PDA

View Full Version : Crossmember for ZF 6 speed

Musclerodz
11-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Anybody know if there is an aftermarket crossmember for a ZF in a 68 Camaro? I think all the ones Steilow put in were cut up TH400 members. I just picked up a ZF 6 speed off ebay, Hopefully a good deal ($800). I read somewhere they were a stronger unit than the T56. Any opinions on the ZF tranny? Thanks.

Mike

Musclerodz
11-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Don't know how this ended up in Projects, should have been in the Tech area. Scott, if you want to move it go ahead.

Mike

Ummgawa
11-30-2004, 03:08 PM
See Jody Below.

camcojb
11-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Awesome trans, but impossible and extremely expensive to get parts for. Stronger than a standard T56, but a modded T56 is stronger still. Shifts like butter.

I do not know where to get a crossmember for that other than fabbing your own; I do not believe it's the same as a T56 crossmember.

Jody

Musclerodz
11-30-2004, 04:59 PM
I have found a couple of places to get parts, and no they are not cheap. I figured I would have to make one but I thought I would ask first. I remember reading that Steilow used ZF's in several of his earlier cars. I think he cut up a TH400 crossmember, but I would build from scratch first.

Mike

jannes_z-28
12-11-2004, 05:57 AM
I think it is easier to get parts for them over here. ZF is a major gearbox manufacturer for the European automotive industry.

If you want to I can try to find some sources here.

Jan

Musclerodz
12-11-2004, 04:11 PM
I was looking to see if there was possibly a bolt crossmember for first gen f-bodies using the ZF but I highly doubt it. I will more than likely have to make it.

Mike

USAZR1
04-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Parts are much easier to get,now. If you want a stout ZF built that can handle just about anything,contact Bill Boudreau at ZR51 Performance in Arizona. http://www.ZFDoc.com/
Tell him Clint said hello.

Twin_Turbo
05-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Bill Boudreau is indeed a very good source for parts. I live in the Netherlands and tried to get parts in Germany and they simply didn't have them or didn't know what I was asking, I had to get them from Bill even though the black tag ZF is made in Germany (the blue tag is made in the US).

As for a crossmember, I don't have a camaro but I made my own mount for the ZF, basically it's a ] shaped bracket that clamps around the c-beam mount and converts it to a normal trans mount. You could also try to get a tail section from a Lotus Omega, they used the same transmission w/ a different bell, no CAGS and a tailshaft for a normal rubber cushioned trans mount. I had the opportunity to get my hands on a couple of those trannies (all damaged, msot had small defects) but I let it pass..stupid me. I have a pic somewhere of the Omega mount, maybe they are available somewhere (inquire w/ lotus cars ltd?)

clill
05-25-2005, 08:37 AM
The red Witch has a ZF and it shifts much better than any T56 I have. It has about 17000 miles on it behind a 630 hp BB and has held up fine. I think it is a T400 member that has been modified but I don't have it here to confirm. I will ask Mark. I think the T400 crossmember is still available new from Chevrolet.

Twin_Turbo
05-25-2005, 08:50 AM
maybe of interest to some here, but the TH400 slip yoke fits perfectly in the ZF and uses a larger u joint than the stock C4 corvette shaft.