PDA

View Full Version : Spal fans too loud!

Nonhog
06-22-2019, 04:20 PM
I have a V8 Volvo (not as cool as Hackster's)
I went with twin Spal straight blade fans. Sounds like a Jet taking off when they come on. I plan to get a controller which should help but at full force it'll still be too loud. Think switching to curved blade Spal will do the trick or should I consider a different brand or a OEM single?
help a lurker out :thumbsup:

im4u2nvss
06-23-2019, 06:52 AM
I used a factory 90s volvo two speed fan and relay setup. I have not had the second speed turn on yet but low is not very loud. It pulls a lot of air and cools quickly.

Z06vette
06-28-2019, 01:35 PM
If you are going to get a controller, look into a variable speed setup. Runs fans at lower speeds and ramps up only as needed. Any fans that moves some air are going to have some noise at full speed. Just my experience.

Nonhog
06-29-2019, 11:54 AM
If you are going to get a controller, look into a variable speed setup. Runs fans at lower speeds and ramps up only as needed. Any fans that moves some air are going to have some noise at full speed. Just my experience.

Maybe its unfair to compare but they are way louder than any of the daily driver (OEM) fans. We are running a very mild 2000 Ford 5.0. Can't hear the exhaust when the fan kicks on. :shakehead:

dhutton
06-29-2019, 03:42 PM
These PWM controllers help reduce fan noise considerably.

http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_temperature_controllers.htm

Don

pannetron
10-05-2019, 10:51 AM
The curved blade Spal fans are much quieter than their straight blade fans.

Nonhog
10-05-2019, 03:09 PM
These PWM controllers help reduce fan noise considerably.

http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_temperature_controllers.htm

Don

The curved blade Spal fans are much quieter than their straight blade fans.

I ordered (and have) that controller! I may just try the controller first.
Easy enough to swap fans if need be.
Might be taking the car in to Chris Holstrom Concepts for a non related matter.
Maybe I'll see about them wiring in the controller. (I hate wiring!)

Thanks!