PDA

View Full Version : Knock sensors on an LS

DBasher
10-02-2015, 08:58 PM
I had a scan done on my 05 Silverado after the check engine light came on, it came up as a bad knock sensor...#2 I think. Poking around the Internet it looks like it's one of two under the intake. Besides two new sensors, sealing the plugs with silicone and new manifold gaskets is there anything else I should be doing? Do I need any special tools?

Thanks in advance.
:thumbsup:

carkrazy1987
10-02-2015, 09:03 PM
intake gaskets, knock sensors, most likely the knock sensor harness. then build a dam around the sensors to keep em dry and then ur good. basic tools, and a fuel line quick disconnect tool

DBasher
10-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Got it, I'll need to borrow a fuel line tool from someone in the hood it sounds like. So maybe a dumb question but, looking at RockAuto it appears all knock sensors are the same...do I just order a few Delphi sensors and call it a day?

GregWeld
10-03-2015, 09:23 AM
IX1xDA3pKuE

DBasher
10-03-2015, 11:51 AM
I saw that, didn't watch the entire thing due to motion sickness! If you're going to take the time to make a video why not make a decent one? Some peoples kids....

I'll get the sensors ordered and see how it goes.

Thanks

Vince@Meanstreets
10-03-2015, 02:25 PM
:lol: "reach out to help someone and they complain your grip is too tight" :lol: :bang:

DBasher
10-03-2015, 02:38 PM
I know, what a Richard right?:lol:

Vince, are all sensors created equal? Delphi good enough?

Greg, thank you for the video, the parts and the secret Santa gift. I appreciate you....

:hello:

carkrazy1987
10-03-2015, 05:45 PM
for the most part the are. delphi will do. the killer of em is water and/or oil getting to em.

71RS/SS396
10-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Buy one of these http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LPE&Product_Code=RXLS2-KSRH&Category_Code=C162#.VhEyi5cWYq4 and a flat valley cover ( can be found on e bay ... etc under knock sensor delete) and move them to the side of the block.

andrewb70
10-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Buy one of these http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LPE&Product_Code=RXLS2-KSRH&Category_Code=C162#.VhEyi5cWYq4 and a flat valley cover ( can be found on e bay ... etc under knock sensor delete) and move them to the side of the block.

Don't the Gen IV sensors work differently than Gen III?

Andrew

71RS/SS396
10-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Don't the Gen IV sensors work differently than Gen III?

Andrew
Yes they do but you can use the gen III sensors with the extension harness I posted the link to.

instro84
10-05-2015, 07:11 PM

where on the side of the block would the sensors go? thanx

ilikeike
10-06-2015, 05:36 PM
I just bought the parts to do this myself.

I got the ACDelco sensors $38.75 ea. and a FelPro gasket $50.97 at Amazon.

Then thought I just go to the dealer to make sure I got a good genuine GM harness, paid around $30. I get home and look at it "Made In Serbia" Haven't seen that before, usually Mexico or Canada.

Might start on the project tonight.

IndyNova
10-20-2015, 07:39 AM
you cannot relocate the sensors on a gen3 block though, correct? I hate the fact that they're under the manifold and a pita to get too.

71RS/SS396
10-20-2015, 06:28 PM
you cannot relocate the sensors on a gen3 block though, correct? I hate the fact that they're under the manifold and a pita to get too.
Yes you can, I moved them on my wife's LS2 to the side of the block.

IndyNova
10-21-2015, 07:02 AM
Is it as simple as getting the adapter harness and drilling and tapping the block? Or, do I even need the knock sensor?

71RS/SS396
10-22-2015, 06:25 AM
Is it as simple as getting the adapter harness and drilling and tapping the block? Or, do I even need the knock sensor?

My wife's car already had bosses that were tapped on the side of the block but you could make a mounting block to screw the sensor into and use one of the existing tapped holes on the side of the block.

There's varying opinions on whether you need the sensors or not. Most tuners turn the sensitivity down once performance camshafts are installed since fast valve action tends to create more valvetrain noise which the knock sensors can see as detonation and the ecu starts pulling timing. How much the sensors are really doing at that point I don't know, but having them installed isn't really hurting anything so I prefer to keep them.