PDA

View Full Version : Who has put a T56 in their 1st gen?

MaxHarvard
11-20-2006, 01:51 PM
I have a question about the cross member... is it higher, lower or same height than a standard crossmember? I'm looking into a cheaper alternative than buying an ATS unit and need to know if i need to raise the crossmember or lower it.

jannes_z-28
11-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Since the crossmembers transmount is further back you have to redo a stock one if you are going that route. That means cutting it and make it move back. There are a few examples of that around.

The height is dependent on your car setup. Drivshaftjoint angles and pinion angles has to be considered. If you have solidbody mounts that are lowering the body on the frame will make you cut the tunnel and raising the roof for clearance. Since the T56 is bulkier it will be a tight fit anyway.

Check around there are comparison drawings around (couldn't find one right now) that shows the difference between the transmissions.

Jan

MaxHarvard
11-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks Jan, i've been looking around and it looks like there is a slight drop in the crossmember of a few inches... i found a universal deal for really really cheap. I bought one in hopes of throwing the T56 in so i might get some more $ for it if i have to sell it.

It is hard to tell sometimes how much it drops... we'll see i suppose.

68protouring454
11-20-2006, 08:49 PM
measure current intake mount flange angle or tranny tailshaft angle, then mount t-56, match angle and build crossmember to suit.or modify current one :thumbsup:

MaxHarvard
11-21-2006, 05:17 AM
Car's in storage now, but that was the basic plan... :)

Thanks for the help :)