PDA

View Full Version : Sound and Heat deadening

Payton King
03-02-2005, 09:29 AM
I know that this has been discussed other places, but I am at the point I need to make decisions on sound and heat insulation. Someone told me that www.lizardskin.com was a good product and so was fat mat. Any of you out there with real life expierence that can direct me.

On a different, but congruent note. Anyone know if I could spray "Line-X" or "Rhino Liner" under the car. I think the protection would be great, but I am a little concerned that the heat from the exhaust might melt it. My entire system will be coated so that should help with the heat some. It is also going to run very close to the pans as well.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Payton

Rick Dorion
03-02-2005, 09:41 AM
I know folks who have had bedliners sprayed underneath with good results although I don't know what the clearances were with their exhaust system. I painted mine and in some areas where my pipes run < 1/4" to the floor, I put some self-adhesive thermo-tec (from Summit, etc.) and it's held up well for 3 years now. It's supposed to reflect 9X% of heat away. Seems to work.

c.schulz
03-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Lizard skin is a good product but consider a product that can be serviced.
In other words,what if you need to make a change to the car and cut or weld something?? The sheets of sound deadener are much more easily removed then spray ons.
Fat Mat is a much cheaper product than dynomat.Look for it on ebay.Or get a hold of Steve1969LS1 over at PT. Good man and very helpful.
Chris

MarkM66
03-02-2005, 11:08 AM
I too would recommend a mat type. Fat Mat is pretty cheap, and is probably just as good as any other.

If you want heat insulation, I'd use a layer of that foil backed insulation material on top of the sound deadener. Most interior shops have it. It can also be bought at Home Depot. :thumbsup:

Payton King
03-02-2005, 11:49 AM
That is what I needed to know. If anyone has an opinion or real life expierence feel free to chime in. I did not think about needing to repair something with the spray in stuff.

Thanks

Jay Hilliard
03-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Payton,

I used Dynamat Xtreme. It was easy to use and apply with their roller. You can buy it on ebay for $100-110 for a case which covers 36 sq ft. Enough to do the firewall back to the rear seat area.

Jay

Payton King
03-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks Jay. How far from Charlotte are you?

zbugger
03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Try sending a message to Andrew B. over at PT.com regarding Cascade stuff. He's had good experiences with it. I on the other hand am still doing my own research.

spaztikatik
03-03-2005, 08:06 PM
I put a post up about 3 or 4 weeks ago about using B-Quiet, they're out of canada. Really awesome stuff, different kinds of sound deadening materal for different areas of your car, it all depends on how quiet you want it to be inside! :) Plus it's cheaper than X-Treme, so i'd say give it a shot? I love it.

Payton King
03-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Do you have a web address?

Jay Hilliard
03-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Payton,

Im about 2 hrs 15 min from Charlotte. I will be in Mooresville next week or weekend. Going with a friend of mine to pickup his car from Kyle.