PDA

View Full Version : 2005 8.1 Vortec

elwaupo
01-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Does anybody have information on this motor? I have a chance to get one for a steel but I was thinking of an LS1 or LS2 but this came along

SSLance
01-08-2016, 06:40 PM
The 8.1 in my 2002 truck has 210,000 miles on it and I love it. It's basically a tall deck, stroked, 454 with Vortec heads, a one off intake manifold, and coil on plug electronics. Mine is an earlier one and does not have a crank case vent set up, so it has always sucked a little oil into the intake...usually uses about a quart every 800 miles or so (worse with synthetic oil).

It's a truck engine in it's stock form, so it builds huge torque down low and not a lot of upper end HP. They are used in marine applications and generators a LOT. When they decided to quit making them, Kohler bought all of them they could. Mine gets 11 mpg...pretty much no matter how I drive it. It'll get just under 10 MPG pulling a trailer down the highway at 80 MPH.

Is it good for a car? I'm sure it would be fun but the only ones I've seen transplanted had the throttle body sticking out a hole in the hood as they are very tall. What do you know about the history of the engine? Hoe many miles on it? Do you want to sell it? :D

jhiphopjunky
01-09-2016, 05:53 PM
I have a complete 2004 8.1 with an Alison 1000. 77k miles, all ecu's, wiring harnesses and gas pedal are included. I even have the original gauge cluster. Call or text me for more info. (707)294-4223 -James

The 8.1 in my 2002 truck has 210,000 miles on it and I love it. It's basically a tall deck, stroked, 454 with Vortec heads, a one off intake manifold, and coil on plug electronics. Mine is an earlier one and does not have a crank case vent set up, so it has always sucked a little oil into the intake...usually uses about a quart every 800 miles or so (worse with synthetic oil).

It's a truck engine in it's stock form, so it builds huge torque down low and not a lot of upper end HP. They are used in marine applications and generators a LOT. When they decided to quit making them, Kohler bought all of them they could. Mine gets 11 mpg...pretty much no matter how I drive it. It'll get just under 10 MPG pulling a trailer down the highway at 80 MPH.

Is it good for a car? I'm sure it would be fun but the only ones I've seen transplanted had the throttle body sticking out a hole in the hood as they are very tall. What do you know about the history of the engine? Hoe many miles on it? Do you want to sell it? :D