PDA

View Full Version : Melling oil pump warning

camcojb
11-29-2006, 09:51 AM
http://forums.godragracing.com/viewtopic.php?t=36095&highlight=

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143630&highlight=melling

Good idea to check which one you have. Melling makes most the pumps out there for everyone else.

Jody

Autokraft
11-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Good post Jody. :thumbsup:

3kidsnotime
12-01-2006, 08:39 AM
A very good heads up :thumbsup: Thanks for keeping us posted, I feel very bad for those who may have had a problem with them :(

JUSTANOVA
12-02-2006, 11:43 AM
thats good to know

JamesJ
12-02-2006, 11:19 PM
One more HAMB reader :willy:

rocketman
12-03-2006, 02:25 PM
I read this on another site,the guy who made the original post was breaking the pumps,because the car was tire shaking so bad that the vibrations where going there the solid motor mounts to the weakest link,the oil pump,the pumps still work's and for a street car are fine don't jump to consulsion,sounds to me if the guy would learn to set the car up it wouldn't tire shake.

Some how I don't see where GM cares what a aftermarket reman supplier does with there parts,when GN hasn't used a SBC motor in 6yrs.

Anyway make your own choice's but take in to consideration the problem the gy was have causing a oil pump to break,that is some serious tire shake.

camcojb
12-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I read this on another site,the guy who made the original post was breaking the pumps,because the car was tire shaking so bad that the vibrations where going there the solid motor mounts to the weakest link,the oil pump,the pumps still work's and for a street car are fine don't jump to consulsion,sounds to me if the guy would learn to set the car up it wouldn't tire shake.

Some how I don't see where GM cares what a aftermarket reman supplier does with there parts,when GN hasn't used a SBC motor in 6yrs.

Anyway make your own choice's but take in to consideration the problem the gy was have causing a oil pump to break,that is some serious tire shake.

There have been several failures not attributed to tire shake. Why would anyone run the weaker pump casting when you can get one that won't fail for a few dollars more.

Jody

jpdeuce
12-03-2006, 07:01 PM
For what its worth, those still on a budget can run a stock big block pump for about the same money as the original 55 series. It will provide a little more pressure and volume for about the same money. I think the part number on it is M77. You just have to run a big block pickup tube which I believe are 3/4 o.d.

rocketman
12-03-2006, 10:51 PM
There have been several failures not attributed to tire shake. Why would anyone run the weaker pump casting when you can get one that won't fail for a few dollars more.

Jody

I would like to know what someone is doing to a motor to break the oil pump casting.

Anyway you want to be using the new 1055X part # pumps,there the Melling performance series of pumps from those that don't know.10552 is the most popular.

JUSTANOVA
12-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I would like to know what someone is doing to a motor to break the oil pump casting.

Anyway you want to be using the new 1055X part # pumps,there the Melling performance series of pumps from those that don't know.10552 is the most popular.

dirt circle track racing comes to mind, with rough tracks, and the occasional wreck, that could put a serious jolt to the oil pump. I haven't had one break yet, but you can bet that the oil pan wil be coming off of all our motors to check the wich oil pump we have. It doesn't take long to destroy alot of parts at 8000rpm's for 3/8 to 1/2 mile track.

aonghus
12-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Like the fella said on the first thread Jody posted... is the HV55 the same as the M55x casting?

It might be in there but I can't seem to find anything confirming or denying this

Blown353
12-04-2006, 02:24 PM
The new M55HV pumps are the thinner wall thickness castings too (you shouldn't be needing an HV pump for 99% of applications anyways but that's another story entirely...)

The only way to make sure you're getting the good THICK wall thickness pumps is to buy any of the pumps in their "Select" line.

All spur-gear type oil pumps will experience some amount of cavitation at some point in their operating range. This cavitation, coupled with general vibration in the engine will induce a cyclic load on the pump body. If the pump body isn't thick enough it will eventually crack and fail.

I have seen several of the new "thin" pumps fail now in roundy-round applications but I also know several other roundy-round guys who have an entire season on the thin pumps with no cracks of any kind even after a penetrant inspection. They are switching to the "select" pumps for next season though.

It's only a few bucks more for the original thicker casting pumps-- why take the chance?

Melling's wrongdoing in this case was not getting the word out to the "performance" crowd in a better manner.

Word has it that sometime in the near future Melling is going to be releasing a gerotor-type pump for Chevy's under their "select" line... that will be cool.

rocketman
12-04-2006, 06:48 PM
dirt circle track racing comes to mind, with rough tracks, and the occasional wreck, that could put a serious jolt to the oil pump. I haven't had one break yet, but you can bet that the oil pan wil be coming off of all our motors to check the wich oil pump we have. It doesn't take long to destroy alot of parts at 8000rpm's for 3/8 to 1/2 mile track.

Yeahs for sure,I haven't had any pumps fail,but we are switching everything to the new performance pumps they came out with.For the Modified and Late Models I use a billet pump for them.

sharp67
12-05-2006, 07:07 PM
So Ive read through all the links, but im still not sure if this is one to be concerned with? m155hv. I had a local shop put in the new pump and I did not get to look at it. I dont have solid motor mounts so if it is one of the questionable ones do I even need to be concerned with this? Thanks for the info. Jay.