PDA

View Full Version : Basic questions

DBasher
06-19-2017, 08:12 PM
I've been after a truck that's been sitting for 7-8 years in a garage and finally have the chance to purchase it. It has a fresh, 8-9 years ago, rebuilt 400ci with less than a few thousand miles on it....like a lot of projects the motor was rebuilt and driven for a summer before getting parked and forgotten. His dad has fired it from time to time to keep it fresh but it's been "awhile" since its been fired and brought up to temp..

My thoughts, pull the plugs and squirt some oil down the holes, roll it over and make sure nothing is stuck (rings) before firing it off. Obviously fresh gas and a carb rebuild, what else?

I'm not looking to be able to drive it home but I also don't need to be rebuilding a motor right now if I can avoid it.

:cheers:

Che70velle
06-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Dump the oil. Unless it's been in a climate controlled room, condensation will have invaded the crankcase. I have a truck that I built in the late 90's, that I keep in the basement. I went 11 years without starting it, and it accumulated about a quart of water in the pan.
Not to mention that the oils shelf life is long gone anyway.

DBasher
06-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Thanks Scott. It has been in a heated garage but changing the oil is easy enough to do so I'll add that to the list.
:thumbsup: