PDA

View Full Version : II Much teaser photo

parsonsj
11-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Since pt.com is down, I'll post this teaser here. I've been working on all the final styling pieces of the car for awhile now. Here's a closeup of the grill:

zbugger
11-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Ummm....... There's no bowtie on that rendering that I got!!!!! That's not fair!!!! That's not accurate advertising!!!! I want a new one. Or more of a shot of the car would do too....... :rolleyes:

907rs
11-27-2004, 11:08 PM
More nice fab work John.....
But you really could show us more of the car you know. :D We won't tell anyone, honest. Besides, this is just a small forum with a few good people! :rolleyes:

hotwheels
11-28-2004, 12:51 AM
nice, very nice.............hotwheels of turborides

camcojb
11-28-2004, 12:56 AM
You are an amazing fabricator John! :D

Jody

XcYZ
11-28-2004, 10:36 AM
We need more. :D

Ricochet
11-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Fabricator extradonaire!! As always your work looks awesome John!! Quit teasing us though. Kick down..We want more pics!!

parsonsj
11-29-2004, 12:47 PM
I really appreciate the kind words guys.

If Car Craft would just publish my front suspension article, then I'd release a bunch more photos ... but until then ... only teasers.

jp

907rs
11-29-2004, 01:06 PM
I guess I'll just have to give Jeff Smith a call then! LOL!

BC69
11-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Looks great! Post up some more asap, good luck with magazines.

Tim

Ummgawa
11-29-2004, 02:34 PM
That is kind of an "Optical Delusion", if you know what I mean. I can't get my brain around where that is, front or back. I guess what i am saying is WE NEED MORE PICTURES! :D

parsonsj
11-29-2004, 05:07 PM
That's a close up shot of the front grill taken from eye level in front the driver's side headlight, looking down and across the front.

Does that help?

jp

61Bubbletop
11-29-2004, 08:01 PM
JP,

Great work, that sled is truly a labor of love,and a work of art....It is one (of very few) cars that I truly cannot wait to see finished......killer car, great guy...and MORE PICS! ;)

Ummgawa
11-29-2004, 08:42 PM
That's a close up shot of the front grill taken from eye level in front the driver's side headlight, looking down and across the front.

Does that help?

jp

No, I'm just trying to get more pix. Too Cool :D

907rs
11-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Dang Jim, Thats too bad.........
I was on to you, and was hoping that would work!

Novacane
11-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Real nice John! tease your friends! LOL!!

I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

How's the powerplant coming?

Howard

parsonsj
11-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks Howard.

I think the powerplant is going the way of the grill: It'll take 5 versions to get it right! Wegner is probably going to pass on the California shortblock. The final straw was .002 runout on the crank snout. :( That was engine version 3.

I think I'm done with sleeves. Version 4 of the engine will likely revolve around an LS2 block or even an "unannounced" block that will be available in January, according to GM Racing. Rumor has that being the aluminum LS7 block with a 4.0+ bore.

If only I could make an engine from aluminum and ss mesh!

jp

907rs
11-30-2004, 08:15 AM
Thanks Howard.

I think the powerplant is going the way of the grill: It'll take 5 versions to get it right! Wegner is probably going to pass on the California shortblock. The final straw was .002 runout on the crank snout. :( That was engine version 3.

jp

Sorry to here about your troubles JP, my condolences.
Hope you have better luck with number four! :)

Ummgawa
12-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Five versions of the powerplant and I am complaining about doing one twice. You are a patient man.

DCreations
12-08-2004, 05:37 PM
John do you plan to run some type of wheel wells in the engine compartment

parsonsj
12-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Oh yes. I'm working on them now.

They'll be made from .050 aluminum (5052). Why do you ask?

jp

DCreations
12-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Cool, I was just wondering. :D The alum wheel wells will be sweat. Hopefully after your car is all done you can give tips to guys like us ;)

Roger Poirier
08-17-2006, 08:41 PM
JP,

Great work, that sled is truly a labor of love,and a work of art....It is one (of very few) cars that I truly cannot wait to see finished......killer car, great guy...and MORE PICS! ;)

Yeah, what he said! :thumbsup:

parsonsj
08-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi guys,

This is one old thread. :_paranoid

I do have an engine now, and the inner fender wells are done, anodized, and installed (and then tweaked), and finished.

The car runs: I drove it from the trailer back to the garage after some chassis tuning to get my FAST XFI setup running.

I pulled the tranny (new TKO-600) back out (it leaked), and checked out the clutch and driveshaft. It's all going back together and I'm worrying about things like license plate lights, radiator overflow, and front end alignment.

Watch for a preview pic in October's PHR (an awesome photo by John Ulaszek).

I'll be driving this car very soon. Can't wait.

jp

Steve1968LS2
08-17-2006, 10:02 PM
a teaser pic of the engine will be in a two page spread in the October PHR.. and you can even see a bit of the car in the background :D

parsonsj
08-17-2006, 10:08 PM
And a nice chunk of text from Mr. Rupp. Sorry Steve.

jp

Damn True
08-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Ive never seen this thread before.

Regarding the grille: Damn you JP. I was thinking about using the exact same material. Oh well, I'll list you as an "influence".

parsonsj
08-18-2006, 07:58 AM
DT,

Like so many of the parts I've made for this car, it was my third attempt that turned out OK. I have ss mesh in 3 different sizes in my garage from those attempts.

In fact, if you want some samples of the different sizes, let me know and I'll send you some. I couldn't wrap my mind around what the different sizes meant until I had some in my hands.

jp

awr68
08-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Got the mag today...yep that's HOT!!!! :thumbsup: :hail:

Damn True
08-20-2006, 01:14 AM
DT,

Like so many of the parts I've made for this car, it was my third attempt that turned out OK. I have ss mesh in 3 different sizes in my garage from those attempts.

In fact, if you want some samples of the different sizes, let me know and I'll send you some. I couldn't wrap my mind around what the different sizes meant until I had some in my hands.

jp

Do you mean the relative size of the holes in the mesh? Yeah, I don't get that either. If you could shoot me some small samples that'd be great. I appreciate it.

evilzee28
08-20-2006, 09:05 AM
If airflow is required for cooling through the mesh, whilst looking great, you need to be careful as to how small you can go with the holes before cooling becomes very marginal. you'd be surprised at how little amount of air actually passes through fine mesh. We've had a number of modified cars come into us complaining of overheating problems & it's always the mesh that's causing the problem. As an experiment, take a small sample of mesh & blow compressed air though it & feel how much air passes through it, then blow the air towards your hand. The difference is immense, showing how much restriction mesh causes in airflow. If there's any doubt about possible marginal radiator cooling, give fine mesh a miss. hth. :)

Gr8t68
08-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Nice work John. I sure hope you post more pictures of your creations. Will you be producing any of the things on your project to sell to us less skilled folks in Lateral G land?

parsonsj
08-20-2006, 07:45 PM
you need to be careful as to how small you can go with the holes before cooling becomes very marginalI'm sure that's true, but there's no way the mesh I'm using will have any noticeable effect. Perhaps 1/16" or something will affect airflow. I got mine out of a circle track catalog.

DT, stand by. I'll get you a photo in a day or two ... my mesh is currently stored in the attic. Florida houses are a bit different that way. If you want some samples, pm me your mailing address.

jp

parsonsj
08-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Anthony, thanks. I haven't seen the spread yet. Any day now here in the south, I guess.

gr8t68, I've made some stuff for others along the way, and I'm planning on a bigger and better mill soon. So ... maybe. I gotta finish this car first, then we'll see.

jp

evilzee28
08-21-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm sure that's true, but there's no way the mesh I'm using will have any noticeable effect. Perhaps 1/16" or something will affect airflow. I got mine out of a circle track catalog.

I certainly hope you're right as, but we've had people bring in blown engines due to overheating that have used 1/4 mesh. If you blow air from an airline (which would be far less than the air pressure at speed) through anything 1/4" or smaller (which yours looks to be), you really will be surprised at how little air goes through it. I really didn't believe it myself until it was demonstrated. Sure would hate to hear that you've got overheating problems with it. Just trying to help. :thumbsup:

XcYZ
08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Great! I'll be looking forward to the October PHR. :thumbsup:

parsonsj
08-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Hey Scott, thanks! Any day now ...

Evil,
I think you're referring to "expanded metal" rather than mesh. If so, we agree: those openings absolutely restrict airflow. Mesh, especially in the 3/16" - 1/4" range, probably has little effect. At least that's how I see it. :)

On the chassis dyno, the car stays right on 180 (the programmed temp of my DC Controls fan controller). No overheating worries there. I'd bet my fans hardly run during normal driving, as I've got one of Ron Davis' huge-gantic radiators.

jp

Damn True
08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
JP,
you have a PM