PDA

View Full Version : Painting an LS2

PRRC
12-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Ok guys We getting ready to set the LS2 in for and was wondering about painting an aluminum block.My concern was that aluminum expands and contracts much more than a cast iron block would.Just wondering if the paint will hold? has anyone painted one will any ill effects.Cracking chipping? Just thought I'd ask before we found out the hard way.
Thanks Tim

deuce_454
12-15-2006, 04:31 PM
just be sure to give it a proper primer... if you degrease it, and scruff it lightly with a scotch brite, to remove excess oxide and scruff the surface lightly, simply apply a promer and paint as usual, ive used a heat resistant shop primer from a company called esbjerg paints on aluminum heads and waterpumps.. , but im sure eastwood has the thing for you... also a white primer will make your color stand out much clearer..

and if it sticks to aluminum heads and intakes it will sure stick to a block, remember the outside of the block doesnt get hotter that the water inside.. so the thermal expansion is very limited...

Steve1968LS2
12-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Or you could powder paint it and not worry about having to touch it up in a few years. Most of the cost involved is due to the time spent masking off the surfaces.

Just an idea.

Nonetheless, if you use paint it will hold just fine if the surface is clean.

PRRC
12-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Steve,Thanks for the suggestion.But I think powder coating is out.Its a new LS2 crate motor and I don't think I want to take it that far down.Did you paint your motor? I really don't want to do anything.But I'm thinking it may look bad in a short time.
Tim

deuce_454
12-17-2006, 07:31 AM
i would just leave it then.. i thought you were dead set on painting it, but you wint see most of it anyway.. it will look much better and more honest if you leave it unpainted and spend some time cleaning up the engine compartment, keeping everything neat and in the same color... prople wont notice anything than the covers and headers anyway...

leave it and spend your time getting it on the road i say!