PDA

View Full Version : Difference between c5 and c6 corvette suspension

abadsvt
08-16-2019, 01:38 PM
Hi Guys, Was hoping for some insight. I was designing a suspension for my c2 vette to use c5 corvette a arms and spindles (front and rear suspension). I got all the pickup points for a c5 already. Well recently I got an opportunity to get my hands on some very clean C6 corvette a arms and spindles for a good price. Just looking at them compared to c5 they look very close to the same. The steering arm on spindle looks a little shorter but that is about it. Does anyone know if they are the same design? Will the c5 pickup points work with C6 parts? I read somewhere or someone told me that the c6 had a better ackerman angle than c5. Not sure if i am making that up in my head or was it real info. Any insight on this as well? Thanks ahead of time.

Josh

CamaroAJ
08-16-2019, 04:38 PM
All of the parts will swap. The frame its self was the same from 1997-2013 except the C6 Z06 which was aluminum and had a different mount design for the rear upper control arms. The pick up points are the same they just redesigned the control arms for strength.

The front cradle is will swap between the two and only had minor changes. The rear has a different cradle to accept the auto 6 speed and how they mount with two pads vs. one on the C6. If you swap C6 rear lower control arms onto the C5 it will move the wheels back about 3/4" and center the wheel better in the opening. This was in part to offset the longer 6 speed auto vs. the 4 speed.

The C6 spindles are the same mounting point wise, but are a different aluminum and have thicker brake mounting bosses and overall they were stiffer than the C5. Direct swap between the two models.

abadsvt
08-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Thank you for the help!!! Just curious do you if the geometry of a c6 z06 is different than the base model? I have heard the c6 z06 was a fantastic handling car. Thanks again!!

Josh

CamaroAJ
08-18-2019, 08:00 AM
Same geometry, but wider front and rear tires with a different offset push the wheels out some and make for a wider footprint.

XLexusTech
08-18-2019, 10:11 AM
So the cradle is interchangeable... that interesting.. is that the preferred way to go with an LS swap I wonder ?

The C5's are pretty darn in expensive..

CamaroAJ
08-18-2019, 07:12 PM
So the cradle is interchangeable... that interesting.. is that the preferred way to go with an LS swap I wonder ?

I’m not sure what you mean as the C5 and C6 already have an LS?

XLexusTech
08-18-2019, 07:45 PM
I’m not sure what you mean as the C5 and C6 already have an LS?

Ok guess c4 is what I was thinking then :innocent:

nickcornilsen
08-19-2019, 09:47 AM
There is some misinformation above... some parts will bolt in place of others, but they do not swap directly.

The upper rear control arms are DIFFERENT GEOMETRICALLY between a c5 and c6... the ball joint hole is further back on one of them. (The C6 I believe.)

The rear cradles are DIFFERENT due to the transmission mount and springs.

Z06 Upper rear control arms are a special breed as well.

The C6/C5 rear LCAs as the same geometrically, however NOT interchangeable due to spring mount differences. (unless you use coilovers... then they are a direct swap.)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2704188-c5-control-arms-vs-c6-control-arms-lower-rears.html

On the fronts, I believe the steering rack mounts a bit differently relative to the lower control arms resulting in different bump steer characteristics... but I cannot personally confirm that.

spazegun2213
08-19-2019, 12:09 PM

Oh trust me, parting out a wrecked C5/6 would be a great way to swap everything into an older car. The problem presents itself with mounting the subframes (if you want a true "bold on" affair). You'll need a LOT of fab in order for everything to bolt up. But its a tried and true way to go fast!

My initial measurements from come corvette racers are saying that non-aggressive c5/6 wheel fitments should fit under an F-body but I've yet to actually check/confirm.

I spent a LOT of time working with C5's and I'd honestly love to take my 2nd gen and use c6 suspension on it. With all of that, and if you look at nickcornilsen's posts, you'll need to lengthen the torque tubes for most classics. But the ability to buy cheap/strong parts that are based off a pretty damn good geometry is intriguing.

CamaroAJ
08-19-2019, 02:02 PM
The upper rear control arms are DIFFERENT GEOMETRICALLY between a c5 and c6... the ball joint hole is further back on one of them. (The C6 I believe.)

The C6/C5 rear LCAs as the same geometrically, however NOT interchangeable due to spring mount differences. (unless you use coilovers... then they are a direct swap.)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2704188-c5-control-arms-vs-c6-control-arms-lower-rears.html

The lower have to be different geometry or the wheel wouldn't move depending on running a C5 or a C6 control arm.

post 19
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3583193-what-is-needed-to-swap-a-c6-cradle-and-diff-into-a-c5.html

nickcornilsen
08-20-2019, 08:15 AM
The lower have to be different geometry or the wheel wouldn't move depending on running a C5 or a C6 control arm.

post 19
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3583193-what-is-needed-to-swap-a-c6-cradle-and-diff-into-a-c5.html

Ive compared c5 c6 uppers side by side... they are different t. The lowers are the same except the spring mount.. The cradle on a c6 is mounted further back to accompliah moving the wheel backward.

CamaroAJ
08-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Ive compared c5 c6 uppers side by side... they are different t. The lowers are the same except the spring mount.. The cradle on a c6 is mounted further back to accompliah moving the wheel backward.

That doesn't make much sense that the wheels don't move when swapping the C6 cradle into a C5 and not the control arms, but they do when swapping the cradle and control arms though?

nickcornilsen
08-20-2019, 11:51 AM
That doesn't make much sense that the wheels don't move when swapping the C6 cradle into a C5 and not the control arms, but they do when swapping the cradle and control arms though?

The C6 cradle is moved back in a C6 Chassis... so the location of the lower control arm mounts on the cradle, relative to the alignment pegs on the cradle, is the same for a C5 and C6, which means the LCA geometry does not have to change, and that a C6 cradle, if put in a C5, doesn't move the wheel.

The upper control arms have the ball joint hole moved backwards, given the C6 a longer wheelbase. Swap C6 UCAs into a C5 and the wheel WILL move backwards.

abadsvt
08-20-2019, 07:39 PM
The C6 cradle is moved back in a C6 Chassis... so the location of the lower control arm mounts on the cradle, relative to the alignment pegs on the cradle, is the same for a C5 and C6, which means the LCA geometry does not have to change, and that a C6 cradle, if put in a C5, doesn't move the wheel.

The upper control arms have the ball joint hole moved backwards, given the C6 a longer wheelbase. Swap C6 UCAs into a C5 and the wheel WILL move backwards.

Gotcha. This is starting to make sense. I have read that the lower control arm on the C6 will move the wheel back 5/8" but everyone said besides that its the same. I was curious because if the lower moves toward the back of the car it will reduce the amount of caster you have. But since you explained the upper a arm has the ball joint hole in a different location than the c5 it corrects the caster loss.

So if i end up going with the c6 suspension i just need to move the rear suspension points towards the front of the car the 5/8 and it would keep the wheel centered where i want it. That makes sense. So the geometry is all though. Thats good to know. Appreciate the help guys!!