PDA

View Full Version : need wiring help...

Streetking
11-13-2006, 11:23 PM
I'm restoring my '69 Mach 1, 351W, Tremec 5spd ect. The car was not originally a non-tach car. I purchased a factory guage cluster w/tach, a new wiring harness for a tach car and going to a one wire MSD alternator. How do I rewire for a 1 wire alternator? What wires from the harness do I use and which ones do I not use? Do I need to just get the regular MSD alternator with all the wires?

thanks,

SW

fatlife
11-14-2006, 12:21 AM
If you have a 1 wire alt. All you need to do is run 1 single wire from the back of the alt to the battery. If the car had any wires going to the back of the alternator that was a pickup for battery power, you can leave them on the alternator or reroute to the battery, any other wires going to the alternator you can terminate or any plugs just don't use.

fatlife
11-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Or are you asking how to hook up the alt light for the new guage cluster? Post is confusing

Streetking
11-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Or are you asking how to hook up the alt light for the new guage cluster? Post is confusing

Sorry, I understand about hooking up one wire from alt. to battery, I need to know what to do with the rest of the wires that were originally hooked up to the regulator..

SW

AAW
11-14-2006, 09:52 AM
SW,

Be careful running your own wire for the alternator. If the gauge cluster you purchased is set up for an AMP meter, the AMP meter may not read properly since the path of the electricity is changed. If you're running a voltmeter, you should be okay.

As far as just hooking up the system the way that it exists, you can use the original harness but be careful to make sure that the primary feed wire is at least 10 gauge, since more than likely, the alternator is 100 amps plus.

Regarding the regulator wires, just cap them and tape them back to the trunk of the harness rather than cutting them out and damaging the harness.

Keep in mind that if the car has a generator light, it will no longer work. The field wire at the regulator is also the ground default on the generator light and since this is a 1 wire alternator and is self-exciting you no longer use the field wire.

Hope this helps. If you need any other assistance, let me know.

fatlife
11-14-2006, 10:46 AM
If the car had any wires going to the back of the alternator that was a pickup for battery power, you can leave them on the alternator or reroute to the battery, any other wires going to the alternator you can terminate or any plugs just don't use. :thumbsup:

Streetking
11-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the help!

SW