PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic or mechanical roller cam

mustang1969
06-26-2006, 12:47 PM
I am tring to decide on a cam for my 396 Windsor w/ a 5 speed. I want to get to most out of my dollar, so i am looking at a solid roller, but i have been told they require alot of up keep, having to do the overheads all the time. So i am wondering if smart money would be on a hydraulic roller instead. What kinda horsepower differences am i looking at, and what would you guys recommend?

Thanks for the Help

Chris

XcYZ
06-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Chris, how many street miles would you be putting on the car? There's no doubt that the solid roller will make more power, but I just don't trust them (the lifters) for street duty.

mustang1969
06-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Scott, I would say at best 500 miles or so, i do want it to be driveable should i choose to take it on a road trip, poker run...what ever. I don't want this car to only be a trailer queen. I plan to use it and abuse it...LOL!

Chris

rocketman
06-26-2006, 05:58 PM
If you don't plan on racing it a solid roller is really useless,They are a little bit of work,you have to lash the valve's every 3-5,000 depending on how much abuse you put it threw,I have one in my z28 and I usaully adjust it every oil change.A good set of poly locks help too.

There's really not enough horsepower diff in a street motor to justify it.When I pull my camaro motor out to fresh this winter it's getting HYD lifters this time.