PDA

View Full Version : Camaro intercooler mockup

camcojb
02-27-2005, 05:12 PM
We're pulling Dons ProCharged 69 apart so it gave me a chance to do a quick mockup of the Ron Davis intercooler. With the standard grille it definitely fits and leaves a lot of the radiator un-covered which will eliminate any heating issues with the motor. The hood latch will work fine, but the support panel will have to be trimmed, pretty minor job. The intercooler outlets will have holes cut in the radiator support so it will be placed closer to the radiator support than in the pics. The only area I see that needs any other mods is at the inlets; there will be some trimming of the bumper backets, but nothing that should be an issue. Now I need to get some measurements to make sure it clears an RS front end. The headlights are further out on the RS which gives even more room, but the doors swing in and I'm not sure how much and how far.

http://www.camcojb.com/twinturbo/intercooler%20006.jpg

http://www.camcojb.com/twinturbo/intercooler%20007.jpg

http://www.camcojb.com/twinturbo/intercooler%20009.jpg

Jody

BC69
02-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Wow, that fits just perfect in their. Seems like you're just gonna get around any real clearance problems that can't be overcome. Must of been some good planning right there!
Nice work.

Tim

jonny51
02-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Looks cool, but where are you going to put the flux capacitor? :unibrow:

camcojb
02-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Wow, that fits just perfect in their. Seems like you're just gonna get around any real clearance problems that can't be overcome. Must of been some good planning right there!
Nice work.

Tim

A LOT of measuring and some luck!

Jody

XcYZ
02-27-2005, 06:21 PM
It looks like the headlight doors will be close.

BC69
02-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Does the aftermarket door systems from like DSE save any space at all?

Tim

camcojb
02-27-2005, 06:40 PM
It looks like the headlight doors will be close.

It'll be close for sure. The RS headlights sit a few inches further apart than the standard ones like on Dons car which will help. Just not sure how far over they go when they open up.

The DSE headlight kit won't change where the doors open to, just how they open. None of the standard vacuum stuff is in the way, if anything it'll be the door itself.

Jody

Ummgawa
02-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Jody

I was thinking (dangerous I know), But, with the driving lights you manufacture and the fact that the DSE brite lights will shine through the RS headlight doors, Hmmmmm...How much night driving are you going to do? Believe me. I want them to work "just because" but...

Musclerodz
02-27-2005, 09:22 PM
That looks awesome in their. Are you going to leave it bright where it can be seen through the grill or anodize it black so it disappears?

Mike

camcojb
02-27-2005, 09:27 PM
That looks awesome in their. Are you going to leave it bright where it can be seen through the grill or anodize it black so it disappears?

Mike

Thanks Mike, haven't decided. Head over to chat!

Jody

907rs
02-27-2005, 10:55 PM
That looks really close Jody. I disassembled mine last week, and I dont think I could say that'd work on a 68. BUT, we'll see.

Good luck!

camcojb
02-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Daaaang! shnizzle on my nizzle. thatz 1 big radiater. Dat yo blue car homie?

Hey, glad to see you joined up today! Had a blast last night in chat, make sure you're back next week! Now, you know that's Don's car!

Jody

XcYZ
02-28-2005, 11:03 AM
You're busted. lol Lamar's IP address originates in Italy.

camcojb
02-28-2005, 11:05 AM
I actually figured it out by looking at the little computer icon to the right and comparing it to people who were there and not there last night in chat! However, you MAY have got me in trouble with Charley!

Jody

camcojb
02-28-2005, 03:28 PM
OK, the intercooler will work with a 69 Camaro and standard front end with the slight mods I mentioned. With an RS front end it will not allow the headlight doors to open. You'd have to drop the intercooler significantly to get it to clear the doors.

I'm going to be running a high output HID or similar headlight system and will just leave the doors closed on mine. I don't do a lot of night driving anyway.

Jody

jonny51
02-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Actually Allen is Lamars alter ego.
Damn I forgot chat again,is there makeup chat?

Ummgawa
02-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey Jody, You mean I was right? Yes!! :unibrow:

camcojb
02-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Yes, it's not even close the way the doors fold in. I was hoping. I will use it with the RS doors, but they will not open. Supposedly not a big deal from a few I've spoken with who have driven their cars with the doors closed.

Jody

Ummgawa
02-28-2005, 05:59 PM
I was told that GM designed it that way in case of Vacuum or Rs door failure. Go figure.

camcojb
02-28-2005, 06:12 PM
I was told that GM designed it that way in case of Vacuum or Rs door failure. Go figure.

Yeah, kinda what Charley told me this morning. Should be fine.

Jody