PDA

View Full Version : Allow myself..... to introduce myself....

JohnM69SS
03-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Hi all, well I might not fit in here exactly, but I wanted to join up and see what I can learn from you all. I posted in another forum and "met" XcYZ and decided to check out this site and forum. Simply Amazing!

Before I started my project car, I was torn up about which path to take, stock restore or PT. Since my car was numbers matching, I went with a correct restore. It was missing many of the original parts, but it has been fun tracking them down.

I will live vicariously through you guys, if you do not mind! It's such an un-natural feeling when you de-tune a car by using stock parts knowing that you are reducing current performance.

I have a low optioned 1969 X-55 SS 350 Camaro. The resto is almost "complete" (are they ever?) and I will probably start to show it this summer. I still have some portions of the car that are not original, and hope to have the funds to get them replaced over the next year.

Here is a pic of my car, it was featured in December of the 2005 Camarosource Calendar.

This car is an X-55 code SS with the L-48 300HP 350, Muncie M-20 4 speed transmission and 3.55 posi rear. The only options that it has is front disc brakes and the ZL2 cold air induction system. No console.

Currently, the motor is out and at the machine shop. I should have it back in a few weeks and be up and running again in a month or so, just in time for spring!

Anyway, I look forward to becoming a member here and enjoying your projects.

John

907rs
03-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Nice car John. Welcome!

jonny51
03-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Welcome John!If you stick around here long enough you may find yourself starting a new project :D Nice car by the way.

ryans67deuce
03-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Very nice car you have there. Welcome to the site - beware, this place is addictive!! :thumbsup:

Ryan

JohnM69SS
03-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Welcome John!If you stick around here long enough you may find yourself starting a new project :D Nice car by the way.

Thanks!

That just may happen. My son is 10 now and has been starting to get his hands dirty with my car. Once my car is done, it would be nice to pick up another car for a PT project that he and I can do together, and that he can keep when it is done and he has his license.

All original has its good points, but I have no intention of handing him the keys to my car when he gets his license. I would feel more comfortable with a PT configuration with real braking and handling capabilities over a stock resto car. While the huggers were superior in their day, they cant compare with what people have to come expect as normal performance today.

After this pic was taken, I bought reproduction REDLINE bias ply tires for it.... try planting stock 14" bias ply tires in a turn and see what happens... ha ha

XcYZ
03-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Welcome John. No matter what your project is, the guys here are great help. We have some very talented people that love to help out.

So... when do I get a ride? :D

JohnM69SS
03-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Welcome John. No matter what your project is, the guys here are great help. We have some very talented people that love to help out.

Anytime! I should have the motor back in a few weeks and installed shortly after that. In the meatime, I working on the engine wiring harness.

After driving in a TT434, try not to fall asleep in my car, ha ha !

rwhite692
03-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi John, welcome. Nice looking car!

I'm sure you'll have some fun destroying that set of 14" redlines!:D

-Rob

JohnM69SS
03-31-2005, 10:19 AM

Scott,
I was thinking (a dangerous thing). If you have some time this summer, we should put our cars side by side in a nice location for a photo shoot. It might be interesting to see a side by side comparison of two 69's at opposite ends of the spectrum. All original 69 next to full blown PT.
Almost like a time warp....

XcYZ
03-31-2005, 12:24 PM
That would be pretty cool. Problem is I have the front clip off the car and most of the glass is out. At least is rolls easy.