PDA

View Full Version : 68 Camaro TH400 to T56 swap Help

ONyX
10-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Hey guys, im new to this forum and it looks like you guys no more about this topic than most so Ill ask here. I have a 68 Camaro with a 383 SBC. It has a TH400 right now. Im looking to swap a T56 in so I want to start getting evertying together. Ive read a bunch of posts on this subject but there is so many combanatios to go about doing this Im getting confused. From what i have seen so far the eayest looks to be ueing the 93-97 Fbody T56. So what im looking for is a parts list of what i need to do the swap along with some guidlines. I will need everyting from the flywheel back. Its a 383 so the 350 flywheels wont work (99% surethey wont). Any help will be welcome. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Mkelcy
10-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Hey guys, im new to this forum and it looks like you guys no more about this topic than most so Ill ask here. I have a 68 Camaro with a 383 SBC. It has a TH400 right now. Im looking to swap a T56 in so I want to start getting evertying together. Ive read a bunch of posts on this subject but there is so many combanatios to go about doing this Im getting confused. From what i have seen so far the eayest looks to be ueing the 93-97 Fbody T56. So what im looking for is a parts list of what i need to do the swap along with some guidlines. I will need everyting from the flywheel back. Its a 383 so the 350 flywheels wont work (99% surethey wont). Any help will be welcome. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:The LT1 T56 you're referring to is one way to do the swap, but generally requires an expensive after-market flywheel, the "pull" style clutch and LT1 hydraulic clutch linkage. The LS1 T56 can be swapped in using the factory mechanical clutch linkage and standard SBC parts. At this point, they are pretty much equally easy, with the LS1 T56 likely being a cheaper swap. I'd strongly suggest doing further searches here and over at Pro-touring.com and Camaros.net, as I and others have posted on this topic literally dozens of times.

71Nova
11-14-2006, 01:39 AM
I agree about searching for threads on this topic. Personally I used a 97 z28 T56 and really like the hydrolic clutch. My car was originally an auto car so I did not have any mechanical linkage already there. It was very easy to mount the hydro master cylinder and get it to work corectly. I used a Mcloud master and flywheel/clutch setup. ATS makes a mount that goes between your brake booster and firewall that mounts the hydrolics. Also if you stick with a 97 or before tranz the bell housing will bolt up to your block. for a list of aditional parts you would need check out ATS's facts page. There is a list at the bottom of the page. Tyler at ATS is a very good person to talk to if you need any other questions answered. They also make the best tranz crossmember for a t56 http://www.t56kit.com/FAQ/