PDA

View Full Version : Time Involved To Tub A Car?

Leadfoot1
12-14-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm picking up my car on saturday...(Its ready but i'm not)

I had custom tubs installed and am a BIT skeptical on my bill. I had some done before (same shop) and it costed me MUCH less than they are charging me now...I know there are a few more brakets and stuff to attend with the vert but still. Can anyone chip in and share their experience with tub install timeframe?

I'll give you the time i'm being charged after a few inputs to compare. I don't wanna influence the audience!

Thanks guy's....I need a boost today.

Lead.

I had the DSE connectors installed too and the alum sub-frame bushings. Frame was almost perfect with only one mount to repare. Car was stripped down when they got it too. If you feel like cueing in those times too...Be my guest!

68protouring454
12-14-2006, 02:00 PM
really depends what they did, did they add bracing for the convert?? or did they simply mini tub it??
usually all said and done a mini tub will take 40-50 hrs on a coupe car or rag top with no additional bracing added, however in a rag top you must add bracing if yu want your doors to close after hammering on it driving

TLWiltman
12-14-2006, 02:40 PM
I've heard a figures from 25-40hrs (depends on the person/shop) for a minitub (2nd gen Camaro). 2nd gens are (IIRC) considered to be a fairly easy car to minitub. Not sure how much more time a 1st gen would take or how much extra time/engineering would be required for a convertible.

68protouring454
12-14-2006, 02:59 PM
also i believe dse estimates 50 hrs for them to do the job
and they have done many

Leadfoot1
12-14-2006, 05:07 PM
OK.....

Thanks then.

I had read the DSE hours somewhere and couldn't fint it. I was hoping someone would remember.

The shop is saying it took them 60 hours for the whole thing. (Car's been there 3 weeks as the worked on it on and off and i am so busy i went only twice, so i couldn't follow them).

Its just that it costed me like 500$ on my coupe for the tubs alone...And now its costing 60 hours at 60$....Do the math.

'Guess i'll have a bit of time to clean my undercarriage before i'm buying the suspension.

Oh well, at least i can fit the tires now!

Thanks guy's. :)

Lead.

Oh, and where would bracing be needed? We doubled the rails with 1/4" plate at the notch and the DSE connectors stiifen up the car considerably. Just opening and closing the doors is amazing (before and after)! I'm planning a cage like this Stavola guy on DSE's website (almost hidden) but maybe not right now, unless i realize bending tubes is as easy as it looks. My friend just bought a bender and we are suppose to play with it during the holidays.

waynieZ
12-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi I'm having a set of DSE tubs put in my car they are charging me $700 for the work

Datsbad
12-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi I'm having a set of DSE tubs put in my car they are charging me $700 for the work

WOW , thats way to cheap . I am curious as to what this looks like in the end!

Also , I have done 2 verts and one we are doing now. There is nothing to worry about doing a vert . The car we are doing now has good paint and we are mini tubbing it and its on a rotiserre. I of course added bracing to it that will be removed after we are done.

I see that it will be more structualy sound than stock . With plating that is thicker than the factory rails and a crossmember to boot how could it not be, The convert back brace does not need to come out if your not doing a stagered crossmember. !

novanutcase
12-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Do you think the hours needed to do the job would be that much if the floors and stuff were already cut out? Does this make the job easier and less time consuming since a lot of stuff is out of the way?

Datsbad
12-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Do you think the hours needed to do the job would be that much if the floors and stuff were already cut out? Does this make the job easier and less time consuming since a lot of stuff is out of the way?

it would make it easier to some degree, floors or not the frame still has to be sectioned , which is the hardest part.

cutting out tubs and fitting them is no big deal but you need a outer wheel house in there to mate it up properly

ProdigyCustoms
12-22-2006, 12:14 AM
I thin 60 hours was on the money

Leadfoot1
12-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Hey guy's,

its not really the money factor as much as what we (me and shop manager) discussed it would cost.

I had told him that i was just thinking it would cost 'round the same amount as it did in my 67 coupe...(+ - 500$) and he said yes....So when i showed up and had a bill for 4300$ well, you should understand my surprise!

Anyway, we agreed and all is well! I understand he has to pay his guy's as i have a business too, it just should have been crystal clear between us at the beginning. You know, at that price i might have taken time to do it myselg and bought a new welder!
(They did install the SFC and alum bushings tough)

Interesting to read others experience in this matter too!

Lead.

Hey, while i think about it... Happy Holydays to all!