alone$89.95 Anybody want mine?

Perry,

I'll keep you posted as to what I can build one for. I should have the first one in a couple weeks. The first one is being done in spare time, but we are keeping track of hours after what I have seen in these posts. Stay tuned!

Perry Mitchell
01-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes, please do. By the looks of your design, it appears you can actually put the tire on your unit (if you had the tire) or go with the bent wire idea to simulate the tire shape. That would be the best of both worlds.