PDA

View Full Version : Sema Newsletter about CONSUMER ATTENDEES

96z28ss
10-05-2006, 11:38 AM
SEMA SHOW CLAMPS DOWN ON CONSUMER ATTENDEES

Connecting businesses and buyers is the fundamental goal of the SEMA Show, and under the direction of the SEMA Board of Directors and the Show Committee, efforts have intensified to ensure the event maintains its trade-only status.

Attendees at the 2006 SEMA Show, for example, will be required to establish their trade status by providing proof of employment at an automotive-related business during the on-site registration process. Individuals will not be admitted simply for showing up with a company’s representative.

In addition, SEMA has increased attention to applications from states near or neighboring Nevada, locales within an easy drive of Las Vegas. Show Management also continues to monitor enthusiast websites for “chatter” about the Show.

For 2006, the badge and badgeholders have been updated. Last year’s badgeholder, for example, will not gain entrance to this year’s Show. Return attendees have been issued Legacy numbers to ensure their continued value to exhibitors. Finally, exhibitors or attendees can call a Show Hotline number printed on the badge to report consumers they believe may be in the Show under false pretenses.

“It’s natural that enthusiast consumers would want to visit the year’s finest collection of automotive speed and style,” says Peter MacGillivray, SEMA VP of Communications and Marketing. “But we also recognize that our primary obligation is to our members, to maximize the time, money and effort they spend at the greatest automotive show in the world.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that they should make Saturday the day after the show open to consumers and general public. That way it everyone gets to see the cars.

DRJDVM's '69
10-05-2006, 05:33 PM
So if you're pre-registered and approved are you good to go, or do they expect you to bring documentation to the event also ??

camcojb
10-05-2006, 05:56 PM
So if you're pre-registered and approved are you good to go, or do they expect you to bring documentation to the event also ??

This should be for walk-up traffic. I've already received my badge, and anyone pre-registered should have also, unless you waited too long. In that case you pick them up at the event.

With the badge you simply need ID and a business card (or similar) from your business to prove who you are.

Jody

Kris Horton
10-05-2006, 06:21 PM
The crack-down has it's good and bad points, as with anything. I'm glad that they are aiming to make SEMA industry-exclusive in that it will keep the show from being over-crowded by keeping out the Average Joe's that are there just to look at the cars. But at the same time, SEMA is so hyped up as this awesome car show, that it's almost cruel to car guys that are not tied into the industry by waving the show in front of them and then barring them from entering.

Bob's idea of making one day open to the public is a good one. I know they kinda already do that by opening up the show to AAPEX showgoers on Friday.

It'll be interesting to see how effective the "crackdown" is this year though.

Kris

Steve1968LS2
10-05-2006, 06:53 PM
The crack-down has it's good and bad points, as with anything. I'm glad that they are aiming to make SEMA industry-exclusive in that it will keep the show from being over-crowded by keeping out the Average Joe's that are there just to look at the cars. But at the same time, SEMA is so hyped up as this awesome car show, that it's almost cruel to car guys that are not tied into the industry by waving the show in front of them and then barring them from entering.

Bob's idea of making one day open to the public is a good one. I know they kinda already do that by opening up the show to AAPEX showgoers on Friday.

It'll be interesting to see how effective the "crackdown" is this year though.

Kris

If I had a dollar for every person that has asked me to "get them in".. It would be great if they had an "joe public day".. so much cool stuff to see.

96z28ss
10-05-2006, 06:56 PM
If I had a dollar for every person that has asked me to "get them in".. It would be great if they had an "joe public day".. so much cool stuff to see.

The President of our company was telling us he knows, 3 companies that won't be at Sema this year cause of what Sema has turned into. I guess last year was the last straw with the girls dancing on the towers outside and the drag racing on the strip.

I think that Tuesday - Friday should be trade people only and Saturday should be a public show Maybe even at a different location just all the car outside for everyone to see. $15 tickets and Sema could make a bundle of extra cash. I don't think any other car show could touch the one SEMA could have as far as the caliber of cars at one time at a single location.

Rick D
10-06-2006, 08:42 AM
The only problem with a open to the public day is just like Comsumer Electronics Show. They tried that here in Chicago but come Sunday when it was open to the public more than half on the companys where gone. So than the stopped it. Just a thought.

Silver69Camaro
10-06-2006, 08:47 AM
But at the same time, SEMA is so hyped up as this awesome car show, that it's almost cruel to car guys that are not tied into the industry by waving the show in front of them and then barring them from entering.

Kris

But is that the fault of SEMA, or the public (and magazines)?

ScotI
10-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I don't really understand SEMAs logic. The consumers are where a lot of the money comes from.

I went in 04 & really enjoyed the show. There was much to see from all of the new parts offered. It just seems to me that businesses would benefit more if more car guys could see what's being offered.

CraigMorrison
10-08-2006, 07:56 PM
But this is a trade show for buyers to make deals and business relationships to get strengthened. Wholesale & jobber pricing are the numbers that get thrown around. It is a place for manufacturers to show off their latest and greatest to their buyers: other businesses and warehouses.

If there was a joe-public day at SEMA, it would be beyond busy. Shoulder to shoulder, insane! Manufactures would have to switch hats and talk directly with consumers and discuss retail pricing....sometimes they aren't good at that kind of stuff. Not to mention companies like Keystone. They never deal with the public. What good would it be for them to spend a day doing so?

It would be frustrating for all the businesses because of the tire kickers (remember they are there to talk to the jobbers and warehouses) and all of the "enthusiasts" would probably get tired of fighting the crowds. In the end, it would burn everybody out.

I think part of the mistique of the show is that everybody can't get in. That mistique only gets built up and urban legends spin off about meeting that famous guy or seeing so and so or that ex-playmate booth babe. Or about how a friend of a friend's buddy scored tickets to the DUB Magazine party and got to party with Lil Kim. :lol:

just playing devil's advocate.......don't flame too hard :_paranoid

ScotI
10-08-2006, 08:39 PM
But this is a trade show for buyers to make deals and business relationships to get strengthened. Wholesale & jobber pricing are the numbers that get thrown around. It is a place for manufacturers to show off their latest and greatest to their buyers: other businesses and warehouses.

If there was a joe-public day at SEMA, it would be beyond busy. Shoulder to shoulder, insane! Manufactures would have to switch hats and talk directly with consumers and discuss retail pricing....sometimes they aren't good at that kind of stuff. Not to mention companies like Keystone. They never deal with the public. What good would it be for them to spend a day doing so?

It would be frustrating for all the businesses because of the tire kickers (remember they are there to talk to the jobbers and warehouses) and all of the "enthusiasts" would probably get tired of fighting the crowds. In the end, it would burn everybody out.

I think part of the mistique of the show is that everybody can't get in. That mistique only gets built up and urban legends spin off about meeting that famous guy or seeing so and so or that ex-playmate booth babe. Or about how a friend of a friend's buddy scored tickets to the DUB Magazine party and got to party with Lil Kim. :lol:

just playing devil's advocate.......don't flame too hard :_paranoid
I guess that will be my one & only time to attend then. I make better money in a non automotive field or I would be doing just that. When I went in 04, it was w/my friends shop (where I help out @ nights during the week).

This year, there will be a car @ SEMA that their shop contributed on but I guess I won't get to be part of things.

ProdigyCustoms
10-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Good job Craig. It is difficult to explain the difference in a 'Trade show" and a retail display. I guess you and I are taking the hit for all the other manufactures. I am sure there are a few people just griting their teeth wanting to flame. I tried to explain in a post over at Pro Touring, I copyied it to paste here.

I think where the problem comes in is when Mr. Retail ties up a manufacturer with 100 questions about one product, for one car, that he "MIGHT" use on a car he "MIGHT" build. In the meantime a distributor that sells, or wants to sell, multiples of all that Manufacturers products has to wait until the manufacturer is finished with Mr. retail to discuss new products, sales ideas, and general business. So what ends up happening is either the distributor moves on, or waits, which tightens his schedule more, or, the manufacturer has to tell Mr retail, sorry, times up! Which pisses off Mr retail.

The fact of the matter is SEMA is a "Trade Show". Manufactures set up in 100s of retail freindly enviroments to address Mr. Retail. At those shows they are focused on the end user.

I know from many conversations that many manufacturers enjoyed the new Orlando location for PRI if for no other reason so they were not inindated with every shop mechanic and race team in Indy. Being in Florida made it a little harder for these guy's to make the show, and left more real distributor buyers to come to the show. And the distributor buyers are who these "Trade Shows" are for.

Also, I have heard from a few displaying companies that with so many consumers getting in, that this year if the badge does not say BUYER, they may not get attention

I can surely understand the retail car fanatics desire to see the cool cars, models, etc. If I was not in the game, I would probably want to sneak in also.

Steve Firebird
10-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Some how it seems wrong to hype the show up so much to us "Joe Retail" guys and slam the door shut in our faces. Just turn on speed channel for a while and there it is with them telling you what an awsome thing it is.

ScotI
10-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Good job Craig. It is difficult to explain the difference in a 'Trade show" and a retail display. I guess you and I are taking the hit for all the other manufactures. I am sure there are a few people just griting their teeth wanting to flame.... I can surely understand the retail car fanatics desire to see the cool cars, models, etc. If I was not in the game, I would probably want to sneak in also.
I do understand it's a trade show. My dilemma is I'm not a paid employee of said shop but I do help after hours. Therefore when the shop guys go (w/their proof of business/employment) I don't have that & won't be allowed in.

My interest is to check out all the various items that potentially are available (regardless of price) so I can help make educated decisions when I assist my friends @ the shop.

I guess guys like me are SOL.

kennyd
10-09-2006, 03:28 PM
tell the shop you work at to put you on the payroll . 1.00 per hour , get a paycheck , go to sema .

ScotI
10-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I thought of doing some sort of 'end around' but did not want to jepordize the shops reputation. Kenny D's suggestion would be legit & might be worth pursuing.

96z28ss
10-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Its a trade show and I fully agree with the statements made above.
The company I work for has a pretty big booth every year and it is just for talking to suppliers like Keystone, Summit Racing etc... They just want to talk to the big guys buying a 18 wheeler truck load at a time.

On the hand I'm a real car guy and the SEMA show is hyped up alot in the magazines and on TV.
I think that they should put on a consumer show the day after. Even if its just the cars and not the booths. They could do the show the day after in another building and if the part manufactures like Holley, Edelbrock etc.. want to switch to retail, let them they already have the booth and displays there.

Damn True
10-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Good job Craig. It is difficult to explain the difference in a 'Trade show" and a retail display. I guess you and I are taking the hit for all the other manufactures. I am sure there are a few people just griting their teeth wanting to flame. I tried to explain in a post over at Pro Touring, I copyied it to paste here.

I think where the problem comes in is when Mr. Retail ties up a manufacturer with 100 questions about one product, for one car, that he "MIGHT" use on a car he "MIGHT" build. In the meantime a distributor that sells, or wants to sell, multiples of all that Manufacturers products has to wait until the manufacturer is finished with Mr. retail to discuss new products, sales ideas, and general business. So what ends up happening is either the distributor moves on, or waits, which tightens his schedule more, or, the manufacturer has to tell Mr retail, sorry, times up! Which pisses off Mr retail.

The fact of the matter is SEMA is a "Trade Show". Manufactures set up in 100s of retail freindly enviroments to address Mr. Retail. At those shows they are focused on the end user.

I know from many conversations that many manufacturers enjoyed the new Orlando location for PRI if for no other reason so they were not inindated with every shop mechanic and race team in Indy. Being in Florida made it a little harder for these guy's to make the show, and left more real distributor buyers to come to the show. And the distributor buyers are who these "Trade Shows" are for.

Also, I have heard from a few displaying companies that with so many consumers getting in, that this year if the badge does not say BUYER, they may not get attention

I can surely understand the retail car fanatics desire to see the cool cars, models, etc. If I was not in the game, I would probably want to sneak in also.

Except that what's in the best interest of distributors and retailers (margin & volume) is often not what's in the best interest of consumers. I'm certain that there is a myriad of products that Joe Consumer never sees because distribution buyers don't see a large enough market for it.
Small startup companies usually don't have the operating capital to support running all over the country to hawk their wares to end users the way Big-Ed, Holley etc do so they save up for the industry trade show in hopes of getting their gizmo into distribution if not the "hot parts" section of PHR or the like. If that fails because the gizmo is a niche item the product never get's seen.
The same thing happens in the bicycle & motorcycle industries.

Surely there are entrants at SEMA who do not produce consumer products and for them, an open format, or even an open day or two serves no purpose. But, if those types of entrants split after the "trade" portion it would open things up for more of a consumer type show.

Again, a double edged sword to be sure. If they didn't make the change the SEMA membership gets hurt. By making the change they can hurt the niche type companies and the consumers.