PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Wheels

Diognes56
12-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Hey guys. I know Foci don't really fit into the general interest here, but I figured you guys would have some good advice to give on aluminum wheels. Sooooooo, I just picked up a set of 17" 15 spoke aluminum wheels off of a SVT Focus for my wifes ZX3.

Like these:
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/focus-parts/images/M1007S177E_a.jpg

They came painted dark argent from the factory. However a couple of the rims have some easily fixed curb rash and she would prefer a lighter color anyway, so I was going to fix the rash, feather out the paint, reseal them, paint them light silver and clear them. I just got to thinking that they would look even better if I completely stripped them and just clear the bare aluminum. Anyway, my questions are:

1. Is there any problem shooting clear on bare aluminum or am I better off with the above plan of attack?

2. Would baking soda blasting be the best way to take off all of the paint relatively quickly/safely? Any other options?

3. If I baking soda blasted the paint off would I need to go over the rim with anything (like a gray scotch brite or something like that) before clearing?

4. Would you clear the rim inside and out or just the face?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the advice. Later.

David