PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro Convertible frame to body mounts

murtah
07-12-2006, 02:14 PM
I am looking for the plate or mount that the top frame attaches to. I haven't seen them out of a car before, so it is difficult to describe them. I am also looking for the special bolts and washers that attach this piece to the car and the frame to it. Are the bolts that mount the top cylinders to the car and frame special? I need those too.

Thanks for your time.

Rob07002
07-13-2006, 01:11 PM
I am looking for the plate or mount that the top frame attaches to. I haven't seen them out of a car before, so it is difficult to describe them. I am also looking for the special bolts and washers that attach this piece to the car and the frame to it. Are the bolts that mount the top cylinders to the car and frame special? I need those too.

Thanks for your time.

For the plate you might want to check out www.camaros.net and post in the wanted or general section there. Very Nice and knowledgable guys.

The bolts that mount the cylinders or rams to the car are special. They have about 3/8 - 1/2" of thread starting from the bolt head and end up round w/o any threads.

BThibodeaux
08-21-2006, 01:20 PM
The brackets you are looking for are the D brackets. Camaro Concepts in Houston still has some (713-365-9000) Talk to Dennis. I think I paid $40 for the pair. The special bolts that hold the cylinders in place are available from convertibleparts.com for $32 a pair. You need to pair for the car.

Do keep me posted on your build. Any pics out there?

murtah
08-22-2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the info. So I need 2 D brackets, Are the bolts that bolt them to the car and to the frame special? Are there 2 cylinder bolts per side of the car? 1 for attaching to the frame and 1 to attach the cylinder to the car body? I need that friggin YR1 book. I'll post some pictures in a few days when my gear arrives.

BThibodeaux
08-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the info. So I need 2 D brackets, Are the bolts that bolt them to the car and to the frame special? Are there 2 cylinder bolts per side of the car? 1 for attaching to the frame and 1 to attach the cylinder to the car body? I need that friggin YR1 book. I'll post some pictures in a few days when my gear arrives.

Hey fellow Texan. Actually the brackets are called "male hinges". I don't know where I got the term "D brackets" from. The bolts thread into each side of the male hinge and protrude into the middle. The part that protrudes (the tip of the bolt) has no threads, and serves as the mounting point for holes that are drilled into each side of the cylinder. The remaining hardware that is needed to secure the top to the car is pretty much standard stuff, or can be made by cutting down some standard bolts. For example, you will need a 3/8" bolt with about 1.5" of shoulder, and only about .5" of thread to mount cylinder piston end to the top frame. The trouble is, they don't make a a 3/8" bolt with these dimensions, so you buy a long bolt that has the needed shoulder area and cut it down to 2". That kind of stuff.

What I keep around for reference when I am putting a car together are the folllowing:
1969 Camarlo Assembly Manual
Fisher Body Service Manual
1969 GM Chassis Service Manual

These will provide much more detailed information than what you can expect from a single bood compiled by Yr1. You can get them all through Classic Industries, Year One, etc.

I will send you a PM regarding the Male Hinge.