PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Help

carkrazy1987
09-17-2006, 01:01 PM
okie dokie, i need help with the rear section of my wireing harness. i have 3 wire that i am comfused about. i have a (1) brake light wire (2) marker light (3) turn signal. now i have a 71 nova which the harness should be like most camaro. the brake lamp socket only has 2 wire, for a dual fillament bulb. now how would i go about wireing something like this?

Sparky
09-17-2006, 10:33 PM
A Nova Rear Taillight shares the Brake Light/Turn Signal Circuit. The Brake Light wire comes off the Brake Switch (White wire) and goes to the Turn Signal Switch in the Steering Column, through the Turn Signal Switch and out to the Taillights via the Yellow Wire (Left Turn/Brake) and Dark Green (Right Turn/ Brake).
When you have the Brakes applied and Turn on the Turn Signal. The Turn Signal Switch cancels the Brake Light circuit and engages the Turn Signal circuit through the same Yellow and/or Green wire depending if it’s the Left or Right Turn Signal that you turn on.
With the two wires that you have coming out of your taillight socket, one of them will be a Brake/Turn Signal and the other will be a Taillight or Run Light, the socket finds ground through the Taillight assembly.

I hope this helps,
Sparky

ProBell
09-18-2006, 05:24 AM
Well put Sparky

awr68
09-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Sparky, very well writen and right to the point! I had no idea how this worked either, ie, threw the column and all. Thanks for the info!!

carkrazy1987
09-18-2006, 07:46 PM
thanks alot for the help,now im just gonna have to run new wires or rewire some ixisting wires. the lesson today is cheap isnt always better.

ProTouring442
09-19-2006, 05:01 AM
okie dokie, i need help with the rear section of my wireing harness. i have 3 wire that i am comfused about. i have a (1) brake light wire (2) marker light (3) turn signal. now i have a 71 nova which the harness should be like most camaro. the brake lamp socket only has 2 wire, for a dual fillament bulb. now how would i go about wireing something like this?

What harness are you using?

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

AAW
09-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Sparky's post was very good. :thumbsup:

There are actually several factors that determine how you will wire your car, and in your situation, it'd be helpful to know:
What type of kit are you using?
What turn signal switch?

If the brake wire you refer to is the third brake, it will have no bearing on wiring into the tail lights of a stock bodied car. Many aftermarket manufacturers are now incorporating a third brake light wire into their harnesses.

Basically, you should have 4 wires going to the back of the car at a minimum:
Left hand turn & brake (which should be yellow)
Right hand turn & brake (which should be dark green)
Running & side marker (which should be brown) which is common throughout the back of the car
Fuel sending unit wire (which is tan)

Optional would be the back-up light wiring which is usually light green. Of course, you'd have to make sure to ground the side markers and be sure your tail light bodies have good grounds.

carkrazy1987
09-20-2006, 07:20 PM
i have an ez-wire kit 21 circuit kit,it has left turn, right turn, reverse, and brake( no left brake or right brake) im using factory turn signal switch at the moment.

Sparky
09-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Where is the “Brake” wire coming from (where does it originate from)?
If it originates from the Stop Lamp Switch off of the Brake Pedal, then it’s very possible that the “Brake” wire should go to the Column Connector Terminal “P”. This will combine the Turn/Brake Signal through the Left Turn and Right Turn Wires.

Or as Theresa from AAW stated, it might be that the “Brake” wire is the Third Brake Light Wire (CHMSL- Center High Mounted Stop Lamp).

Sorry I’m not familiar with the “EZ-Wire” kit. I usually make my own Harnesses from scratch, primarily because most of my work is Racecar applications.
Any types of “Street Cars” and/or Restorations I get into I usually use AAW.

I hope this helps,
Sparky

ProTouring442
09-21-2006, 05:11 AM
I'd have to agree, I think the "turn signal" wire is the brake/turn signal, and the "brake" wire is a third brake light. This is how my Painless kit worked as well. The "parking light" wire will be the tail lights and side markers.

One way to check: with a jumper on the turn signal flasher, and the turn signals on (left or right) you should have continuity between one of the tunr signal wires and one of the brake light terminals.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

carkrazy1987
09-22-2006, 08:29 PM
it might be so that the brake wire is for a 3rd brake light, i was just going on how the wireing diagrams/ instructions that came with the kit says to do it. i may end up having to modify it a lil to make it work the way i want it. id try some of the ideas to test this wireing but i found out today the turn signal switch is broken, due to previous owner instaling an aftermarket wheel and f***ing everything up. but i have my brake lights hooked up so i can drive it, i just have to be careful when changing lanes or turning, since i dont have blinkers. This car has turned out to be alil more of a mess then i had expected for a first project, but their is no better way then to learn, besides im the only 18yr old in west palm with a nova. :D