PDA

View Full Version : Body Flex

4OfaKind
07-08-2006, 11:45 AM
My 56 Chevy 4DR Post shell has been sitting on jack stands for the past 4 years. Nothing is on or in it. No doors, no fenders, no hood, no trunk. Just the front and rear windshield. I am close to finishing my tube chassis and so I am turning my attention to the body. The floors from the firewall to the rear bumper needs to be cut out; rusted pretty bad. The rockers are'nt much better. I plan to cut the firewall out so I can set my SBC back some.

OK my question. I want to weld in an X brace across the interior from each corner of the post behind the front doors before I cut out my firewall and floors. Do you think the body has flexed much the past four years since it has not been bolted to a frame or am I being paranoid considering this IS a post car? :_paranoid (Rookie Jitters)

Thanks for the help guys. I am anxious to see the body on this tube frame.

Mal

Gordz32
07-08-2006, 12:43 PM
I think you'll be ok, its not like you were moving it aroun alot over the past 4 years. Weld in some braces, the more the better, and let her buck! haha. You can always take measurements to see where your at according to the factory specs. Good luck and be sure to send us some pics! :thumbsup:

4OfaKind
07-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Cool. I went to Home Depot today and picked up some six foot 1/2" x 1/2" square tubing. I checked the price on an electric cutting wheel and a portable line feed welder. All I need now is a little space and opportunity. I will post pics of the carnage uh I mean progress in a couple of weeks. :_paranoid

Mal