PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my MIG weld

jarhead
04-13-2020, 03:08 PM
I was hoping for some input on my welding.
Frame rails for my Torino, need to weld 3/16 plate to the 1/16 frame rails.

I am practicing on some old scrap rails.

Thanks!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200413/ee28ee57961df639ee4d19f4680aa2bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jarhead
04-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Another
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200413/819926fdb2d47af81431eb1da0937475.jpg

raustinss
04-13-2020, 04:59 PM
As you finish welding , let go of the trigger wait a nano second and give a really quick tack ... this will fill your creater (aka filling that tiny hole)and prevent creater crack . Otherwise not bad welds. Now I'm sure some YouTube keyboard warriors you've only ever seen welding videos that have been done in tig will try to come and chop you down . Dont let them ... practice makes perfect and you are well on your way

jarhead
04-13-2020, 05:56 PM
Thanks!

ur-n-8
04-13-2020, 08:25 PM
Looks good, you might try turning down the power once and check the results. Otherwise carry on.

jarhead
04-13-2020, 08:50 PM
Thank you!

WSSix
04-13-2020, 09:23 PM
Definitely not bad. Cut it apart to make sure you're getting complete penetration. It looks like you're doing a good job at concentrating the heat into the thicker metal which is good, too. Only thing I would say needs work is your speed. You're speeding up as you go which is why you have more weld on the right end. You're also pulling, maybe try pushing to see how you like that. Overall, good job, Joe.

jarhead
04-14-2020, 08:47 AM
Thanks!

Oleyellar
04-14-2020, 02:10 PM
Watch some of Jody's videos on Welding tips and tricks.com
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/Mig-welding-tips.html
He has some great how to videos and some rear good info for folks not that familiar with welding...

ScotI
04-16-2020, 04:32 PM
Definitely not bad. Cut it apart to make sure you're getting complete penetration. It looks like you're doing a good job at concentrating the heat into the thicker metal which is good, too. Only thing I would say needs work is your speed. You're speeding up as you go which is why you have more weld on the right end. You're also pulling, maybe try pushing to see how you like that. Overall, good job, Joe.

^^This^^

I took classes @ my local community college for Welding, Paint, & Body-work. Part of the Welding class required your weld to pass a destructive test process to pass the class.

As you get started on whatever project, take some scrap material from what you're working on & do some weld 'coupons' for destructive testing (2pcs Butt welded together; Overlapped weld; 'T' 90° weld; whatever method you'll likely be doing). Once you get them done, see if you can smash them apart. If so, adjust your machine or your technique accordingly.

When you're only welding as a hobbyist, you need to go through the motions to dust off the skill set. Once you know your test coupons pass muster, you can feel more comfort in moving forward. Your last pass of each project is usually your best weld LoL….