PDA

View Full Version : Fuelabs pump issues

Mike69Cam
02-13-2016, 07:05 PM
I own a '66 Chevelle with an LS3 bottom end, LS9 top end...It makes about 750 HP with 650LB torque. I drive this car usually 50-75 miles on the weekend. I don't race it anymore. We recently installed an ATL fuel cell and new fuel lines (wider gauge) to accommodate the HP. The pump is out side of the tank and has returns lines. The Fuelab pump is rated at 1000 HP and above. Under normal driving, it makes a lot of noise, which I hear is normal. When I run low on fuel from time to time, it cavitates...I then have to add fuel and then wait for air to leave the pump. Occasionally when tank is like 3/4 full, it will suck in air and I am on the side of road for 20-30 mins waiting for air to leave pump.

Question-Are these fuel pumps made for long drives? Is there a better brand that runs quieter and more reliably on longer drives?

MtotheIKEo
02-13-2016, 10:16 PM
Sounds more like a fuel supply issue than a pump issue. I'd correct the issue of it sucking air as that will make any pump struggle.

Mike69Cam
02-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks...Agreed...it looks like we are going to move the pump inside the tank and make sure we have the right "gravity" set up. Keeping pump submerged and cooler seems to work best. Also runs a bit quieter while in the tank.

JohnUlaszek
09-21-2020, 07:36 PM
How is the cell vented? Its pretty common to have pump problems and supply issues when air is not entering the tank as you are using fuel. Often manifests as “vapor lock” and eventually a dead pump because it causes cavitation. Also, do you know how hot the fuel is getting?

572Camaro
09-24-2020, 10:11 AM
John is exactly right.
How is your tank vented?
When the pump air binds, pull your fuel cap and see if the fuel tank is in a vacuum condition.
What is the fuel pump inlet hose/tubing size?
I hope it’s a minimum of 1/2” diameter

Once we figure out root cause, please consider mounting pump in tank so long as it is submersible.
In-tank pumps are quieter, run cooler, and eliminate undercarriage clutter.

(I run Aeromotive pumps in tank and have no regrets. My car is “Jim and Geralyns Camaro now on lat-G car features)

pannetron
10-21-2020, 09:46 PM
I went through two in-tank Fuelab pumps before I gave up and revised my tank and fuel system to use a GM CTS-V pump module and VaporWorx controller.