PDA

View Full Version : Lsx swap?

McssGmachine
08-21-2006, 07:21 PM
What do I need to control this thing? I already have a old school small block with an old F.A.S.T system. Can I use that computer? What do I need for the ignition? The motor is going to make upwards of 575hp. What kind of fuel system do I need to run?

Thanks

ahowudoin
08-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Lots of info at ls1tech.com goto the conversion section

nitrorocket
08-28-2006, 09:36 AM
I would recommend the stock ls1 computer. Has way more options and is much better then a F.A.S.T. system. :)

olds87
08-28-2006, 04:11 PM
What kind of LSx engine you are think of?

McssGmachine
08-29-2006, 02:45 AM
I would recommend the stock ls1 computer. Has way more options and is much better then a F.A.S.T. system. :)

What options does the stock ECU provide over the F.A.S.T system?

McssGmachine
08-29-2006, 02:48 AM
What kind of LSx engine you are think of?

I want to go with a 402. I'm not sure who I'm going with to build it.

nitrorocket
08-29-2006, 09:17 AM
What options does the stock ECU provide over the F.A.S.T system?

Boy, where to start!

Features over what F.A.S.T. does:

-Full 4L80, 4L60 transmission control
-Simultanious Closed/open loop control
-Auto tuning ability
-Torque managment ability
-Speedometer reading input
-Boost and nitrous control without having to upgrade
-Has much more advanced engine malfunction readings like individual cylinder misfires, knock retard conrols to eliminate engine damage from bad fuel, etc.
- Multiple fan on off control and fan after run features.

I cannot think of the rest but there are a ton more controls then you have with a F.A.S.T system. Bigstuff 3 has a lot of nice features though.

camcojb
08-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Boy, where to start!

Features over what F.A.S.T. does:

-Full 4L80, 4L60 transmission control
-Simultanious Closed/open loop control
-Auto tuning ability
-Torque managment ability
-Speedometer reading input
-Boost and nitrous control without having to upgrade
-Has much more advanced engine malfunction readings like individual cylinder misfires, knock retard conrols to eliminate engine damage from bad fuel, etc.
- Multiple fan on off control and fan after run features.

I cannot think of the rest but there are a ton more controls then you have with a F.A.S.T system. Bigstuff 3 has a lot of nice features though.

That would depend on the stock ECU I guess. MY GTO computer didn't have many of those features; no nitrous or boost control, no trans control (had a separate computer for that), and no fan controls for off/on other than how fast it spins.... you could not change when it came on.

This was an LS2 and I know the LS1 does have fan controls. Never seen a factory ecu have a boost controller or nitrous setting though. The auto tuning comes from the individual tuning system you use to tune with (additional $500-$700 you need to spend so you can tune the stock computer).

One other consideration I had was full throttle closed loop operation with a boosted engine. The factory will not do that and FAST and Big Stuff 3 (as well as some others) will. Nice safety feature in my opinion as it can add fuel under WOT if needed to get to your target A/F (assuming your fuel mapping is within 25% of where it's supposed to be).

By the way, the FAST and BigStuff 3 have nitrous controllers; the BS3 also has an optional boost controller and trans controller.

Jody

nitrorocket
08-29-2006, 11:24 AM
From what I have heard the BS3 in very nice. Total cost to keep the stock ls1 PCM tuned is about $1000 with the best software and a wideband. Both major software supliers now offer the autotuning feature. THey do NOT offer boost contolling that controls boost, I should have clarified. For boost above 105 KPA, you can control full timing retard based on boost pressure as well as afr control jsut the same as the main VE table.

Benifits you will get from the aftermarkets are tune on the fly(This option is now available now for the ls1 pcm for an additional $800), and wide band control under WOT like camcojb mentioned.

Its all what you want. I went with the stock pcm for cost and I wasn't happy with the Gen 7 I had on my last motor. I also wanted to be able to run a electronic trans. If you want the ultimate, go BS3.

McssGmachine
08-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the replys! I don't really need boost or nitrous controls, I'm a NA guy.

Jody, Your 402 was built buy W2W right? Keep us updated when you get it running. :)

camcojb
08-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the replys! I don't really need boost or nitrous controls, I'm a NA guy.

Jody, Your 402 was built buy W2W right? Keep us updated when you get it running. :)

I am not bad mouthing the factory computers. I really enjoyed tuning them on the GTO, they do have more controls than the aftermarket stuff (most of them anyway). Just add in the cost of a wideband and tuning system as that will run you $1000 or so as Scott said.

They did not have speed density for the LS2's at the time I had the twin turbo GTO or I'd likely still own the car. They do now so it's a non-issue, but at the time my tune was pegged at a pretty low amount of boost which was frustrating.

I had the 402 in the GTO briefly and it runs awesome. But couldn't tune it above 10-12 psi safely with the maf, so I bailed out of that car. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun in the Malitude.

Jody

nitrorocket
08-29-2006, 03:27 PM
O.k. I am putting my foot down! Time to rename that car! :mad:

Something with more attitude! :)

camcojb
08-29-2006, 03:45 PM
O.k. I am putting my foot down! Time to rename that car! :mad:

Something with more attitude! :)

In fairness to Mark it retains all of his suspension and general engineering, but I (in my infinite wisdom) am changing the color, interior, engine, and wheels. :willy: Doubt anyone will recognize it as Malitude when I'm done.

Never was known for my brains! :D

Jody

Steve1968LS2
08-29-2006, 04:24 PM
In fairness to Mark it retains all of his suspension and general engineering, but I (in my infinite wisdom) am changing the color, interior, engine, and wheels. :willy: Doubt anyone will recognize it as Malitude when I'm done.

Never was known for my brains! :D

Jody

HA! You're as bad as I am! except I am keeping the color, wheels and changing everything else! lol

The factory ECU is great until you get into heavily boosted or super high-end engines.

You should check prices and pick the brains of John at Speartech for more info. I am putting in a 570hp LS2 and running the 58x LS2 computer. It's fairly easy and much cheaper than that BS3 or FAST XFI stuff.

nitrorocket
08-29-2006, 06:45 PM
HA! You're as bad as I am! except I am keeping the color, wheels and changing everything else! lol

The factory ECU is great until you get into heavily boosted or super high-end engines.

You should check prices and pick the brains of John at Speartech for more info. I am putting in a 570hp LS2 and running the 58x LS2 computer. It's fairly easy and much cheaper than that BS3 or FAST XFI stuff.

Dont forget I am at 18.5 psi and over 1000 hp with 93 OCTANE!, on the factory PCM with EFILIVE tuning software. Boy, that has great magazine article written all over it! :_paranoid

You can do alot if you put your mind to it.

camcojb
08-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Dont forget I am at 18.5 psi and over 1000 hp with 93 OCTANE!, on the factory PCM with EFILIVE tuning software. Boy, that has great magazine article written all over it! :_paranoid

You can do alot if you put your mind to it.

He'll need HP tuners if he's using the LS2 computer; don't think EFI-Live has that yet.

Now that they (FINALLY!) got the 2 bar speed density for the LS2's it opened up the performance envelope a bunch with the factory computer.

Jody

nitrorocket
08-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Ya, Efilive has really taken there time on the LS2 software. I am thinking they might release the 2 or 3 bar right away though. Hopefully, cause I have some cars waiting for a little tunin! :unibrow:

The only thing I do not like about the software is the lack of on the fly tuning, that is an additional arm and a leg! With the cost you would have with a roadrunner setup, you could almost have a BS3 I think? How much are those??

ironworks
08-30-2006, 09:25 AM
I am putting in a 570hp LS2 and running the 58x LS2 computer. It's fairly easy and much cheaper than that BS3 or FAST XFI stuff.

What is the spec for the factory computer you are running and what wiring harness are are you using to hook it all togther?

Steve68
08-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Jody change the color, leave the wheels or paint them, what wheels are you thinking?? you can PM me so not to let it out, I show you mine,