PDA

View Full Version : 1969 PT Camaro: What’s it Worth As-Is vs Running?

CE69
05-21-2015, 04:51 PM
I have a half built 69 Pro Touring Camaro. My question is how much would it be worth as is (half built) or would it be profitable and how much would it be worth if I put more money in it just to get it in running condition? Or would it be worth it if I part it out? I know a lot of you would say finish it and drive it, well a little history first….

After buying several complete rust buckets I found this car, a very solid base to work with. I was 40 at the time and set a goal to complete it by the time I was 50 (10 years!!). Well I’m 50 and the Camaro is not done. I have two kids, had a job change (that I do not care for) and a change of residence since I bought the Camaro. I consider myself as a low to middle income family with not a lot of resources. I am surprised I got this far with the project. With college and retirement heavy on my mind I am considering selling my dream. Like I said, a lot of you would say finish it and drive it but reality has to set in sometime. I have a 69 Camaro half way built and cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. So….. This is where I’m at, Do I sell the car as is and how much is it worth? Or do I put “more” money in it to get it running and then sell it? I have no idea if I could come up with the money or how long it would take but I don’t want to leave too much money on the table. On the other hand I don’t know whether it would be profitable to get it running and then sell it.
I have been a long time reader of both Lateral-G and Pro-Touring and respect every ones opinion. This is a very hard decision to make and would like your input on how much the car would be worth as is or???? This is a list of what I have and what it would take to get it running or to finish.

1969 base Camaro
Car has been stripped and sprayed with epoxy primer. All metal work was done professionally by Brian at Screamin Performance. Pictures of body work can be viewed at http://screaminperformance.com/gallery/Completed%20Projects/Chad's%2069/index.html. Both quarter panels, outer wheel wells, tail panel and rear filler panel were replaced with AMD panels. Firewall, roof, doors, trunk lid and all floor pans are original. All seams have been sealed and underside of car sprayed with Raptor. I have all the front end sheet metal excluding the hood. Front end sheet metal is AMD as well and will need to be fit. All new panels were stripped and sprayed with epoxy before installing. Sub frame has been blasted and painted. DSE frame rail connectors installed. DSE mini tubs. Firewall smoothed with DSE filler panel and painted. I also have the DSE electric RS headlamp assemblies, new GM RS grille. I have original GM window moldings, drip rail moldings and bumpers that have been rechromed. I have most NOS emblems for the car. There is a new complete American Auto Wire body wiring harness (not installed).

Suspension/Steering/Brakes
The car has DSE upper control arms, Ride Tech lower control arms, VariShock coil-overs and a Hotchkis front sway bar. The rearend is a Moser 12 bolt 33 spline, Tru Trac and 373 gears. Has a Prodigy Bar (air bar) with QA1’s. Steering gear has been up graded to the 84-92 Camaro w/performance steering gear Cardone #276550. All steering linkage is new Moog parts and I have the “short “steering arms installed, (I also have a set of the mid length ones as well). I have a rebuilt tilt steering column with new comfort grip (I think) steering wheel. The brakes are Wilwood w/6 piston front calipers, 12.19” drilled and slotted rotors and 4 piston calipers w/parking brake kit on the rear. 7/8” bore Wilwood master cylinder. 17” American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 17X8 front with new 245/40/17 Michelin Sport Pilots and 17X11 rears with used (need to be replaced), 335/35/17 Michelin Sport Pilots.

Motor and Trans
Motor is a L92 w/VVT out of a 2008 or 9 Escalade. LS3 intake, Mast oil pan, Mast Cam, Holley accessory drive brackets, Stainless Works headers, and DBW gas pedal included. Wiring harness has already been modified and labeled. Motor has been gone through and checked with a new oil pump, water pump, belt, ARP head bolts, seals and gaskets.
Transmission is a 4L70e out of a 06-09 Trail Blazer not sure what year. Trans has been gone through as well.

Note: Work on motor and trans was done by someone else and I can’t prove internal parts. Had the motor for three years and have not had the opportunity to fire it.

Items needed to get running and to finish
ECM and programming, fuel system, radiator, exhaust, gauge package, wiring, battery and cables. Transmission mount, shifter and drive shaft should be all that’s needed to get it started.

What the car needs to finish after its running. Front end sheet metal installed and alignment. Needs a hood and possibly trunk lid. Tail lamps, headlamps and side markers. All glass and weather strips. Paint and install all the parts I have accumulated over the years.
Install wiring harness. Install Dynamat. Car will need complete interior including seats, carpet, dash, door panels, ect…. A/C (optional) but at this point?

I know I’m missing things I have and by no means is this a complete list of what the car still needs. Just trying to be as honest as I can. Thanks for your input. By no means is this list complete just what I can think of at this point.
I know some of the pictures are a couple of years old but the cars is in the very same condition today just maybe a little more dust. The first three pictures were taken yesterday 5/20/15.

CE69
05-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Sorry for the GIANT pictures. I have no idea how to resize the images. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

dhutton
05-21-2015, 05:44 PM
My recommendation is to not invest any more money unless you are prepared to take it to completion. Cut your losses and move on if you don't want to finish it. I think this will minimize your loss.

Don

Vega$69
05-21-2015, 06:56 PM
I have purchased a number of 1st Gen Projects over the past few years that I have finished. I look for them purposely because they can be bought for great prices.

In fact the 69 Camaro Protour Car I'm finishing right now was a project that someone else started years ago and suffered set backs similar your situation.

My son's 69 build was also a project. It was running LQ9 4L65E with Vintage Air, all interior, power windows, new TT wheels. Solid Cali car needed paint and some reworking to our standards. We gave the seller $11.5 cash.

Basically I pay about 50 cents on the dollar for what has been invested in the project. Or looking at it differently it's worth the some of the parts.

Another 69 I bought only need headliner and some wiring cleaned up. Beautiful all new paint, new 355 roller motor and 5 speed manual. I paid $27 for it invested about $1500 and sold it for over $40.

Your car is nice and has a lot of quality work completed. In looking at your I would estimate what it would be worth finished and deduct the cost to finish to establish a value then offer a price reasonably under that to make it worth it to me.When finished I would ball park yours at $50ish or so depending on how far a guy takes it. IMHO to get it to $50 will take about $25. I would be a buyer in the low $20 area considering it would also take a couple Gs to transport.

Sideshow
05-22-2015, 12:14 AM
Like everyone else. We have all been building cars for a longtime. I myself have done it for over 30 years. Just 69 camaros. So here's my 2 cents. If you can't keep it because you need the money. Sell the motor and trans first. Then the suspension, followed by the body. That will get you the most for it. If you sell it as a whole be ready to get raped. And raped hard. People don't care what you have into it or how many hours. They just look at the bottom line/ bottom dollar. Now keep in mind also you have one of the most demanding cars in the old school market. Everyone wants your product. So don't get raped. Sell it slow and get top dollar. Ebay will be your friend to sell parts.

CE69
05-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. I follow you on parting it out. I know what I spent on the motor and trans but what would the rolling chassis be worth. I know what I spent on the body and I know I'm going to take a beating on it as well but I wouldn't know where to start. I think I would have to sell the suspension along with the body just because I wouldn't be able to make it roll. Thanks again

badazz81z28
06-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Like everyone else. We have all been building cars for a longtime. I myself have done it for over 30 years. Just 69 camaros. So here's my 2 cents. If you can't keep it because you need the money. Sell the motor and trans first. Then the suspension, followed by the body. That will get you the most for it. If you sell it as a whole be ready to get raped. And raped hard. People don't care what you have into it or how many hours. They just look at the bottom line/ bottom dollar. Now keep in mind also you have one of the most demanding cars in the old school market. Everyone wants your product. So don't get raped. Sell it slow and get top dollar. Ebay will be your friend to sell parts.

Agree^^^

You will be hard pressed to build a protouring car and make money on it. They just never sell for what you put into it even if its a 69 camaro,

I would also part it out and sell the body as a roller. You will get more money that way.

I just did the same thing to my other project. People want to pay penny's, not value. I can't believe what some cars sell for!