PDA

View Full Version : Got some love (and hate) on Bangshift.com

andrewb70
09-18-2015, 07:26 PM
http://bangshift.com/general-news/car-features/this-1967-mercury-cougar-looks-awesome-runs-hard-and-is-going-to-piss-off-a-lot-of-people/

Good times at LS Fest!

Andrew

Novacaine
09-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Not a Ford or Mercury fan but to each his own. Cool build and the theme is awesome. Looks like a real fun car to drive and I bet it gets a ton of looks. Nice job! Are those wheels reproduction of the old style or are they the older style?:thumbsup:

andrewb70
09-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Not a Ford or Mercury fan but to each his own. Cool build and the theme is awesome. Looks like a real fun car to drive and I bet it gets a ton of looks. Nice job! Are those wheels reproduction of the old style or are they the older style?:thumbsup:

Thank you...

Those wheels are modern Rocket Racing wheels that I had media blasted and gold anodized.

Andrew

JKnight
09-18-2015, 11:29 PM
You did a great job with your GTO and the Cougar is a really well executed example of your vision. You might just have set a trend with this one. True old school style with some serious knowledge of LS swaps, well beyond that of a typical crate swap.

I'm inspired by your ability to plan and execute your vision in your projects. There's not one ounce of peer pressure or 'gotta have parts' influence in your build. Every cool part or aspect is there because that's what YOU wanted or felt fit the vision.

andrewb70
09-18-2015, 11:52 PM
You did a great job with your GTO and the Cougar is a really well executed example of your vision. You might just have set a trend with this one. True old school style with some serious knowledge of LS swaps, well beyond that of a typical crate swap.

I'm inspired by your ability to plan and execute your vision in your projects. There's not one ounce of peer pressure or 'gotta have parts' influence in your build. Every cool part or aspect is there because that's what YOU wanted or felt fit the vision.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the sentiment. It's a huge compliment and I appreciate it.

Andrew

Vince@Meanstreets
09-19-2015, 02:45 AM
loved watching that project Andrew.

Do you recall the part number on the throttle bodies?

andrewb70
09-19-2015, 02:53 AM
loved watching that project Andrew.

Do you recall the part number on the throttle bodies?

Thanks Vince. Stock GM:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1321920&cc=1442883&jnid=505&jpid=2

Used on many Gen IV applications.

Andrew

GregWeld
09-20-2015, 07:20 AM
The haters just want to see something they have to say in print....

It's awesome!

I've never understood the hot rodding community when they don't like some motor in a different body... when hot rodding really got going - it was a Buick in a Ford or a Caddy in a Merc... Or a Hemi in a '32 Ford... why is it everyone loves those but can't see an LS in "something"? People are always so surprised when they see the LS in the '33...

andrewb70
09-20-2015, 11:45 AM
The haters just want to see something they have to say in print....

It's awesome!

I've never understood the hot rodding community when they don't like some motor in a different body... when hot rodding really got going - it was a Buick in a Ford or a Caddy in a Merc... Or a Hemi in a '32 Ford... why is it everyone loves those but can't see an LS in "something"? People are always so surprised when they see the LS in the '33...

Thanks Greg.

I think the reason for LS Hate is because it is being perceived as a "common" swap. This assumption is easy to make if you only look online and see the various swaps being documented. I have found that in reality, LS swaps are still quite exotic and rarely see any at local shows. Even at the last Super Chevy show that I attended there were only a handful LS swaps. I should really take my Cougar to a Super Chevy show...that would be a riot.

Andrew

Campbellshotrods
09-20-2015, 01:10 PM
Cool build, I'm amazed I've never clicked on it and browsed it. I'll have to do so someday.

But it's people like that that make me want to do an LS swap in my Edsel roadster. But then again, I don't plan to keep that one forever, so I should probably stick with my Coyote thoughts, and not piss off all the Ford people.

andrewb70
09-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Cool build, I'm amazed I've never clicked on it and browsed it. I'll have to do so someday.

I think there is quite a bit of good tech and things that no one has ever done before in my build. Feel free to brows and borrow liberally...LOL

Andrew

rustomatic
09-20-2015, 02:32 PM
This pretty much explains why I don't go to car shows much, if ever. It's not that I need to see an LS in everything, but it's really funny how the internet makes it seem like everyone has an LS in every vehicle. Seeing an LS at your typical cruise-in is like finding that misplaced diamond in a herd of goats . . .

Here's to more Fords (or Mopars or MGs or Volkswagens, for that matter) with LS swaps (and to mine functioning one day)!

Thanks Greg.

I think the reason for LS Hate is because it is being perceived as a "common" swap. This assumption is easy to make if you only look online and see the various swaps being documented. I have found that in reality, LS swaps are still quite exotic and rarely see any at local shows. Even at the last Super Chevy show that I attended there were only a handful LS swaps. I should really take my Cougar to a Super Chevy show...that would be a riot.

Andrew

Vince@Meanstreets
09-20-2015, 11:46 PM
Thanks Greg.

Andrew

thats cause they were out being driven. :stirthepot:

Its funny that there is so much hate and bias in the hot rod community. I remember I was in a local club. Bunch of retired guys and their kids. There was so much hate for swaps. Hot rodding started because they were against conformity and order. Being different. But as soon as you were outside of the box different you automaticly sucked.

If Ford and Mopar made an engine that can fit into a body without major mods, make power down low and easy to deal with electonics then I would be a believer.

andrewb70
09-21-2015, 05:44 PM
thats cause they were out being driven. :stirthepot:

I always tell people, when asked about doing a LS swap, that if they want to actually drive their cars, then LS is the way to go. If they just want to shine their knobs in their driveway and go to local car shows, then any engine will do.

Andrew

OLDFLM
09-22-2015, 09:47 AM
If they just want to shine their knobs in their driveway and go to local car shows, then any engine will do.

Andrew

Hey now! :whenitsdone:

MaxHarvard
09-25-2015, 09:02 AM
I dig it, I think it's cool.

Besides... how is the LS swap any different than the SBC swap 15 years ago? Wasn't the 'tree-fiddy' in every car for about 30 years?!

Vince@Meanstreets
09-25-2015, 12:16 PM
I dig it, I think it's cool.

Besides... how is the LS swap any different than the SBC swap 15 years ago? Wasn't the 'tree-fiddy' in every car for about 30 years?!

people weren't so danged sensitive 15 years ago. :lol:

Campbellshotrods
09-25-2015, 12:57 PM
people weren't so danged sensitive 15 years ago. :lol:

I blame the internet. These days people like to play keyboard commando, and are suddenly car experts and speak up like they normally NEVER would in person at a show. I find myself fighting these battles more than I should online, especially the "it needs rallys or Cragars" people whenever they see a car with larger than 15" wheels, haha.

andrewb70
09-26-2015, 10:17 AM
Getting spanked at LS Fest by a low 10 second CTSV....LOL

HtwOPrJmC9A

Andrew

Fluid Power
09-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Love it!

Darren

Mr.VENGEANCE
09-27-2015, 07:20 AM
What I love is that those old guys who just cant see how cool an LS is hates on it because putting one into a car isnt as easy like throwing in a 350.. there is electronics that scare them the same way they cant understand their android phone.. with ignorance there is always hate nearby.

the funny thing is at this moment I am swapping in an LS into my 65 Lincoln.. now imagine the hate im going to get.

andrewb70
09-27-2015, 09:04 AM
Here is another funny thing. I've taken the car to a couple of local shows and even an all Ford show, and most people were totally clueless as to what they were looking at. I could have told them it was anything...Then I tell them that it's an engine out of a 2009 Colorado pick up and I actually think they don't believe me.

Andrew

Brewtal66
11-28-2015, 10:22 AM
What I love is that those old guys who just cant see how cool an LS is hates on it because putting one into a car isnt as easy like throwing in a 350.. there is electronics that scare them the same way they cant understand their android phone.. with ignorance there is always hate nearby.

the funny thing is at this moment I am swapping in an LS into my 65 Lincoln.. now imagine the hate im going to get.

Agreed!

I put an LQ4 into my '62 Cadillac. I suppose it's at least GM to GM, not GM to Ford....but some of the purists still had to tell me it was wrong.

Brewtal66
11-28-2015, 10:23 AM
Here is another funny thing. I've taken the car to a couple of local shows and even an all Ford show, and most people were totally clueless as to what they were looking at. I could have told them it was anything...Then I tell them that it's an engine out of a 2009 Colorado pick up and I actually think they don't believe me.

Andrew

By the way...I was at LS Fest, saw this car there...didn't realize it was you! I should have said hello. Next year.

kttrucks
12-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Suffer not the Hating Trolls! I saw you at LS Fest as well, and the car made me smile REALLY big! I'm typically a blue oval guy, JADED was one of my favorite personal builds, and I have deep connections to the early Cougars ( insert joke here...) But ZedSled (78 Camaro) has been tons of fun for me, even though I do fall into the belly-butten crowd of predictability... ( I don't care.... ) however in my opinion, if you're keeping one on the street and out of the crusher and having fun with it.... you've satisfied your mission! If you're making heads turn and causing a caffuffle amongst the low-brow haters..... doubly so!!

Well done!

KT.

andrewb70
12-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Suffer not the Hating Trolls! I saw you at LS Fest as well, and the car made me smile REALLY big! I'm typically a blue oval guy, JADED was one of my favorite personal builds, and I have deep connections to the early Cougars ( insert joke here...) But ZedSled (78 Camaro) has been tons of fun for me, even though I do fall into the belly-butten crowd of predictability... ( I don't care.... ) however in my opinion, if you're keeping one on the street and out of the crusher and having fun with it.... you've satisfied your mission! If you're making heads turn and causing a caffuffle amongst the low-brow haters..... doubly so!!

Well done!

KT.

Thanks KT...and Merry Christmas.

Andrew

Stovebolter
01-06-2016, 02:34 PM
You know what they say, "Opinions are like............"

I don't really care what anyone thinks, I built my car for me, not to please a crowd of anal retentive turkeys. Love your build because it's different!

andrewb70
04-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Got a little more love north of the border. Looks like this turd has gone international!

http://www.pro-touring.com/~andrewb/cougar/689.jpg

http://www.pro-touring.com/~andrewb/cougar/690.jpg

http://www.pro-touring.com/~andrewb/cougar/691.jpg

Andrew

57hemicuda
05-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Haters gonna hate. Love it Andrew, patina is the new chrome. Needing you to work on those ET's though, I know there is an 11 sec. pass in there waiting to come out. 2 4bbls ish for the win. LOL

andrewb70
05-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Haters gonna hate. Love it Andrew, patina is the new chrome. Needing you to work on those ET's though, I know there is an 11 sec. pass in there waiting to come out. 2 4bbls ish for the win. LOL

Thanks Ron. This little 5.3L only makes 325 rwhp. I don't think there is an 11 second pass in it...What I need to do is stick the 6.2L from the GTO in the Cougar and then put the 5.3L in the GTO and add a snail shaped muffler....LOL

Andrew

57hemicuda
05-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Did Drag Week last year, there was a guy with 5.3 powered ChevyII with 2 snail shaped mufflers. Junk yard motor, over 100K on it, he said he didn't do anything but ARP rod bolts, and a cam. Car ran 8.50"s in the quarter, only lasted 3 venues before the big bang, but I was impressed. LS engines are amazing.

dhutton
05-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Did Drag Week last year, there was a guy with 5.3 powered ChevyII with 2 snail shaped mufflers. Junk yard motor, over 100K on it, he said he didn't do anything but ARP rod bolts, and a cam. Car ran 8.50"s in the quarter, only lasted 3 venues before the big bang, but I was impressed. LS engines are amazing.

Snail shaped mufflers. Took me a second to figure WTF you guys are talking about... :lol: :EmoteClueless:

jarhead
05-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Great build Andrew, I know this is an old thread but I just now read it :trophy-1302:

Ben@SpeedTech
05-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Well Andrew, good on ya. I hate to say but I think the comments were almost more entertaining to read than the article. It absolutely amazes me that folks get in a pinch over an engine swap. At the end of the day you have a car that's fun to drive, is quick enough, and can go to just about any event and not feel excluded. That car is just plain cool.

As far as swaps go, I have a thing for wagons. If I had the cash flow I'd get a late 80s/early 90s Olds full size Custom Cruiser wagon and slip a Duramax with 1000 ft lbs into it to tow my Olds G body Cutlass wagon (which came from the factory with a small block Chevy), to the track. For the puzzled look factor I'd make sure it had Oldsmobile's Diesel badges on the fenders and tailgate. After that the Turbo 3.8 Buick in a Chevette project would get started...

If it makes it run better or look cooler, all's fair in hot rodding. If that's not fair to some folks, well they really don't get what hot rodding is all about and need to go back to the garage to dust and polish their numbers matching restoration that never gets driven. What a waste of Detroit history that is...

Revved
05-24-2016, 08:41 AM
HA! The comments are great... shows how small people can be some times when they don't take their pills!! Congrats on building something out of the norm... If you had stuffed it in a 69 Camaro nobody would have looked twice at it. Just drive it and enjoy it!

andrewb70
06-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Great build Andrew, I know this is an old thread but I just now read it :trophy-1302:

Thank you. It takes me a while to get to this forum and I appreciate the comments!

Well Andrew, good on ya. I hate to say but I think the comments were almost more entertaining to read than the article. It absolutely amazes me that folks get in a pinch over an engine swap. At the end of the day you have a car that's fun to drive, is quick enough, and can go to just about any event and not feel excluded. That car is just plain cool.

As far as swaps go, I have a thing for wagons. If I had the cash flow I'd get a late 80s/early 90s Olds full size Custom Cruiser wagon and slip a Duramax with 1000 ft lbs into it to tow my Olds G body Cutlass wagon (which came from the factory with a small block Chevy), to the track. For the puzzled look factor I'd make sure it had Oldsmobile's Diesel badges on the fenders and tailgate. After that the Turbo 3.8 Buick in a Chevette project would get started...

If it makes it run better or look cooler, all's fair in hot rodding. If that's not fair to some folks, well they really don't get what hot rodding is all about and need to go back to the garage to dust and polish their numbers matching restoration that never gets driven. What a waste of Detroit history that is...

Ben....at some point we should discuss some upgrades to my GTO :-)

HA! The comments are great... shows how small people can be some times when they don't take their pills!! Congrats on building something out of the norm... If you had stuffed it in a 69 Camaro nobody would have looked twice at it. Just drive it and enjoy it!

The Cougar definitely gets it's fair share of attention...most people actually have no idea what to think of it.

Andrew

ProTouring442
06-12-2016, 07:14 AM
Back when we were teens (circa 1980s), whenever a friend of mine would overhear someone ragging on some portion of someone's car, he would tap them on the shoulder and say, "so, which one of these is your car?" while he gestured with his hand at the other cars at the show/cruise/etc. I don't think he ever did this and had the know-it-all point to a car. It was always someone who didn't have anything they'd built.

If the others can't take a joke...

Cool ride, sir!

andrewb70
06-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Back when we were teens (circa 1980s), whenever a friend of mine would overhear someone ragging on some portion of someone's car, he would tap them on the shoulder and say, "so, which one of these is your car?" while he gestured with his hand at the other cars at the show/cruise/etc. I don't think he ever did this and had the know-it-all point to a car. It was always someone who didn't have anything they'd built.

If the others can't take a joke...

Cool ride, sir!

Thank you!

I always enjoy watching people go by the car at a car show...Most people just have no clue.

Andrew