PDA

View Full Version : My 1969 Chevelle

Blown353
03-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Well, the weather was nice out today and I had just cleaned about 1500 miles of dust off the outside, underside, and under the hood, so I thought I should take some new pictures of my POS for you guys.

http://home.comcast.net/~swedish_chef/stuff/lateralg/exterior_1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~swedish_chef/stuff/lateralg/exterior_4.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~swedish_chef/stuff/lateralg/int_2.jpg

Blown353
03-26-2005, 09:56 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~swedish_chef/stuff/lateralg/engine_1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~swedish_chef/stuff/lateralg/engine_2.jpg

Quick summary:

-353 with 4340 knife edged crank, 6" Manley H-beams, heavily worked 200cc Dart Pro-1 heads with inconel exhaust valves and titanium keepers/retainers, Dart stud girdles, custom hydraulic roller cam for supercharger (.540"/.580", 242/254 @ .050, 114 LSA), JE ceramic & teflon coated 9.25:1 pistons, etc.
-ATI P1-SC-H Procharger, makes about 15.5 psi @ 6700 rpm
-Custom EFI intake by SD Concept Engineering (http://www.sd-concepts.com), the lower half is a extrude honed holley stealth ram, the upper is sheetmetal with 5" extended hilborn style bellmouth ram-tubes inside the plenum box, 75mm BBK throttle body, kinsler remote IAC, carbon fiber lid by me.
-Be-cool radiator and twin spal fans
-Vintage air
-Custom blower to throttle body aluminum tubing, cold air intake, serpentine conversion of ATI accessory brackets, custom power steering bracket by me
-FAST bank to bank wideband EFI, currently using 55 lb/hr injectors and maxing them at 5500 rpm, 75 lb/hr pieces are on the way.
-Progressive water injection by Julio Don (http://www.alkycontrol.com) (trick!)
-SX fuel pump, regulator, and filter with a Kenne Bell volt booster which bumps the fuel pump up to 16.25 volts at 3psi of boost or higher
-TKO 5 speed, McLeod scattershield, Weber dual performance clutch and 25 lb billet flywheel, 4" aluminum driveline, 12-bolt with Superior axles, 3.42 gears and a 400# Eaton Posi
-American racing 17x8" TTII Classics with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in 255/45/17 all the way around
-Fast ratio steering box with Flaming River stainless slipshaft and stainless u-joints (thinking of upgrading to a new style box from DSE)
-Global West tubular upper/lower control arms up front with their semi-comp springs, 1.25" sway bar, 13" Baers with 2-piece rotors on B-body spindles
-Global West TBC-4 lowers and Edelbrock uppers out back with Global West Semi-comp springs, 12" Baers with 2-piece rotors
-Hydroboost by Hydratech (http://www.hydroboost.com) (Thanks Paul!)
-Interior has stock buckets, stock console, some autometer gauges, autometer LED shift light hidden where the long-dead factory clocked used to live, and a Momo steering wheel.
-Holes in bottom of front fenders by rust, faded paint by crappy body shop and harsh California central valley sun. :P

This was/is my first car; I've had it for 8 years now and have wanted to paint it since day one. I'm planning to pull it apart for paint at the end of this summer. I'm planning to shave the rocker panel molding, header and trunk emblems, Malibu quarter panel emblems for a cleaner look, and I'll remove the external antenna for an internal one. I have an original SS hood for the car (twin bulge) that will be going on. I'm planning on either Porsche Seal Gray Metallic or Subaru Crystal Gray with black Yenko "hockey stick" side stripes minus the Yenko lettering. Wheels will probably change to HRE 547 or Kinesis K18 with polished hoops and bolts with black centers; I think the black centers will look really good with the black sidestripe. The interior will be getting either Recaro or Sparco seats up front and maybe a 6-point cage. I'm also going to swap under an El Camino frame (fully boxed) with a 3-link by me out back. Plans are still undecided for the front suspension at this time, but my motivations are to improve on bump steer, scrub radius, and roll center over the current B-body spindle setup.

No dyno numbers yet as I need the new fuel injectors, but it should be in the neighboorhood of 650rwhp.

Special thanks to Jody for being a bad influence and making me spend a lot of money over the last 2 years on the Procharger and EFI. :P

Troy

oldzzy
03-27-2005, 08:16 AM
That's a sweet A body you have there! If and when you plan on painting it i am sure it will look awesome!

jonny51
03-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Troy,that's a pretty nice POS!

907rs
03-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Troy, that's one heck of a killer combo you've got there. :thumbsup: I'm really diggin' that induction set-up, man!

Blown353
03-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Troy,that's a pretty nice POS!

LOL, thanks! :P

That's a sweet A body you have there! If and when you plan on painting it i am sure it will look awesome!

I almost don't want to paint it; I like the faded paint and splotchyness for the sleeper factor, and also because I have one less car I have to wax and maintain. I pull into local carshows the way it is now and unless people hear it driving in it gets ignored until I open the hood. Pretty soon there's one person standing around with their jaw on the ground, then two people, then three... you get the picture. Last year at at the end-of-seasons local shows I arrived late just before judging ended but still managed to take best muscle car, best engine, and the "Bad to the Bone" award even though IMO there were at least 10 other cars far better than mine. :unibrow:

I really have to paint it though, as I can feel surface rust under the vinyl top in a few spots. None of it is through the sheetmetal as I can inspect the underside from the trunk, but I don't want it getting worse than it is now. I'm really liking the idea of Yenko side stripes because they're not often seen and fairly low key. I don't want it super flashy, although for a while I did consider two-tone silver/red, red/black, or silver/black. I have to match the underhood demeanor, which is zero "bling" but all-business but very well coordinated. The only things shiny under the hood right now are the throttle body (came that way) and the March crank and water pump pulleys, only because I couldn't get them in black. I need to re-powdercoat them black and scotchbrite the throttle body.

Less shiny stuff to polish is more time I can be out on the road having fun with it. :)

XcYZ
03-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Awesome car! :hail:

Keith
03-28-2005, 01:48 AM
Wow.....intake is kick ass! What a well thought our car...too bad you have to paint it! ;)

Blown353
04-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all the compliments guys. :)

My new flowmatched 75 lb/hr injectors finally arrived yesterday from the Great White North (ordered from Racetronix up in Canada.) Hoping to have time to get them installed this weekend, so I can finally run it up to max RPM without going lean and finish the tune off. Then it's off to a chassis dyno.

Troy

USAZR1
04-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Troy,how soon will you be upgrading the wheels and steering box?

Blown353
04-08-2005, 01:17 AM
Troy,how soon will you be upgrading the wheels and steering box?

Not sure Clint, but probably at the end of the local show season (October-November or so.) My current wheels and steering box are working just fine, so I'm in no hurry to change them out. However, I have been known to change out perfectly good parts just because I want something to do. :)

Started putting in the new injectors tonight; the old injectors were Siemens, the new ones are Delphi. The Delphi injectors are just a smidge taller. Normally this isn't a problem, but in my case the slightly taller injectors pushed the fuel rails up into the bottom of the plenum box. The plenum now sits on top the fuel rails and there's about a .085" gap between the plenum box and the intake runners. The easy way out would be to mill a bit off the top of the fuel rails, unfortunately the fuel rails are already milled a bit on the top, and I don't feel comfortable taking off any more material. So now I have to decide if I want to fab a thin aluminum spacer between the plenum box and the lower intake and end up with thin double gaskets (one on top and one on the bottom of the spacer), or just make a thicker gasket. A thick gasket is the easy solution, but I'm worried about the thick gasket possibly pushing out under boost. I swear, there's no such thing as an easy job. :willy:

Troy

camcojb
04-08-2005, 01:58 AM
No easy job but I know that the "engineer" in you will come up with a clean solution Troy. That car is a blast to ride in guys, really pulls hard! :unibrow:

Jody

Steve68
04-14-2005, 07:17 PM
I love it, needs paint, the ulimate sleeper, I have a red Nova rusty as hell, it dosen't get a second look till you here it run, 468 590/599 245/252@ 50 cam, 10.5 comp, everybody's like Damn, listen to that thing!, it a street car/ drag car.

But I keep reading what you've done to the motor with the Procharger and all, My Camaro will be close to your motor, 383 TPIS mini ram, procharger, 5 or 6 spd, Keep us posted, Steve

Steve68
04-18-2005, 11:26 AM
is this board slow??? I haven't seen any activity in days, whats up??????

XcYZ
04-18-2005, 11:48 AM
With only 400 members, it goes in cycles. Busy for a few days, then quiet, then busy. At least, that's how it seems to go.

Steve68
04-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Ah! small, I just figured there was a secret squirrel code and nobody told me, hahaah, Steve

Ricochet
04-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Cool looking car!! Seeing that Jody had some influence I know it hauls ass!! Must be a blast to drive wit hthe stick!!

Blown353
04-19-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks Brent!

Tonight I got tired of waiting and half-assed my IAC plumbing with some rubber hose just so I could get the sucker on the road and drive it again after the injector swap. I'm waiting for 2 new fittings from XRP to fix the IAC the right way but I just couldn't wait another day for them to arrive, so I dug into the hose drawer and cobbled something together. :P

So far, so good-- On the datalog I saw 80% duty cycle at 6000 rpm with the new 75 lb/hr injectors, which is as high as I took things tonight. Much better than the 120% at 5600 rpm it was asking for with the 55 lb/hr injectors. It was also a tad on the rich side at 10.8:1, so I need to lean things out just a bit. Tomorrow I'll try to wring it out to 6700 or so and see what happens, should be entertaining.

I'll have to get some in and out of car videos soon and post them now that the thing is running properly; I really want to see what the thing looks like from the outside when I do one of my trademark 60 mph rolling burnouts. My friends who have seen it from a trailing vehicle say it's pretty wicked, and I'll admit it's rather fun from behind the wheel. :D

I need more traction. :P

61Bubbletop
04-20-2005, 11:08 AM
:hail: Holy crap is that thing a sleeper!...Awesome car :thumbsup:

Steve Chryssos
04-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Troy,
It sounds like you're having the time of your life. You are an inspiration. Don't paint it. Put some fat rubber under there, add some supportive seats and call it done.

Blown353
04-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Troy,
It sounds like you're having the time of your life. You are an inspiration. Don't paint it. Put some fat rubber under there, add some supportive seats and call it done.

Believe me Steve, seats are high on my list. VERY high. I can't comfortably sling the car through turns right now because I'm spending too much effort holding myself on the stock seats, which offer NO lateral support. I find myself sliding over the vinyl and hanging on to the steering wheel for dear life as I slide around in the seat. It's hard to concentrate and be smooth on the steering and pedal inputs when you can barely stay in the seat! Good seats would make the car far more enjoyable to drive hard. I also need to modify the throttle pedal; it needs to be higher off the floor and a bit closer to the brake pedal. Right now it's quite difficult to heel & toe.

Any suggestions on comfy seats? I've sat in some Sparco Milano's and liked them. I also have my eye on the Sparco Torino, Cobra Misano, and Recaro Sport Topline; while they look great on the internet, I haven't sat in them. I'd also be open for fabbing brackets to fit in some factory late model seats, but don't have a clue of where to start looking. My first thoughts are Vette, Viper, BMW, or Audi seats, but it would need to be free of side airbags.

Fat rubber out back is also needed badly. I can fit 10 inch wheels with 285's or 295's quite comfortably. 305's start to get a bit tight, but do fit with no mods. Something like 335's would be very beneficial for straight line antics; it would just require quite a bit of work (narrowing the frame in back, fender flares, or a combination of both).

Up on the list to do shortly is yank the vinyl top, treat/repair the rust, and re-shoot it in satin black for the rest of the local carshow season. There are a few spots growing in size and I'm quite worried about them even though they aren't through the sheetmetal... yet. Darn vinyl top rust magnet. :mad:

Troy