PDA

View Full Version : Radiators- aluminum vs copper/brass

LowchevyII
11-06-2006, 02:54 AM
what are the advantages and disadvantages in the different radiators?

sikryd
11-06-2006, 04:33 AM
Aluminum cools better, but copper / brass in my opinion lasts longer than aluminum. I have owned two aluminum radiators in my life and both had welds brake within a couple of years. That was on a street car with daily driving, if you don't drive your car daily you may have longer life. I may just be unlucky though, others may have different opinions on this issue.
I will be running a 4 core copper / brass radiator in my 67 Camaro, 468 bbc with dual electric fans.

LowchevyII
11-06-2006, 05:40 PM
yeah because ive been hearing in terms of price and durability, brass/copper was the way to go, but aluminum cools better and is close to impossible to repair. i'm looking for a radiator for my 70 nova that is soon to have a 383 with about 500 horse. its also going to be my daily driver though.

sikryd
11-06-2006, 07:34 PM
yeah because ive been hearing in terms of price and durability, brass/copper was the way to go, but aluminum cools better and is close to impossible to repair. i'm looking for a radiator for my 70 nova that is soon to have a 383 with about 500 horse. its also going to be my daily driver though.

I would personaly go with the copper / brass. The nova has a decent size grill, so as long as you get a 4 core you should be fine. You will also need a good electric fan, I'd say a single 16" 3,000 cfm would be good. A dual setup would be better, I ran a dual 11" spal fan setup in my 88 mustang with a 460 CID pushing about 550 HP and it worked great.

mazspeed
11-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Aluminum cools better, but copper / brass in my opinion lasts longer than aluminum. I have owned two aluminum radiators in my life and both had welds brake within a couple of years. That was on a street car with daily driving, if you don't drive your car daily you may have longer life. I may just be unlucky though, others may have different opinions on this issue.
I will be running a 4 core copper / brass radiator in my 67 Camaro, 468 bbc with dual electric fans.

Copper cools better then Aluminum. But Aluminum is a better way to go.

MaxHarvard
11-07-2006, 07:45 AM
I have had both and i would never go back to a copper core radiator. The advantages of having an aluminum one far out weigh the cons. My temp never gets above 190*... the copper one would run 200-210 on most days. Plus an aluminum radiator just looks better in my opinion.

clill
11-07-2006, 09:16 AM
My understanding is copper will transfer heat better than aluminum if both pieces are equal but aluminum radiators can be made with thinner material than copper and that is when it transfers heat better than copper.

71Nova
11-08-2006, 01:21 AM
LowChevy2 aluminum is way better. I have run both in my 71 nova. You need to watch out for Electrolysis because it can quickly ruin an aluminum radiator. Read about it and how to avoid it at this link to Ron Davis Tech. http://www.rondavisradiators.com/tech.htm It shows how to test for it before you have a prob. I could not be happier with my RD radiator They use the stock Nova radiator mount and just drop in.

David

deuce_454
11-08-2006, 11:05 AM
I just recieved two radiators from ron davis, one fro my 32 ford, and the other for my dads 65 mustang and the craftsmanship is just awesome, the fincount is higher that nay brass radiator ive ever seen and the fan shroud is just awesome.. i can only recomend them..

kennyd
11-08-2006, 12:05 PM
heat transfer is better on copper and brass than allum. . but they cannot make brass in a big tube like a allum.
i prefer allum also , easier to make it shine .

71Nova
11-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Speaking of radiators I remember meeting someone about 10 years ago at a car show that put an air conditioner filter in front of his radiator fins when he drove to keep the bugs out of it. That way it looked better at shows. I have not done it myself but thought some of you might like the idea.

David

LowchevyII
11-13-2006, 01:06 PM
thank you everyone for responding to my post. it has been nothing but helpful. im pretty certain i want to go with the ron davis aluminum with dual fans when funds permit. does anyone know if the radiator for the 70 novas from RonDavis can come with the cool fabbed catch can that attaches like in the pictures for 67-69 camaros?

GMachineDartGT
11-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Copper/brass with twin Spals. Cools my 410 11/1 stroker with a/c all day long. Never over 175 even in 100 degrees and traffic....

modmachR
11-13-2006, 04:53 PM
If you live in an area that has big seasonal changes go with copper/brass,
If you are in a climate that is fairly stable or warm and dry aluminium
is the cool tickte.

LowchevyII
11-13-2006, 09:51 PM
good to know GmachineDARTGT. It's going to be something to look into then price wise because im pretty set on aluminum but not on the price. that ron davis goes for about 975 according to the quote i recieved from them adn the becools follow close. but as for the last reply, i live in california so there really are no seasons here so i was definately considering aluminum.

71Nova
11-14-2006, 01:06 AM
LowChevy2 The pics of the radiator I put in on the first page of this thread are of my RD radiator for a 71 Nova so yes you can use the catch can on the nova radiator because that is what that radiator is for. 68-72. It would just drop in using the same mounts you already have. If you would rather have the flanges on the side like the Camaro's have they can do that to. If you are ever around Rancho Cucamonga you can check mine out if you would like.

David

LowchevyII
11-20-2006, 01:19 PM
thank you very much. i live in anaheim so its not to bad of a drive. but if im ever up there or you are down here for a show let me know. i would love to check it out and get some ideas.

71Nova
11-21-2006, 03:37 AM
Thats cool that you are so close. I went threw anaheim last friday on my way to classic industries. If I don't meet you before, I am going to go to the toys for tots car show at hooters Ontario mills next month. I forget the date but it is in the events page of the forum. Maybe I will see you there.

4SpeedGirl
11-23-2006, 02:43 AM
My understanding is copper will transfer heat better than aluminum if both pieces are equal but aluminum radiators can be made with thinner material than copper and that is when it transfers heat better than copper.

i was hoping no one said that because i was going to be stoked to answer with that!

I could not agree more on that statement, also it seems alum radiators come in many more sizes than copper and always look better! :thumbsup:

clill
11-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Naner Naner...Congrats on the nice Hot Rod article.

4SpeedGirl
11-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks man !

Roger Poirier
11-27-2006, 01:26 PM
One key is alumn. is a lot lighter. Big time.

R.P.