PDA

View Full Version : Hood vents/heat extraction??

LateralJeaz
02-05-2016, 03:21 PM
From my enthusiasts (and limited engineering) perspective, They seem useful. Stielows recent cars and the c7 corvette seem to eco that sentiment, no? If one wanted a little extra under-hood air movement/heat extraction, where's the optimal place to mount these for a top blower mounted motor (or any other)?

Chad-1stGen
02-05-2016, 04:13 PM
What kind of car? I did some testing for this on a 68 Camaro in my build thread here: http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?p=613328 Scroll down to post 485.

The more extreme builds I've seen are venting 100% of the radiator air through the hood and bottom feeding the radiator inflow (check out the Vorshlag build or DuSold's Camaro).

LateralJeaz
02-06-2016, 03:32 PM
What kind of car? I did some testing for this on a 68 Camaro in my build thread here: http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?p=613328 Scroll down to post 485.

The more extreme builds I've seen are venting 100% of the radiator air through the hood and bottom feeding the radiator inflow (check out the Vorshlag build or DuSold's Camaro).

67 Camaro. Good info! Thanks!

Sparks67
02-06-2016, 08:41 PM
My 67 RS Camaro won't have any heat extraction through the hood and I have an LS9 418 that was built by Thomson Automotive. My 67 RS camaro has been in the same shop as Stielow's builds. Mule had a twin turbo and Mark had the hood modified for the vents, but he had a 3 carbon fiber hood made at the same time based on that design.

Jeff

LateralJeaz
02-06-2016, 11:20 PM
My 67 RS Camaro won't have any heat extraction through the hood and I have an LS9 418 that was built by Thomson Automotive. My 67 RS camaro has been in the same shop as Stielow's builds. Mule had a twin turbo and Mark had the hood modified for the vents, but he had a 3 carbon fiber hood made at the same time based on that design.

Jeff

What are your intentions with the car? I'm addressing these mostly as a viable cooling option, not for looks. if we pick the right low pressure spot, and throw some vents on, is there a possibility of somewhat significant reduction of under-hood temps? As you said, Mark is obviously as believer...Clearly Chevy as well.

And where....I mean If I stick them on the side of the cowl, like the ringbrothers razor Camaro, is that a viable spot I wonder?

Looks like a Sweet setup you have going there too, btw...If you meant the dutchboys have been working on your car, it's definitely been in good hands. Marks cars are so ridiculous in person, and seeing the dutchboys second gen recently reiterated how badass they are too.