PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro T56 help

*hotrods*
09-10-2006, 08:05 AM
I just purchased a 1994 t56 that has been Viperized for my Indy Pace Car. I want to go with the manual clutch if possible but don't want to do any tunnel mods. I also have done my math and it seems that the hydraulic clutch is more expensive and I need to use my flywheel due to the motor being balanced with it. Can someone tell me the best way to do this as well as the best place to purchase the parts?

Kevin

Mkelcy
09-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I just purchased a 1994 t56 that has been Viperized for my Indy Pace Car. I want to go with the manual clutch if possible but don't want to do any tunnel mods. I also have done my math and it seems that the hydraulic clutch is more expensive and I need to use my flywheel due to the motor being balanced with it. Can someone tell me the best way to do this as well as the best place to purchase the parts?

Kevin

1. What car? A first gen, or something later?

2. What engine? Traditional SBC or BBC, or an LSx? The LSx has no boss on the engine on which to mount the Z bar.

3. What does Viperized mean? Main shaft and internal gears, or input shaft as well? Depending on how long the input shaft in your T56 is, you may be fine. Measure your input shaft from where the transmission mates with the bellhousing. If it's (roughly) 7.0" long, it's a Viper input, 6.5" long, it's from an LS1 T56, and 5.5" long makes it from an LT1 T56. If it's an LT1 style T56, a mechanical linkage is going to be virtually impossible unless you swap input shafts (but talk to Mcleod to confirm this. The key is the ability to run a "push" style clutch). If it's 6.5" - 7" inches long, and you're using a traditional SBC/BBC, McLeod makes the adpaters (LS1 T56) or bellhousings (Viper T56) you need to run the OEM clutch set up in your car. The LS1 input shaft results in the cheapest swap unless you want to run a scattershield, in which case there's little difference in cost between adapting the the LS1 or the Viper T56's to your engine. Assuming you've got a 2.66:1 first gear, you can also swap the input shaft from an LS1 T56 into your transmission if needed.

*hotrods*
09-10-2006, 10:54 AM
1. What car? A first gen, or something later?

2. What engine? Traditional SBC or BBC, or an LSx? The LSx has no boss on the engine on which to mount the Z bar.

3. What does Viperized mean? Main shaft and internal gears, or input shaft as well? Depending on how long the input shaft in your T56 is, you may be fine. Measure your input shaft from where the transmission mates with the bellhousing. If it's (roughly) 7.0" long, it's a Viper input, 6.5" long, it's from an LS1 T56, and 5.5" long makes it from an LT1 T56. If it's an LT1 style T56, a mechanical linkage is going to be virtually impossible unless you swap input shafts (but talk to Mcleod to confirm this. The key is the ability to run a "push" style clutch). If it's 6.5" - 7" inches long, and you're using a traditional SBC/BBC, McLeod makes the adpaters (LS1 T56) or bellhousings (Viper T56) you need to run the OEM clutch set up in your car. The LS1 input shaft results in the cheapest swap unless you want to run a scattershield, in which case there's little difference in cost between adapting the the LS1 or the Viper T56's to your engine. Assuming you've got a 2.66:1 first gear, you can also swap the input shaft from an LS1 T56 into your transmission if needed.

Its a 69 Camaro SBC. The actual tranny is out of a 1994 LT1 and I have beefed the internals IT HAS UPGRADED BILLET SYNCRO KEYS IN THE 3-4 AND THE 5-6 SYNCRO ASSEMBLEYS, UP GRADED STEEL 3-4 SHIFT FORK. UP GRADED FORK PADS, ALL NEW UP- GRADED CARBON KEVLAR SYNCRONIZER RINGS, NEW 1-2 SYNCRONIZER ASSEMBLEY,NEW 3-4 SYNCRONIZER ASSEMBLEY,NEW 5-6 SYNCRONIZER ASSEMBLEY. NEW 5TH GEARS. The input shaft is a stock LT1 input shaft. So if I understand you correctly that I need a input shaft from a LS1. Once I have this then I can purchase an adapter bellhousing. Then I can run a mechanical clutch setup.

68protouring454
09-10-2006, 11:23 AM
there is no adapter bellhousings for an lt1 t-56, you need to run the stock alum housing which will bolt right up toyour sbc, and just use the clutch set up for the lt-1 with the special flywheel and lt-1 hydraulics.
the lt-1 clutch is 450.00, flywheel is 250, and hydraulics is 200 or so
other then that sell it and get a ls-1 tranny then call mcloed and get there blowproof bellhousing

camcojb
09-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Weir makes a bolt-in kit with a bellhousing that allows a regular clutch to be used instead of the LT1 pull-off style, but it still uses a hydraulic throwout bearing.

Jody

Mkelcy
09-10-2006, 02:40 PM
The input shaft is a stock LT1 input shaft. So if I understand you correctly that I need a input shaft from a LS1. Once I have this then I can purchase an adapter bellhousing. Then I can run a mechanical clutch setup.

If your LT1 T56 has a 2.66:1 first gear, you should be able to swap the input shaft for an LS1 input shaft (check with your transmission shop), and then run the standard SBC bellhousing/scattershield of your choice with the adapter plate kit from McLeod. You don't HAVE to buy an adapter bellhousing although you could buy the McLeod modular bellhousing if you preferred.

Before doing anything though, I'd call the McLeod tech line and ask them about what you want to do. I know at one time they marketed the adapter plate with an extended pilot bushing for the LT1 T56; I don't know if they still do.

*hotrods*
09-10-2006, 03:15 PM
I spoke to my tranny guy and he said that he could install a LS1 input shaft for about $50 and that all I would need is an adapter plate. Then I could use my balanced flywheel as well as my manual clutch setup. I would need to buy an 11" 26 spline clutch with a standard 11" pressure plate and use my lakewood scattershield with the adapter plate. That seems to be pretty reasonable. I will order a crossmember from ATS and shorten my driveshaft. Does anyone know what I can do about my speedo cable? Thats the only thing left is my uderstanding. Has anyone does this and am I missing any steps??

Mkelcy
09-10-2006, 04:15 PM
I spoke to my tranny guy and he said that he could install a LS1 input shaft for about $50 and that all I would need is an adapter plate. Then I could use my balanced flywheel as well as my manual clutch setup. I would need to buy an 11" 26 spline clutch with a standard 11" pressure plate and use my lakewood scattershield with the adapter plate. That seems to be pretty reasonable. I will order a crossmember from ATS and shorten my driveshaft. Does anyone know what I can do about my speedo cable? Thats the only thing left is my uderstanding. Has anyone does this and am I missing any steps??

Sounds like you pretty much have it, except for the speedometer. The electronic-to-mechanical speedometer adapters are pretty pricey (think $300 to $350 or so).