PDA

View Full Version : Another "which engine to buy"-question

Alex396ss
11-20-2006, 05:11 AM
Hi!

Need some help with which engine to buy for my ´67 Chevelle project.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=6709

I´d really like a fuelinjected bigblock, like the 502 or a 572 and I´m going for some kind of 6-speed.
But I don´t want to mess up the car´s handling because of the weightissues.
I´m thinking of spending 10.000-15.000$$ on the engine and I´d like to have around 600+ horses.
It won´t be a daily driver, but I´d also like to use it in heavy traffic and on longer trips, so it has to be reliable.

Any suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated!

Alex

mazspeed
11-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Hey Alex. I was really thinking about this motor for myself befpore I went with a Procharger. 434 (http://www.ultrastreet.net/434_classic.asp)
I heard a lot of good things about this motor, and it's a small block.

nitrorocket
11-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Do you build your own motors? Do you weld? Have you thought about a turbo LSX??? You can easily make 1000 hp and still get good mileage, plus, if anything ever goes south, it is dirt cheap to fix. This can be done for under $15k.

BThibodeaux
11-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Alex,
I am looking for the same setup that you are. I have come up with a combination that will cost about $15K, including EFI and Vintage Air Front Runner. The short block utilizes the Merlin-X aluminum block. The heads are Dart Pro1 aluminum heads. The EFI is the Holly universal kit combined with the Edelbrock Victor Jr. EFI manifold for rectangular heads. I haven't settled on a cam yet, but it will be hydraulic roller. My goal is around 650 HP.
This setup will weigh about the same as a cast iron small block setup.

rocketman
11-21-2006, 01:09 PM
A 434 would be a very nice motor for the street,It's going to be hard to build a BBC for the money you are looking for.A 540 would be killer thou.

Alex396ss
11-22-2006, 02:43 AM
Thank´s everyone for your inputs, I´ve got alot to consider now.

Alex

Fastbowtie
12-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Alex have you decided which way you’re going to go yet? I am actually contemplating the same thing. I am leaning towards an aluminum small block 427. Dart or Motown seem to be the choices. I've heard different opinions on both. Everybody seems to be favoring the Dart Block. I don't like the fact that I'd have to change a bunch of things to use this block. Camshaft core size, Intake Manifold height, wide spread oil pan, its not ready for a oil filter set up, and that’s just for starters. Has anyone here built this engine with either of these blocks? Some people say the World Products block is not real square.

clill
12-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Ls7 Ls7 Ls7 :d