PDA

View Full Version : What first: paint or buildup my 68 Camaro

Moabdude
11-28-2006, 02:51 PM
I am starting to build up my 68 Camaro. but what is wise:
- first build up the total car and than let it paint
or
- paint it first and than the build up?

I see Barry White on Discovery Channel (Wracks to Riches)do the paint first and than do all the other bodywork and buildup.

What are the pro's and con's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/bramrook/Brams%20Camaro/24oktober010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/bramrook/Brams%20Camaro/SubframeNov2006024.jpg

fletcherscustoms
11-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Mechanical, Suspension, etc First!! Paint last. You want a rough car to do all your initial mock up on, or at least I do.

Now if you are just adding on some bolt on stuff, wheels, springs, suspension, etc. And require no cutting or fitting. Then paint it first.

Rybar
11-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Why don't you paint the underside first, then bolt on the suspension that you already have, then install the engine/tranny, then mock up the complete car, then pull the front sheet metal/doors off and send it to paint. That way when you get it back from paint, you'll only have to do wiring, interior and trim?

I'm not the expert, but at least that way you could get it off the dolly and get the car into a one piece roller.

BTW: nice project, and I dig the color! :thumbsup:

Gordz32
11-28-2006, 05:11 PM
In my opinion, its best to paint after everything is mocked up, You don't want any scratches,dents, or dings on the car before you even get to drive it. :drive:

youthpastor
11-28-2006, 09:08 PM
:thumbsup: I'm in between-paint underside, get it rolling- paint rest, install eng, trans etc, bada-bing-bada-boom...your done. Any way you do it, it's gonna be a killer car.-Chris

TravisB
11-28-2006, 10:47 PM
always mock up the entire car first.........

painting first we be like eating desert before cooking the meal.

not a good idea

1.strip
2.modify/chop/cut/etc
3.assemble
4.body work
5.reassemble
6 paint
7.assemble

those are pretty much the steps we use....expect the part where you scratch it putting it togther and have to repaint something...lol

HRBS
11-29-2006, 04:03 PM
We build / fabricate and assemble / disassemble a car no less than 4 times before paint is ever considered on any part.
You should never have to drill a single hole after paint.