PDA

View Full Version : Brakes Power/Manual?

ccracin
11-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Well, I'm still designing the chassis for our truck project. I am estimating a finished weight of less than 3500#. My plan was to use the Wilwood 13" 6 piston set-up on the front and the 12" 4 piston setup on the rear. I was also planning to run dual master cylinders, 3/4" bore for front and 7/8 or 1" bore for the rear. It is my estimation that this combination will provide excellent braking with normal pedal effort. I would rather not run power assist. Anybody have any comments? This is going to be mainly a street truck, it may or may not ever see a track. It will however have alot of power so it should also have alot of stopping power. Thanks for any input.

PRRC
11-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Chad,We have gone both way's in the past with customers car.I really try and steer them away from a manual brake set up.I think that on most peoples daily driver the pedal effort is very little to get the car to stop.This is what they expect. when setting up a big disc brake ststem with a manual pedal the car will stop in a shorter distance from any given speed.but it requires more effort to the pedal compared to power brakes.Even myself feel that the car takes longer to stop on a manual system.Even though it does'nt your mind is telling you it does because your effort to the pedal is great than what you are use to.And for that reason alone we try to have our customers use power when they can.Just my 02.
Tim

ccracin
11-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Tim,

Thanks alot for the input. I understand exactly what you are saying. My dad and I are coming from the circle track racing background so we do understand your points. My main concern is that it will stop as good. A little more effort is tolerable. 2 feet on the pedal won't cut it! My race car was 2800# with 12 rotors an super/dyna-lites. I could lock up all 4 wheels with 1 foot without alot of trouble. This truck will be heavier, but have more brake. Do you guys handle wilwood? I will be calling you this week.

Thanks Again,

Blown353
11-27-2006, 10:40 PM
With the right pads I think the pedal effort with those particular calipers will be quite reasonable in a manual setup.

I'm with you-- I prefer manual brakes if at all possible not only for simplicity but also pedal feedback & feel. Only reason I'm running a hydroboost is I couldn't achieve adequate braking performance with reasonable pedal force with my PBR's. I'm happy with the hydroboost but would like to re-do my entire brake system and go back to manual.

PRRC
11-28-2006, 07:34 AM
Chad, yes.We are a wilwood dealer.
If you have a background using a manual brake set up you should be fine.I think it will still be alittle more effort than your use to with the smaller dirt track cars.I dont think it will require the 2 foot stomp.LOL.
Tim