PDA

View Full Version : Pic of new Stewart Warner guages..

Steve1968LS2
10-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Just started installing the new guages. The only reason I went with new ones is because most of the old ones were mechanical and electric are easier to use with an LS2.

Anyways, I expected the guages to be the typical perimiter lighting deal. I was very happy to see they are "glow through" design like a modern car. Very easy to read.

I was also impressed with their LED system. All you do is remove the bulb and plug in a small circut board with 2 or 4 LEDs on it. Pretty slick idea. You use a board with 4 LEDs for a large guage and one with 2 LEDs for a smaller guage so the lighting is consistent. I got red but they come in many colors.

Anyways, just thought I would share..

http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/siihp/red.jpg

Mike Hall
10-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Oh man, I will have a set of those for sure. Where do you buy these?

Mike

uk68327
10-15-2006, 03:47 PM
They look awesome :wow: - shame I've already gone for Autometer Phantoms........

Steve1968LS2
10-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Oh man, I will have a set of those for sure. Where do you buy these?

Mike

I'm sure there are tons of places to buy SW guages.. I got mine direct.

The nice part is what a large selection they have. They had what I wanted in the larger 2 5/8 size and even had the 200mph (I'm a dreamer) speedo I wanted. About the only guage they didn't have was a clock, Although I heard they do make one.

The LED system is sweet. They also have a "Chameleon" system that can be set to almost any color and changed at will via a control on the dash.

fatlife
10-15-2006, 04:25 PM
They also have a "Chameleon" system that can be set to almost any color and changed at will via a control on the dash.

because who knows when you will need to change the color of your dash lights on a wim! :rolleyes:

Those look good, the stewart warners always looked good but IMO almost too much of a knock off of an autometer but after seeing yours I'm beginning to like these

Steve1968LS2
10-15-2006, 04:31 PM
because who knows when you will need to change the color of your dash lights on a wim! :rolleyes:

Those look good, the stewart warners always looked good but IMO almost too much of a knock off of an autometer but after seeing yours I'm beginning to like these

Hey, different strokes for different folks.. must be some sort of demand since the new Mustang offers this option ;)

Who's been around longer? SW or Autometer? sorta hard to say one knocks off the other. How many different ways is there to make a guage?

Here's thier LED system.. simply take out the bulb and plug in the LED of your choice. This is a 4-led bulb. They even make white light for Cody :)

http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/siihp/led.jpg

fatlife
10-15-2006, 05:42 PM
I'd bet SW has been around longer, either way they look like a knock off. However that look is a good one, and they made these look nice too. I'd like to try them out sometime nice to get a change from all autometer that has been in almost every car I've had.

That plug looks identical to autometers, do you think steward warners leds would work with an autometer?

radrambler
10-15-2006, 06:08 PM
steven

nice photo of the guages..your car is coming out great.....
very very sharp

radrambler

Steve1968LS2
10-15-2006, 06:56 PM
I'd bet SW has been around longer, either way they look like a knock off. However that look is a good one, and they made these look nice too. I'd like to try them out sometime nice to get a change from all autometer that has been in almost every car I've had.

That plug looks identical to autometers, do you think steward warners leds would work with an autometer?

Good question.. if a SW bulb will work in a AM plug then yes.. I already know that a AM plug will NOT snap into the back of an SW guage (tried and snapped the plug).

I will try and see if it will go.

fatlife
10-15-2006, 08:15 PM
thanks, autometer doesn't make a clear LED, and the stock bulbs don't work very well with the CF guages.

Damn True
10-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Isn't the "Warner" in "Borg/Warner Trophy" somehow related to Stewart Warner?

WestCoast67
10-31-2006, 02:09 PM
How much was each little circuit board w/ LED's? I assume for my two big 5" gauges I'd need a bigger circuit board w/ more LED's on it. I just wanna get rid of the crappy bulb lighting that they came with!

WestCoast67
12-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Any input?