PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Camaro Headlight door motors (electric)

rwhite692
03-28-2005, 10:19 PM
This company, who has had an electric motor upgrade for 67-68 camaros for some time, just came out with a version for the 69. Too expensive for me at $550. I'm eager to see what DSE will bring to market...

http://www.retro-electro.net/69system.html

69MyWay
03-29-2005, 04:20 AM
The thing is $550 is not unreasonable from a niche marketing perspective. I manufacture and sell a bracket system to convert 1968-1982 Corvettes from vacuum to electric. It runs as much as $750 to buy all new GM headlight actuators, electronic, and my brackets. From what I can gauge looking at his stuff his profit margin is razor thin at $550.

I do think however you could do this yourself for a bit less using a www.uslinear.com actuator and some creative thought. However, these actuators often go as much as $200 each, so you are right back in the same price range.

4mm
03-30-2005, 12:36 AM
I agree..they are a bargain. I had already purchased the motors themselves and they work beautifully. I already ordered a set of the electronic versions for my 67. When you consider all of the parts and wiring involved on the OEM vs these electronic units (just splice into headlamp wiring), the choice is clear. If DSE ever comes up with something, you can bet it will cost more..

jonny51
03-30-2005, 02:04 AM
If DSE ever comes up with something, you can bet it will cost more..

I believe DSE already has them they just haven't released them yet.I think Stuart had them on the aluminator.I agree they will cost more from DSE but I am sure they will be top knotch.

69rs
06-15-2005, 06:42 AM
I'll have to stick with my "manual" RS headlight doors! It's cool that there are ways to make them work, just more than I can pay right now.