PDA

View Full Version : HELP, Emergency

carkrazy1987
08-18-2006, 08:15 PM
I need help, i need to get my car running again in less then 24 hrs or i loose the car. all i need is spark, im having a problem gettin that. Timing is on the mark, all components are new in the distributor besides the capacitor, Dist is an HEI. i probed the coil wire and i have 12volts to it with ignition on. but the minute i turn the key to start, the engine cranks over fine, but i dont get any spark, and i get 0 volts on the coil wire. any sugestions will help.

Thanks

ProdigyCustoms
08-18-2006, 10:30 PM
You are pulling your coil power off a momentary on source. You need a key on / cranking on power wire to the coil. You can find one on the soliniod post, or in the fuse box. Just use a test light to find a power source that is hot while cranking, run a wire to the coil, should solve your problem.

And whats this lose your car thing? I am only 3 hours away.

Matt@Lateral Dynamics
08-18-2006, 10:30 PM
If this is a true emergency, just wire the coil direct from the battery and see what happens.

Whether it works or not, disconnect the direct wire to the coil as soon as possible, or it will literally blow up.

JUSTANOVA
08-19-2006, 12:26 PM
You are pulling your coil power off a momentary on source. You need a key on / cranking on power wire to the coil. You can find one on the soliniod post, or in the fuse box. Just use a test light to find a power source that is hot while cranking, run a wire to the coil, should solve your problem.

And whats this lose your car thing? I am only 3 hours away.

what he said, use the "S" post on the starter solenoid, like they do with factory points, that wire(usually yellow) might still be in the factory harness, just run that together with your "hot" wire in the same connector into the distributor.

Good luck

carkrazy1987
08-19-2006, 02:28 PM
thanks for all the help, i finnaly was able to figure out what the problem was, i have a new wireing harness in the car that i had to rush to put in the past couple of days cause one of my neightbours complained about my car and i had 10 days to get it running or i go to court or get rid of the car, and mom says i gotta get rid of the car if i dont get it running. well i found the problem, the new harness has the ignion switch wired differently,and i ended up just conecting the coil straight to the bat to get it started, so the county is happy, im off the hook for now, until they complain about my car again for too much noise :D

aonghus
08-19-2006, 11:45 PM
I hate neighbors sometimes...

MaxHarvard
08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
thanks for all the help, i finnaly was able to figure out what the problem was, i have a new wireing harness in the car that i had to rush to put in the past couple of days cause one of my neightbours complained about my car and i had 10 days to get it running or i go to court or get rid of the car, and mom says i gotta get rid of the car if i dont get it running. well i found the problem, the new harness has the ignion switch wired differently,and i ended up just conecting the coil straight to the bat to get it started, so the county is happy, im off the hook for now, until they complain about my car again for too much noise :D

Same thing happened here... i dont get neighbors sometimes, you'd think they'd like open headers at 1:30 am.

carkrazy1987
08-21-2006, 05:51 PM
well now that i have my car running again, i have to make sure it runs everyday. so everyday when i comehome from work i start it up and let it run for about an hour open headers, and rev it up a couple time just to make sure ti still runs. They shoulda left me alone with a car that didnt run they coulda had some peace and quiet but they started it now :D