PDA

View Full Version : What is everybody doing to check piston/valve clearance

Ghiaguy
08-17-2016, 08:48 PM
Was looking for my old stash of clay and finally found it all dried up and worthless...... Is there a newer, tricker way to check clearance????

If not where do I find a replacement quantity of clay, and what type of clay are you using?????

Enquiring minds want to know,,,,,, LMAO

Che70velle
08-17-2016, 09:43 PM
I use modeling clay. Lightly spray your piston top, and the bottom of the valve with wd-40 or use a very light oil. This prevents sticking and staining.
I've heard people use "play-do" as well, but I've never tried it.
I've seen people use solder, but it only shows you the dimension in a tiny spot, and I like to see my dimensions across the valve face.
As far as a newer, tricker way, there probably is, but clearance is clearance, Clarence!

Neil B
10-27-2016, 08:30 PM
I use a degree wheel and a dial indicator on the valve tip with a checking spring installed. I check in 5 degree increments from 10 degrees BTDC to 10 degrees ATDC.

qtrracer
11-19-2016, 03:04 PM
I use a degree wheel and a dial indicator on the valve tip with a checking spring installed. I check in 5 degree increments from 10 degrees BTDC to 10 degrees ATDC.

x2. I have a used head gasket for the procedure. I find this method lots easier and more accurate than the clay method.