PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Doors

cykotic
07-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Thinking of installing fiberglass doors on my 69 maro. Obviously for weight savings, but this is going to be a street driven vehicle. How are these as far as for daily driver purposes? Or should these only be considered for racing use? Also, will they accept regular window regulators, or do you have to go to lexan windows?

customcam
07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
id think its more race/drag than street imo like a hood wouldnt be that bad u need the protection on the street

quadfather
07-08-2006, 01:08 PM
i wouldn,t do it they are pretty flimsy and don't usually fit well. most use only bolted on lexan windows. you would have to fab everything to mount roll-up windows. and they wouldn.t last to long on a car that is driven often. the hinge and latch only bolt to a thin layer of fiberglass. and they will sag alot with the weight weight of real windows. besides the weight of a aftermarket door shell with no crash bars in it . is not that far off a f/glass door . it's the rest of the stuff that adds up . i.e. glass and window regs. ect. . hope that helps.

Colvindesign
08-13-2006, 10:16 AM
For weight savings on a street driven vehicle, your only real option would be to make them yourself. I am not sure what a stock door weighs, but you will save a few pounds.

I've made smaller parts in Fiberglass, and it is not all that difficult to make something solid enough to hold up to daily use. I would make it two piece though, with the outer shell and half of the inner door as one piece then the other half of the inner door as the second, this way you can open it up and build up the mounting areas for the hardware. Also this way you can mount a cross bar for safety. Also, it is not difficult to make a metal mounting plate and mold it into the fiberglass so you are not bolting your hardware to fiberglass.

But if you are not comfortable with it, just stick with metal doors, paying a shop to build fiberglass parts from scratch will cost you a ton, then they will turn around and market the end result and sell it to other people.

If I had a shop to work in and a few bucks to work with (materials for molds) I'd offer to make them for ya, but I'm not in a position to right now, sorry! I bet a good quality fiberglass (or even Carbon Fiber) door set for first gens would sell well. Damn it sucks being broke.

71Nova
08-18-2006, 08:25 PM
No you don't have to make them. Classic Ind sells them for a 69. Part # F10060 is the left and # F10061 is the right. They are for lexan windows. I would not do it personally if it was a street driven car. Maybe on a drag only car. They cost $329.95 each They say they have mounting pads for OEM hinge hardware.