PDA

View Full Version : Painless wiring question...

MaxHarvard
11-14-2006, 12:01 PM
has anyone used this before? How hard is it to wire up? does it work well? I'm running out of room for 12v hot and key-on hot wires.

Please, any help would be good!!

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categoryitem_10001_10002_20007_-1_39983

XcYZ
11-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Eric, check out American Autowire (http://www.americanautowire.com/). They might have something that will work for what you need. :thumbsup:

edit: Found the link:

www.americanautowire.com/products/Fuse_Panels_Blocks_and_Accessories.cfm

MaxHarvard
11-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Can you tell me which one you were looking at?

Whats the difference? I need one with 12v Key-on and 12v constant HOT.

XcYZ
11-14-2006, 12:30 PM
In that case, you'll want one with 2 busses, American Autowire's accessory blocks have one. You could use two accessory blocks, one for 12V constant and one for 12 V ignition. I see that the accessory blocks from Painless are setup with 2 busses.

kennyd
11-14-2006, 12:30 PM
painless is a easy to use harness .
are you talking about at the key ? thats where you are running out of wires ?

MaxHarvard
11-14-2006, 02:23 PM
painless is a easy to use harness .
are you talking about at the key ? thats where you are running out of wires ?

I'm talking about 12v sources that need the key to be in the ON position, and some sources (like the CD player) need a constant 12v source when the key is in the OFF position.

kennyd
11-14-2006, 04:22 PM
ok i understand . i set up a relay on a junction block for keyed wires and run a constant junction block for non keyed 12v .
i like painless harness , but i have a AAW set up for the 57 i will see how i like it .

PRRC
11-14-2006, 05:25 PM
We use and sell the AAW kits. we like the AAW kits because they are upgradable. You can add to them without having alot of extra wiring you arent using. Say for instance you deside later to add A/C to your car. the accessory outlets are already in place to do so. You can add the wiring as needed. The highway 22 also has previsions for an electric fuel pump with a built in relay. There is more than plenty of 12v constant and keyed outlets to fit just about any needs you may have.AAW classic updates are great for a guy that has updated some of the electrical compaints like ignition and radio.But wants to keep the gauges and instrument lighting.Its a very well thought out system. Tim

MaxHarvard
11-14-2006, 08:05 PM
PRRC.... which one are you referring to? I cant find the Highway 22.

PRRC
11-14-2006, 08:38 PM
MaxHarvard,The highway 22 is made by American Autowire. It is one of there universal kits. We like them because of there versatility.It comes with all the switches ignition /headlight /dimmer and all the pig tails for headlights/ GM turn signal for your column.pretty much everything you need to do a complete rewire.Not sure what kind of car your redoing but these kits work great. If you need some more info feel free to give use a call we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Tim Paradise Road rod & custom Indianapolis.IN.
phone 317 541-9590

Clsccmro
11-14-2006, 10:09 PM
I have the exact unit you've pictued MaxHarvard from painless, and the unit in my eyes is perfect. It's inexpensive and very simplistic to wire up. They include plenty of wire for the unit so that you can mount it in just about any location. I am strictly using the unit as an under-the-hood accessory hook-up. I just installed it about 3 weeks ago, and there are no complaints here. I have 2 electric fans connected, along with MSD ignition box, electric water pump, and electric starter. The only complaint I have about the unit is that all of the wires run directly out of the back side of the unit, and it makes it a little difficult to mount to a surface. However, they provide long bolts which allow you to tighten it down to a surface using the bolts rather than forcing it with your hands. I highly recommend this product.

MaxHarvard
11-15-2006, 06:47 AM
MaxHarvard,The highway 22 is made by American Autowire. It is one of there universal kits. We like them because of there versatility.It comes with all the switches ignition /headlight /dimmer and all the pig tails for headlights/ GM turn signal for your column.pretty much everything you need to do a complete rewire.Not sure what kind of car your redoing but these kits work great. If you need some more info feel free to give use a call we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Tim Paradise Road rod & custom Indianapolis.IN.
phone 317 541-9590

Ahhh ok i see. I'm only looking for a supplemental wiring harness, the car has been totatlly rewired from top to bottom with OEM replacement stuff. I just need something to help me clean up some of the hideous looking wires under the dash and under the hood.

Clsccmro: Thanks for the info, i was hoping someone had actually used it. Where did you mount it? I'm thinking in the glove box or something like that.