PDA

View Full Version : Painless or American Autowire kits

Moabdude
10-03-2006, 06:20 AM
I want to buy a new complete wiring kit for my 68-camaro.
Anyone experience with installing these kits?

Do I have to buy the specific Camaro 67-68 kit or does a cheaper universal 12 or 18 Circuit kit work fine as well?

What is the difference between Painless kits and American Autowire kits?

shanekennedy
10-03-2006, 06:39 AM
can't speak for painless, but i was pleased w/ american autowire. i bought the specific kit for my 68. used to be a guy on ebay who sold AA kits on the cheap side. you can also get the kit from classic industries during 1 of their 20% off sales.

XcYZ
10-03-2006, 07:30 AM
What are you looking to do? Is the car more or less stock? I chose the American Autowire Highway 22 kit because of everything that I've changed/modified on my car. It's an extremely high quality kit. :thumbsup:

AAW
10-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Do I have to buy the specific Camaro 67-68 kit or does a cheaper universal 12 or 18 Circuit kit work fine as well?

The main difference in a generic 12 or 18 circuit panel such as our Power Plus 12 or 18 or a Painless Kit VS. our Classic Update Camaro Kit is how complete the kits are.

The Power Plus, or similar kits, while very high in quality, are extremely incomplete compared to the Classic Update Kits. Keep in mind that these kits were purposefully designed to be generic - as they had to work in many applications, not one, as the Classic Updates do.

The Classic Update Kits include all the light sockets, connectors, terminals, and wire circuits that you will need to hook up anything from a slightly modified stock car to an heavily modified pro-touring car. You even get new updated ignition, headlight, and dimmer switches. The extra value that all these items bring to the table is why those kits are slightly more expensive.

If you choose to use a generic kit, from any manufacturer, be prepared to cut and splice 60+ wires using your 40 year old pigtails and switch connectors - which really isn't a very good idea. All the detail items that you get in the Classic Update Kits are not available seperately and if they were would cost an additional $200 - $300.

I hope this helps answer your question and thank you for asking it.

ProdigyCustoms
10-03-2006, 08:03 AM
There is nothing "painless" about a painless kit. I am finishing a painless kit for a customer that could not do it himself after trying. What a PIA.

For your Camaro, the American Autowire Classic Update is the hot set up, and you can get a deal at the GPSuperStore.com

ProTouring442
10-03-2006, 08:15 AM
I have installed two Painless generic 18 circut kits. They aren't very difficult if you understand wiring, but if you aren't good at it, I don't recomend you wiring your own car unless you use a specific model type of kit. On my car, where I have changed how 80% of the car works, it made sense to go with the generic kit.

I will say however, that the Painless kit has (or had) a defect. There is a connector made of a white semi-transparent plastic that will not take the amperage draw that the fuse panel is rated for. Fortunately, no fires. Unfortunately, it did lead to a breakdown, but we were lucky in that the break down happened in the driveway! It wasn't easy to get to that connector with the car together either. A bit of solder and heat shrink and it was all fixed, but it could have lead to dissaster. I don't know if they still use this connector in the universal kits.

In the future, I will use mostly AAW products as their customer service seems better to me.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

syborg tt
10-03-2006, 08:26 AM
American Autowire would be my first choice

Speedster
10-03-2006, 12:42 PM
AAW is the way to go...

Moabdude
10-04-2006, 04:07 AM
thanks guys,
but I have a simple Camaro with not a lot of electronics.
I have no:
- airco
- heater/blower (took it out to make a smooth firewall)
- electric fuel pump
- electric waterpump
- power windows
- power doorlocks
- RS headlight doors
I have:
- autometer gauges
- led taillights (on order)
- xenon headligths (on order)
- 1 wire alternator

do I really need the special Camaro kit?
do you think the generic 12 circuit kit will do fine?
what Painless or AAW kit do I have to Choose?

well thanks guys!!!!

XcYZ
10-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Maybe you should just call the American Autowire sales number and have them explain your options to you and see what would work best for you.

fatlife
10-04-2006, 10:19 AM
I've installed 3 painless wiring kits and never had any problems. I've never used an AAW so I can't comment on theirs. One thing that painless has going for them and I'm not sure if AAW offers this, is that Painless makes a really killer fuse block, it mounts right where the old one went, has an integrated horn relay and uses the new Mini blade fuses.

Almost every other wire kit manufacturer uses a generic fuse block board that you have to unconvienantly mount somwhere under the dash, and then you have to fill in the stock hole in the firewall. This also means that you have to route all of your engine bay wires thourgh a hole/grommet in the firewall. So you can not disconnect the engine harness at the firewall anymore, which to me sucks. If AAW offers a bolt in fuse block then I see no reason not go with their systems.

I have had no problems with painless whatsoever, they have great tech people too.

mazspeed
10-04-2006, 04:28 PM
I have a Painless in my car, but have other AAW products. Let's put it this way, I should have had everything from AAW. I didn't know till it was too late. Also the customer service which is key, is one of the best things AAW does. They are so good that I consider Theresa from AAW a friend. That's how they make you feel. You cannot beat that.

fatlife
10-04-2006, 05:35 PM
so what was wrong with the painless?

Damn True
10-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Do the AAW kits have a provision for integration to LSx?

ProTouring442
10-05-2006, 05:32 AM
so what was wrong with the painless?

I had a problem with two of their generic 18 circut kits. A connector wasn't up to the job they were using it for. I don't know if they still use this connector or if it is in any of their other kits. Other than that, I had no problems.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

AAW
10-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Do the AAW kits have a provision for integration to LSx?

Yes.

The kits have spare circuits for battery & ignition. Fuel injection systems are stand alone systems that require interface for battery, ignition and grounds. On our Highway 22 panel there is a direct connection labeled EFI battery and EFI ground - on all the other kits you would use an extra circuit or a spare circuit generically labeled for battery or ignition.

black67ls1
10-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I used the AAW classic update kit in my 67 Camaro. I was very happy with the quality and completeness of the kit. One thing they don't tell you up front is that you need a MetriPak crimper to make the correct "butterfly" crimps. That was another +$100 including shipping. Then when you get around to connecting the alternator output wire and dash power (larger gauge wire) you'll need another crimper at +$100. I was not happy about this. Maybe their other product ... original style harness doesn't require this?
Also, if you have aftermarket guages, the "instrument kit" that comes with the classic update kit is not much use. I ended up using auto parts store style "crush crimp" ring connectors. I'm sure they sell butterfly style ring terminals and shrink tubing ... again another shipment. On the plus side, they were very helpful with their tech support. One more thing. I've only done this once, but it seems that there will always be at least one place where you need igition switched power. The fuse box has several places to get this power, so why not supply a few of those terminals/connectors that plug into the fuse box.

fatlife
10-05-2006, 11:00 AM
still interested to find out if AAW supplies an updated stock replacement fuse block? That is the deal breaker for me. I hate those stupid hot rod put anywhere universal fuse blocks that don't allow for a clean removal of the engine harness from the under dash harness

AAW
10-05-2006, 11:08 AM
still interested to find out if AAW supplies an updated stock replacement fuse block?
Our Classic Update harness includes an updated replacement fuse block,
with a bulkhead disconnect for engine and front light harnesses - just
like the original.

fatlife
10-05-2006, 11:30 AM
pic? sounds good, how much does the classic update kit cost for say a first gen camaro?

AAW
10-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Here are the pages from our new catalog. The text is bit small for web viewing, but I wanted to get you photos as requested. The catalog pages, as you can see, break down each section of the harness so you can see where they go and lists all the kit inclusions.

1967 - 1968 Camaro Classic Update Kit Pic (http://www.americanautowire.com/products/1967_68_camaro_classicupdate.cfm)

1969 Camaro Classic Update Kit Pic (http://www.americanautowire.com/products/1969_Camaro_ClassicUpdate.cfm)

It's retail price is $499 currently, (there will be a slight price increase when the catalogs hit the streets in November) but you can check with dealers to obtain their dealer pricing. :thumbsup:

Damn True
10-05-2006, 12:25 PM
zoiks, that's an intimidating mass of wires

ProTouring442
10-05-2006, 02:41 PM

Nah, even when you're totally termintating them yourself, you just take it one wire at a time!

Looks like a super nice kit too! I have purchased sever items from AAW and found them to be of very high quality.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

fatlife
10-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Here are the pages from our new catalog. The text is bit small for web viewing, but I wanted to get you photos as requested. The catalog pages, as you can see, break down each section of the harness so you can see where they go and lists all the kit inclusions.

1967 - 1968 Camaro Classic Update Kit Pic (http://www.americanautowire.com/products/1967_68_camaro_classicupdate.cfm)

1969 Camaro Classic Update Kit Pic (http://www.americanautowire.com/products/1969_Camaro_ClassicUpdate.cfm)

It's retail price is $499 currently, (there will be a slight price increase when the catalogs hit the streets in November) but you can check with dealers to obtain their dealer pricing. :thumbsup:

Wow, thats killer! Looks like the same identical fuse block from painless that I liked so much. That is definetly a nice looking kit. I was skeptical at first but after reading that, that kit looks great! Regardless though It doesn't look like you guys offer such a kit for second gens or a kit for 70/71/72 etc. If you did I would regret not going with you guys. Only thing I see missing is a relay and circuit for maybe an alarm with starter kill, and for it to operate the power door locks but even so its not hard to ad stuff yourself. I had to rewire 1/3 of the painless wiring harness to do what I wanted. :thumbsup:

zbugger
10-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Actually, just lay it out and it's REALLY nice. I just wish they made a nice kit for my '77.

mazspeed
10-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Actually, just lay it out and it's REALLY nice. I just wish they made a nice kit for my '77.
I don't think they make a kit for a pinto :P

fatlife
10-06-2006, 12:19 AM
I thought it was a Gremlin??? Did he upgrade? :lol:

rockdogz
10-06-2006, 12:34 AM
I used the Painless kit - bought before I heard of AAW. Looking at the pic, AAW's kit is more complete - the Painless kit didn't come with 1,9,and 14. In other words, the headlight and ignition switches, plus the boots that go around the front parking lights.
:thumbsup:

zbugger
10-06-2006, 12:51 AM
My '77 Camaro, you bed buddies.

Moabdude
10-06-2006, 02:07 AM
So what do I do?
I don't need the classic update set because I have many parts not installed (heater, ac, standard gauges, etc.)

what AAW kit is the one to go with: Highway or Powerplus?
what is the real difference between these 2 kits.
I also want this fuse block to fit my stock hole in the firewall.

please help!

XcYZ
10-06-2006, 07:17 AM
So what do I do? please help!

You call 1-800-482-WIRE and ask the American Autowire sales department which of their products would work best for you.

fatlife
10-06-2006, 12:19 PM
My '77 Camaro, you bed buddies.
I thought they quit making camaros?

ohcbird
10-15-2006, 01:48 AM
Moabdude-

If you want, I'm getting an update kit from AAW, so I won't be using my Painless kit (which sounds like a good fit for yours, as you don't need as many circuits as I do). Drop me a line if you're interested. I can help you get it setup if you like; I'm one of the few that really enjoys wiring (I build custom harnesses).

hartjeffATcomcastDOTnet