PDA

View Full Version : Media Blasting

carkrazy1987
08-29-2006, 08:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone around here new of any good places in south florida to get my car media blasted, preferably around west palm beach, but if i have to travel somewhere in florida i will do so, i just wana find somewhere, that knows what their doing and not mess up the body.

ProdigyCustoms
08-29-2006, 08:44 PM
We can soda blast it. We are in Orlando

carkrazy1987
08-30-2006, 10:45 AM
i was looking for almost a total media blast on it so it would remove all the rust and show me a bare body, so it woulod be easy to fix the body, or what not, and could u possibly gimme an estimate on what something like this would cost

ProdigyCustoms
08-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Soda is the best, but it won't touch rust. You can expect $800+, $1000 is usually the high side if the paint is not to stuborn.

carkrazy1987
08-31-2006, 04:29 PM
do u guys do any other media cause i was hoping to maybe walnut blas it and have all the rust removed also.

ProdigyCustoms
08-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Walnuts do not touch rust either, we can spot sand blast rusty areas for you

carkrazy1987
08-31-2006, 05:55 PM
Just a quick question, u know anything about chemical dipping a car?

Rick D
08-31-2006, 08:45 PM
I can tell you on the dip if you are going to have it done DON'T. We have a 69 Chevelle L78 car in the shop that we had dipped and there are a lot on places that you will never get primer on let alone paint. I know that pepole say that the GM never got paint there ether, but GM never thought that these cars would still be being redone 37 years later. If they thought that they would still be making parts for them. (Well I hope that they would of)
The biggest draw back to dipping is you have to coat it right away after it is dipped (corrosion starts right away). Now if you have some where that can dip it and than you do all your fab work than dip again than have it E-Coat dipped just like El Mule than that would be the best of the best. :yes: That what I had plained to do with my Camaro but no one around here does parts like the tub of a car. :mad: Also don't let them blast the fire wall unless to take everything out of the dash first WHAT A MESS THAT WAS :faint: .

Mike Hall
08-31-2006, 09:48 PM
I just invested $16K into a Rig to do Soda blasting. My setup is portable so I come to you and do the blasting on the spot. I just got all my equipment in two days ago so Im still getting it all setup on the trailer how I want it. I had not even got my stuff in yet and I already have two local jobs to do next week. I have not figured on what my hour rate will be yet but Most charge around $200 per hour + media cost. That ends up from $800 to $1200 for most cars. I forgot to add that Im just north of Tallahassee, FL by 50 miles.

Mike

XTRMEASURES
09-01-2006, 02:01 PM
I just invested $16K into a Rig to do Soda blasting. My setup is portable so I come to you and do the blasting on the spot. I just got all my equipment in two days ago so Im still getting it all setup on the trailer how I want it. I had not even got my stuff in yet and I already have two local jobs to do next week. I have not figured on what my hour rate will be yet but Most charge around $200 per hour + media cost. That ends up from $800 to $1200 for most cars. I forgot to add that Im just north of Tallahassee, FL by 50 miles.

Mike
you make house calls to LOUISIANA, if so i might have to keep you in mind....

Mike Hall
09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
I will make house calls but unless the job is big enough im not sure I could make the trip all the way to LA. Fuel cost these days would kill me on a trip like that. LOL

Mike

Fluid Power
09-01-2006, 03:20 PM

Mike

My neighbors would love this! Just blasting away in the driveway!

Darren

Mike Hall
09-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Maybe you should move it to the back yard. LOL

Mike

Mike Hall
09-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Boy this thing is awesome. After getting it set it strips pain and even somewhat thick bondo with ease. I was thinking bondo was hard to remove with this machine but man it just blows it away. The top nova fender thats mounted on the car is all bondo. It would just eat away at it like it was almost nothing. To bad that fender has major rust out on the top because the rest of the fender it perfect. Anyhow here are a few before and after pictures. Look how it makes that old dirt muncie look like new again.

Mike

carkrazy1987
09-02-2006, 07:13 PM
thats nice it does a good job, just wondering how much did that set up cost ya?
i do alot of work on my personal cars, and occationally on friends, and it looks like it would be a useful tool to have around

Mike Hall
09-02-2006, 08:45 PM
A setup like mine would cost you around $20K +. I got a new compressor with trailer damage for a huge discount which helped out big time.

Mike