PDA

View Full Version : Kick panel speakers

Dads502
08-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Anyone have pics showing front speakers mounted in the kick panels of a 69 Camaro? Also, let me know if you have pics of customized kick panels with speakers.

ProdigyCustoms
08-03-2006, 11:03 PM
problem is if you try to build a proper pod for the speaker, the e brake gets in the way. We have some door panels coming out with speaker pods, at proper sound angles, coming out very soon. I should have a sample and pre sell soon. We will also be making rear panels with speaker pods also, for mini tub, and stock. We will also have kick panels, but e brake will have to go. Possibly a handle set up would need to be installed

Mike Hall
08-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Im going to be doing Mids in the kicks of my 67 camaro. I will be moving the parking brake to the tunnel and sealing off the cowl and using the cowl as an enclosure for some high powered Midbass drivers. Im into ultra high end car audio so this will be right up my alley. If I can move my steeing colum up about 1" I may go with Image dynamic CD2 horns with a 10" midbass driver in the kicks. If moving the steering colum turns out to be to much trouble I will go with a 3 way front stage using a smaller mid like an 8" and have a 2" dome mid and tweeter also mounted in the kicks. All I can say is these body style camaros are made for high end car audio. Oh yeah im more of a SQ guy now so bass will be provided by a pair of 10" subs firing through the back deck.

Some of you may get a kick out of this and some may not. I built this car back in 2000 for SPL and it was some kind of loud yet had great Sound quality with the 9" mids in the kicks and Image dynamics horns under the dash. Those are 4 Stroker 15s with two BD1000 amps per sub. LOL

Mike

ProdigyCustoms
08-04-2006, 07:54 AM
The kicks are a great palce for a 8", or a pair of 6 1/2s or 2 5 1/4s

Payton King
08-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Frank I would like to see your stuff. I am still a few months out in turning my attention to the interior.

I have moved the e brake to the center but I have a down bar for the doors the pass by the kick on the bottom section. I thought about doing like Stielow did and make enclosures for the kick/cowl area. I think he used 7 inch metal salad bowls. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Mike, tell me about the 10's through the rear deck. Are you speaking of mounting them like you would a 6x9 and running them free air or are you going to build sealed box? I am not looking to load my car down with 300lbs of stereo stuff, but I would like a nice sound.

I thought about running 2 4inch JL Audio's in the center dash spot, 6.5 JL's down in the kicks and possibly 6x9's in the deck with either no subs or the 2 10's I have now in a sealed box of some sort in the trunk. If I could get away with running a single free air in the center that would cut down on weight, but I want "punchy" tight bass and I am not sure that would happen.

Give me recs boys.

Mike Hall
08-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Payton, mounting 10s IB was what I was thinking about as there would be very little weight added and the bass output would be very smooth and blend well with a strong front stage. If you want something to just be loud then you may want to build an enclosure. If you go IB you must sound deaded the trunk very well. You would need to make a thick solid rear deck and make sure its mounted solid to the car. You would then need to make sure the trunk it totaly sealed off from the front cabin area. Any leaks will drop sub performance. Again Im a little over board with my audio systems but thats just how I have always been. LOL

Mike

J2SpeedandCustom
08-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Like Frank said we moved the ebrake on top of the tunnel inbetween the seats.
http://www.lateral-g.net/members/j2speedandcustom/j2caminterior01.jpg

Mike Hall
08-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Jeff, Is that a Eclipse AVN unit in that car? I just intalled a AVN6600 in my truck.

Mike

J2SpeedandCustom
08-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Jeff, Is that a Eclipse AVN unit in that car? I just intalled a AVN6600 in my truck.

Mike

No it's a Panasonic CQ-VD6503. I like it the image quality is good, and the touch screen controls are sweet.

Mike Hall
08-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Thats cool. I picked the Eclipes unit due to the superior sound quality it has over most other units like this. Trust me I paid for it though.

Mike

rockdogz
08-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Wow, Jeff that's a wild interior.

Is there enough room to put a 6.5" on the other side of the footwell - under the dash and maybe built into the console?

Mike Hall
08-04-2006, 02:50 PM
You could mount 6.5s in the kicks and leave the E brake in place. You would just need to get some speakers that have good off axis responce so that they can be mounted flat on the kick and not angled towards the listeners. I have some high end MBquart 3 way component sets the that would work awsome in a camaro. I would be willing to design a set of custom kicks to work with one of these sets if anyone is interested. Both sets are 3 way which include a tweeter, mid and midbass drivers.

Mike

J2SpeedandCustom
08-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Wow, Jeff that's a wild interior.

Is there enough room to put a 6.5" on the other side of the footwell - under the dash and maybe built into the console?

Tom thanks we like it. :) On our setup you could but the speaker would have to be mounted above your leg and pointing down so I don't think it would do any good. If you made provisions when building the console you could fit one on each side. Maybe even a small 6" sub under the dash as well. :yes:

Dads502
08-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Mike Hall, I would be interested in your kick panel design for the Camaro. I have purchased some MB Quart 5 1/4 front coax speakers that I plan to mount in the kick panels. They should be in next week.

Thanks...............mike

Serpa69
08-07-2006, 07:36 AM
This is not finished yet but here is an idea that I did. If you want to stay with the stock kick panels. The mid range is air tight and free from moisture.

XTRMEASURES
08-07-2006, 10:20 PM
i did this in a newer camaro, but id like to try an older car.....

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/XTRMEASURES/camarosskicks.jpg

BThibodeaux
08-21-2006, 12:27 PM
I mounted some 6.5" Polk Audio component speakers flat in my kick panels on my first 69. I used 6X9 closed cell foam baffles from Crutchfield to seal off the cowl openings. I was able to keep the e-brake and get the image right via mounting the tweeter higher in the panel and adjusting the angle of the tweeter swivel mount. To get the stock panels ready, I smoothed out the front via cutting off the astro-ventalations stuff, reinforced the back with sheet metal and epoxy (fiberglass will not stick), cut the holes for the speakers, and had the panels recovered in black vinyl.

Of course this only works if you are running aftermarket A/C.

BT

rockdogz
08-21-2006, 01:19 PM
I've read about doing 'glass on plastic - you have to drill holes in it and glass both sides to attach them... I'm almost ready to work on the kicks. I have some of those baffles - do you think they will provide enough protection for the rear of the speaker? I'm debating whether to just make a whole fiberglass enclosure to seal them in. I'll be mounting the speakers behind the kick panel vents to test the sound and see if I really need to angle them or not.

Rybar
08-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Hard to see in the pic, but we custom mounted some speakers in my kick panels. But like Frank said the stock e-brake will get in the way.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d125/Rybar/?action=view&current=CopyofPicture034.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch8

XTRMEASURES
08-21-2006, 08:44 PM
how much are factory kicks
i might see about getting some to play around with it

BThibodeaux
08-23-2006, 08:17 AM
how much are factory kicks
i might see about getting some to play around with it

The non-A/C versions are only about $50 each from NPD.

BThibodeaux
08-23-2006, 08:23 AM
I've read about doing 'glass on plastic - you have to drill holes in it and glass both sides to attach them... I'm almost ready to work on the kicks. I have some of those baffles - do you think they will provide enough protection for the rear of the speaker? I'm debating whether to just make a whole fiberglass enclosure to seal them in. I'll be mounting the speakers behind the kick panel vents to test the sound and see if I really need to angle them or not.

I like the idea of drilling several holes and glassing both sides. I may try that on my current build. Thanks.

A fiberglass encloseure would probably be overkill, but that is your call. The baffles held up fine for me. For a little added insurance, you could always double them up via gluing 2 together. Use a strong sealer/glue like Shoe Goo to seal the edges to the car.