PDA

View Full Version : Which manual trans with BIG power?

67SSChevelle
07-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Just trying to get a feeler what tranmission you guys are using behind a motor that isn't quite stock. I'm using a turbo's LS1 making 650-700 at the rear wheels. It's not going to be a race car but who's to say it won't see a spirited drive now and then :D
Thinking the TKO-600 is my best bet

aonghus
07-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Depends, a T56 stock is only rated at 450 ft. lbs, unless you viperize the trans, which will cost around $3500 for the whole trans and reubild it probobly isnt worth it to you.

The TKO600 is pretty hard to beat right out of the box...

But, there is that sixth gear..... :willy:

hiwayman
07-25-2006, 07:20 PM
yea man i just got the tko600 im sure the clutch is just as important i realy like the look of the mcleod soft lock system from what i can see it takes some power out through slipage with that much power i think you got plenty

nitrorocket
07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Why not go auto? With that much power it will suck to try to go fast in. Auto is nice and easy. :D

tracy
07-26-2006, 03:09 PM
You can buy a viperized t56 from D&D performance for under $3000. I know since I did.

novanutcase
07-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Tracy? Where is D & D located?

67SSChevelle
07-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Wixom, MI

http://www.ddperformance.com/

Bandit
08-04-2006, 05:12 AM
TKO 600 all day. Most people I know who have cars with 6-spds (late-model WS6 TA etc.) say they don't use 6th anyway.
You definitely want a manual, for the simple reason that a computer, vacuum or mechanical shifter setup on an auto, no matter how sophisticated, can't read your mind. If you want to control what gear you're in, you can't beat doing the job yourself.

Paul

"Real race cars have 3 pedals"

zcrz
08-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Seems okay to me so far, nice tranny.

sbbuick
08-25-2006, 09:06 PM
How about a Richmond 5 or 6 speed? :yes:

rocketman
08-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I would skip the TKO 600,they are hard to shift,and I don't think they are tuff as everybody thinks.I have one in my 69 vette,that is crap I sent the first one back because you had to almost beat it in to gear.the 2nd one is a little better but still hard to shift.There syncorizer's suck.I am switching to a T56.soon as its built.

I have a D&D built T56 in my 94 z28 with a 600 hp lt1 and have had no trouble.And runs 9's on the bottle.

I recommend a T56 or you might checkout a Liberty 5spd,they are a clutchless style tranny.

fatlife
08-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Richmond 5/6 speeds will not live behind a motor like that. I havne't used a TKO600 before but I hear they are nice. I know for sure T56's are really tough. I have a D+D viper which cost $2700, but you don't even need that. You can find T56's used or fresh for under $2000, I see used ones for $1200, all you need is better synchros, and a steel shift forks, only like $300 worth of parts.

fatlife
08-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Not sure about that, I've seen plenty of 1000hp vipers and F bodies on near stock trannies running 9's. But beside that, I doubt in a protouring car that he is going to be hooking it up so hard he is going to break it. A 4-5000 dollar T56 isn't needed for 600rear wheel horse

Bandit
09-06-2006, 05:52 PM
From everything I have read and in talking to people, if the TKO 600 is hard to shift then it was probably installed misaligned, or some other serious problem. If installed correctly, these trannies shift like a dream.

My TKO-600 only has about 200 miles on it, and it practically shifts itself. The throws are short and positive, and it clicks into gear with no effort. In fact I would say that this is the sweetest-shifting tranny I have ever shifted!
And most guys say that they get even smoother after putting a few more miles on them. Can't wait to get mine completely broken in!

As for strength, I am told that these are some very tough trannys indeed. Tremec rates it at 600hp/lbs-ft, but a lot of guys are exceeding that with no problems. Some guys run 9 seconds in the quarter with 3500-lb cars using these trannies and the trannys just take it.

Paul

NEW
09-07-2006, 01:12 AM
www.rsgear.com

I bought a "viperized" T56 for my 02 Camaro here, it works very well, after the install we put in a new engine which dynoed 596 whp, and 730 + nm on the wheels. N/a

I paid 2500 USD for that tranny,+ freight, it was a brand new unit. It has upgraded forks, carbon syncro rings, and viper output shaft, Opposed to the original tranny i think the upgrade was worth the money.

(i think they now offer the "transilla", t56 that stands something like a 1000 hp, and with options on pro shift, and custom gear sets,) i want one.. :thumbsup:

NEW

tyoneal
09-19-2006, 09:03 PM
www.rsgear.com

I bought a "viperized" T56 for my 02 Camaro here, it works very well, after the install we put in a new engine which dynoed 596 whp, and 730 + nm on the wheels. N/a

I paid 2500 USD for that tranny,+ freight, it was a brand new unit. It has upgraded forks, carbon syncro rings, and viper output shaft, Opposed to the original tranny i think the upgrade was worth the money.

(i think they now offer the "transilla", t56 that stands something like a 1000 hp, and with options on pro shift, and custom gear sets,) i want one.. :thumbsup:

NEW

Search, "Tranzilla", T-56, on Google for information.

sikryd
11-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Buy a Turbo 400 and put in a manual valve body! That way you can have a trans that will live, and shift only when you want it to. Art carr makes some hard hitting manual valve bodies, just make sure you specify that you need engine braking in all gears, or you will let off the throttle and it will be like you are in neutral.
I would rather destroy a transmission than to have a panic stop and rely only on my brakes. I almost t-boned some dumb A$$ pulling an illegal U turn, if I did not have engine breaking in first gear I would have creamed him (dead for sure). I threw it in first at about 65 mph, rear tires locked up and I had to throw the car sideways. I hate stupid drivers!

ProStreet R/T
11-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Buy a Turbo 400 and put in a manual valve body! That way you can have a trans that will live, and shift only when you want it to. Art carr makes some hard hitting manual valve bodies, just make sure you specify that you need engine braking in all gears, or you will let off the throttle and it will be like you are in neutral.
I would rather destroy a transmission than to have a panic stop and rely only on my brakes. I almost t-boned some dumb A$$ pulling an illegal U turn, if I did not have engine breaking in first gear I would have creamed him (dead for sure). I threw it in first at about 65 mph, rear tires locked up and I had to throw the car sideways. I hate stupid drivers!

Yeah cause a T400 has such a great overdrive :rolleyes:

I've PERSONALLY put a couple thousand miles on a stock viper trans with the car making 800rwhp and it has never had a problem, including quite a few 200mph 5th and even a 6th gear pull.

Here is a viper running 8.75 on a bone stock tranny. http://www.heffnersperformance.com/videos/2006/JERRYS8SECPASSES.wmv

Don't know how long it will live at that power level, but it did.

sikryd
11-16-2006, 04:12 AM
Yeah cause a T400 has such a great overdrive :rolleyes:

I've PERSONALLY put a couple thousand miles on a stock viper trans with the car making 800rwhp and it has never had a problem, including quite a few 200mph 5th and even a 6th gear pull.

Here is a viper running 8.75 on a bone stock tranny. http://www.heffnersperformance.com/videos/2006/JERRYS8SECPASSES.wmv

Don't know how long it will live at that power level, but it did.

A Turbo 400 may not have an overdrive but it will out live any standard transmission when being raced. Let me see any standard trans that will not break when side steping the clutch at 4,000 rpm with slicks. Yeah, it may live through one, two, maybe 20 but one day.....BOOM! If you need an overdrive, there is always a gear vendors overdrive, then you have 6 gears with a Turbo 400. Come on, you all got butt loads of money in your cars right? Who cares about gas mileage! Not me....... And a auto will beat a standard everytime at the 1/4 mile, I don't care how fast you think you shift. :rolleyes: (here's one back at you.......) :rofl:

ProStreet R/T
11-16-2006, 04:34 AM
I think you're missing the point. He is not building a dedicated drag car which should be VERY apparent by the 6spd manual in it.

And sorry but ladder bars with a 3spd auto, and 4.11 gears would SUCK to drive around on a regular basis. All he asked for was how to get traction, not how to build the fastest 1/4 mile warrior possible. It's pretty clear this isn't a drag racing site, which leads me to believe he won't destroy the cars handling to gain a tenth. And eventually everything will break, so the whole it might last 20 or 50 runs is a moot point. After a few thousand miles of a T56 handling anywhere from 1050-1389rwhp on drag radials, well damn I think thats good enough for me. A couple well respected members here have been in the car and can vouch for it being insanely fast. If anyone was going to destroy one from gross abuse it would be me.

Oh and no an auto is NOT always the fastest at the track. Last time I checked the entire pro stock field was banging gears via a big liberty shifter, and there definitely isn't a converter in there.

I'm finished with this thread jack.

sikryd
11-16-2006, 01:19 PM
I think you're missing the point. He is not building a dedicated drag car which should be VERY apparent by the 6spd manual in it.

And sorry but ladder bars with a 3spd auto, and 4.11 gears would SUCK to drive around on a regular basis. All he asked for was how to get traction, not how to build the fastest 1/4 mile warrior possible. It's pretty clear this isn't a drag racing site, which leads me to believe he won't destroy the cars handling to gain a tenth. And eventually everything will break, so the whole it might last 20 or 50 runs is a moot point. After a few thousand miles of a T56 handling anywhere from 1050-1389rwhp on drag radials, well damn I think thats good enough for me. A couple well respected members here have been in the car and can vouch for it being insanely fast. If anyone was going to destroy one from gross abuse it would be me.

Oh and no an auto is NOT always the fastest at the track. Last time I checked the entire pro stock field was banging gears via a big liberty shifter, and there definitely isn't a converter in there.

I'm finished with this thread jack.

Liberty Bell is a pro shifted manual that does not use a clutch for anything past 1st gear, I know I used to have one. If you have to put your foot down on a clutch, all things being the same in 2 cars you will loose to an automatic everytime. And if you think that the difference between a manual and automatic is only a tenth, then I am in the wrong site. If I was talking about strictly 1/4 mile, I would have said to buy a power glide. Oh, one more thing, my name isn't jack...

Fotoboy
01-29-2007, 11:50 PM
0 problems with 6 k lauches on a stock m6 t56 and dr w 550 rwhp, also seen guys w less blow the trannys out, and seen guys w 900+ rwtq t56 holding fine.

jamesg602
02-02-2007, 11:42 PM
TKO 600 or T-56 whichever you get a better deal on. If you don't beat on it it should hold fine. But definetly keep it a manual
boo to the Turbo 400.

californiacuda
02-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Sorry, a question about slush boxes. How does the 4l80e compare to the turbo 400?

Steve Chryssos
02-25-2007, 11:48 AM
The TH400 is a slushbox and the 4L80E isn't. Electically activated shift solenoids and PWM line pressure solenoids. Once you've had the chance to drive a calibrated 4L80E, you will never want another pre-electronic automatic.

nitrorocket
02-25-2007, 03:06 PM
A T-56 is the strongest trans out of the list period. There is no comparison.

If you want the ultimate manual from a factory vehicle, go T56. The correct year,model is pretty much bullet proof.

californiacuda
02-25-2007, 09:03 PM
I believe the 4l80e has a much higher torque rating than the t56.

nitrorocket
02-26-2007, 07:21 AM
It's not on the list.:D

67camaro327
03-16-2007, 10:28 AM
A T-56 is the strongest trans out of the list period. There is no comparison.

If you want the ultimate manual from a factory vehicle, go T56. The correct year,model is pretty much bullet proof.

Built by who? Stock T56s are not that strong, i hear about near stock cars breaking them all the time.

nitrorocket
03-16-2007, 11:33 AM
First, it depends on the year and model of vehicle the T56 came out of. Any of the 98+ t56 trans will be stronger then all the overdrive transmissions listed, especially if you upgrade the output shaft.

Second, the only thing that breaks from to much power is the output shaft. The 3 rd gear and 5 gear will be a time bomb at the 1000 rwhp level.

What broke on the trans you know of?

67camaro327
03-16-2007, 11:42 AM
First, it depends on the year and model of vehicle the T56 came out of. Any of the 98+ t56 trans will be stronger then all the overdrive transmissions listed, especially if you upgrade the output shaft.

Second, the only thing that breaks from to much power is the output shaft. The 3 rd gear and 5 gear will be a time bomb at the 1000 rwhp level.

What broke on the trans you know of?

oh i woulda thought the tremec would hold more power than a stock t56. Im not exactly sure, a lot of people on my local f body board have had problems with theres, ill have to see what eactly breaks.

nitrorocket
03-16-2007, 11:54 AM
I am sure you will find the typical damged items with a search for a t56. 3-4 broken or bent shift fork, stamped keys bending, and plastic shift pads breaking and falling ff the fork.

An uograded shift fork is about $90, billet keys are about $70, and the bronze shift pads are about $90.

They solve all the problems from abusive shifting. As far as breaking anything will in a gear, that just doesn't happen excpet for what I mentioned in my last post.