PDA

View Full Version : SEMA Registration road block

awr68
09-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Ok, I just went threw the online registration process and everything looked the same as the other two years I went to SEMA ('03, '04), although since I missed last year I don't have the code to speed things up. When all was done, including the payment process, it says I have to FAX in two proofs of business with my personal name on at least one...this is a bit of a problem since I am not yet a registered business in my state. In years past it was very simple to register.

BTW, my wife enjoys going to the show as well, but getting the spouce pass is usually the easy part.
What do I do??

camcojb
09-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Ok, I just went threw the online registration process and everything looked the same as the other two years I went to SEMA ('03, '04), although since I missed last year I don't have the code to speed things up. When all was done, including the payment process, it says I have to FAX in two proofs of business with my personal name on at least one...this is a bit of a problem since I am not yet a registered business in my state. In years past it was very simple to register.

BTW, my wife enjoys going to the show as well, but getting the spouce pass is usually the easy part.
What do I do??

Anthony,

They started cracking down last year and this year is tougher still. I had to provide just what you stated, but since it's my first year going as my own business I cannot get anyone else in (they do allow your spouse).

Any way to get your business license now and have some business cards made up? That would do it, or you'll need to find someone going who could have another employee.

Jody

jannes_z-28
09-05-2006, 05:01 AM
I had not that problem, 'guess they are a little more gentle towards oversea attendees.

You better fix that soon Tony so we can meet in 'Vegas. :unibrow:

BTW I registered as "racer"

Jan

awr68
09-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I had not that problem, 'guess they are a little more gentle towards oversea attendees.

You better fix that soon Tony so we can meet in 'Vegas. :unibrow:

BTW I registered as "racer"

Jan

Trust me I'm working on it!! :yes: I have a condo and air fair already paid for, and I'm not going to Vegas without getting into the SEMA show, wish me luck!!

Hdesign
09-05-2006, 11:30 AM
I encountered the same problem Anthony. There is no provision for "custom car designer" as a license in MA or at SEMA. This is my first year going as well so it was extrmemly difficult for me. I talked to a woman that runs the registration named Kita Lewis. (I'll PM her number tonight) I asked her if a business check from one of my clients would provide enough validation of my "automotive business". She was satisfied with that and confirmed my registration. Though, I've only received an email notification, nothing via snail mail. I had to register as a "fabricator/builder". Whatever, I'm in anyway.

coolclassiccars
09-05-2006, 03:56 PM
had a hard time as well,e-mailed on line then 2 weeks later got a call to call a woman, called back and had to answer several questions,then wait for there e-mail conformation, for myself and my wife.had to register as automotive service :unibrow:

awr68
09-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Well, I registered my business's name with the State of Oregon last week so that should take care of one of the documents SEMA wants...as long as I get it in time that is!! I do have a backup plan though, just trying to continue to use the company name that I already registered this year and have used for the previous trips to SEMA.

I'll keep you guys updated!!

bigtyme1
09-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Me Too, I've gone every year thru NACE with no problem. this year they will not allow NACE people to attend. Don't you think this is going to impact the show turn out? Why would they put such harsh rules on a car show where there trying to sell new products thay we buy every day. What would happen if we all quit buying, FOOSE,Detroit Speed,Auto Meter, ECT. I think this was a big mistake and the turn out will show the out come.

fatlife
09-12-2006, 09:31 PM
well theoretically you could just scan someone elses pass, photoshop your name onto it, PM someone like Yody and see if he'll send you his old card holders, and you will be good to go hypothetically. Don't ask how I know this works :_paranoid

camcojb
09-12-2006, 10:44 PM
well theoretically you could just scan someone elses pass, photoshop your name onto it, PM someone like Yody and see if he'll send you his old card holders, and you will be good to go hypothetically. Don't ask how I know this works :_paranoid

You were stuck outside for a bit last year, weren't you??!!!! I'd imagine you'd know what works.:thumbsup:

Jody

slownova
09-13-2006, 12:08 AM
i also ran into the same issue. i had to produce a pay stub and a card with my name on it. be interesting the outcome of people this year.

fatlife
09-13-2006, 12:46 AM
lets just say I had to make things happen :_paranoid ;) :thumbsup:

zbugger
09-13-2006, 07:30 PM
lets just say I had to make things happen :_paranoid ;) :thumbsup:
I know nothing of what this drunken fool speaks of. I was looking at cool car parts. :yes:

awr68
09-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Well I went ahead and registered my business name with the State of Oregon and got the document in the mail the other day. Now I have to fax this to SEMA registration with a paystub and I 'should' be good to go.....keep the fingers crossed guys!!!

jannes_z-28
09-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Yes I will

Jan

awr68
10-04-2006, 11:56 PM
We were approved today!!! See ya at the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :unibrow:

fatlife
10-05-2006, 12:03 AM
:_paranoid

chucks73
10-05-2006, 09:10 AM
I am a SEMA Member and this was in the SEMA new that I got today.

SEMA eNews, Vol. 9, No. 40 - October 4, 2006

SEMA SHOW CLAMPS DOWN ON CONSUMER ATTENDEES

Connecting businesses and buyers is the fundamental goal of the SEMA Show, and under the direction of the SEMA Board of Directors and the Show Committee, efforts have intensified to ensure the event maintains its trade-only status.

Attendees at the 2006 SEMA Show, for example, will be required to establish their trade status by providing proof of employment at an automotive-related business during the on-site registration process. Individuals will not be admitted simply for showing up with a company’s representative.

In addition, SEMA has increased attention to applications from states near or neighboring Nevada, locales within an easy drive of Las Vegas. Show Management also continues to monitor enthusiast websites for “chatter” about the Show.

For 2006, the badge and badgeholders have been updated. Last year’s badgeholder, for example, will not gain entrance to this year’s Show. Return attendees have been issued Legacy numbers to ensure their continued value to exhibitors. Finally, exhibitors or attendees can call a Show Hotline number printed on the badge to report consumers they believe may be in the Show under false pretenses.

“It’s natural that enthusiast consumers would want to visit the year’s finest collection of automotive speed and style,” says Peter MacGillivray, SEMA VP of Communications and Marketing. “But we also recognize that our primary obligation is to our members, to maximize the time, money and effort they spend at the greatest automotive show in the world.”

fatlife
10-05-2006, 11:01 AM
what a bunch of richards :rolleyes:

XcYZ
10-05-2006, 11:37 AM
...Show Management also continues to monitor enthusiast websites for “chatter” about the Show...

This site is one of them, I've recieved e-mail from people at SEMA, but not in regards of this info given in the latest SEMA News letter.