PDA

View Full Version : 4 point harness

glassman
02-17-2015, 08:43 PM
I just got 3pt Corbeaus and i do not like them. Too angled to the back seat.

I have a harness bar behind the seat that i'd like to "strap" them too, should i just get a set of 5pts and deadline the submarine strap?

Any suggestions of brands ? (corbeau's have a 4pt, but i cant see how it would wrap around the harness bar, as those appear to bolt to the rear seat belt holes as well)

Sieg
02-18-2015, 12:23 AM
Unlimited choices........

http://www.willans.com/6-point-saloon/view-all-products?swid=10016

http://www.sabelt.com/en/racing/Products/allestimento-vettura/Cinture-Saloon/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.schrothracing.com/competition

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/racing-harnesses

glassman
02-18-2015, 06:35 PM
Thanx for the input and links Scotty....ima thinking the Scroth's. The Simpson's are too big and bulky for a mostly street car, and the Scroths make a "less" submarineable 4pt, so i ordered that thru a Bay Area distributor.

Went thru your seat belt thread last nite though....better to go thru the thread than thru the windscreen....(bad huh? E for effort) good luck with the stoppers

And i cant find a "local" Sabelt distributor, socal so far...

Sieg
02-18-2015, 10:52 PM
Depending on how much you drive the car...........having a 3 point retractable and a 5-point system for competition would be the ideal CONVENIENCE. :thumbsup:

BMR Sales
02-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Do you wear a HANS device - there are specific Belts for those

glassman
02-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Not yet as the car rarely sees the track, for now.

But the Scroths are on intergalatic back order.

So the hunt continues for a "streetable" 4pt that can mount too my harness bar.

Siegster, i had previously looked at three of those four before your recommendations and i ll look a little deeper now. But i was trying to get them before the feb 28th event...

glassman
02-22-2015, 04:56 PM
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/sro-04604bmnr_oh_xl.jpg

does anybody know if the back bolt in part can be used over the harness bar vs welding the tabs to the harness bar?

SSLance
02-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Ron Sutton would be a great one to ask about these. I haven't seen him around much lately but it couldn't hurt to give him a call.

I figured out today that I should be able to use my factory 3 point belts with my new race seats and slip the 5 point harnesses I'm going to buy for race days which is the best of both worlds. Hope you can figure something similar out.

Does your car have 3 point belts now?

glassman
02-22-2015, 07:39 PM
It did but the guy who did my rear stuff took them out for the headliner guy and since they were such a pain to take out due to the roll bar being in the way he "made" me use the Corbeau's (i had bought them from him some time back)...

Ive been meenin to call Ron, but it looks like he only handles Simpson and their too race track and 5pts....i will see him next weekend in thunderhill though.

Hopefully i'll remember too call him tomorrow....

SSLance
02-22-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm planing on putting the Simpson 5 points in my car and flipping them out of the way and running the factory 3 points on the street. Ron told me he likes the shoulder belts to bolt to the harness bar instead of wrapping around it, this keeps the belts from sliding sideways on the harness bar.

This street car vs race car identity crisis is a drag isn't it.

carbuff
02-22-2015, 10:34 PM
I like my Schroths. When you say indefinite backorder, whom did you contact?

These are the ones I have:

http://www.schrothracing.com/competition/profi-asm/profi-II-asm

And this is where I bought them:

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/schroth-competition-belts/profi-asm/profi-ii-asm

Good luck!

Sieg
02-22-2015, 11:59 PM
Mike - While you're at it download the Competition Instructions file here: http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/research/harness-information/competition/harness-installation

Read it. The applicable sections a couple times.

It's the best guide I've found.

glassman
02-23-2015, 03:31 PM
Just called HMS, and their out of the shoulders portion of the 4pt, everybodys out, and its in transport. Just bad timing on my end. I have something now, i just dont feel its "enough".

Siegster, yeah, what a read, 64 pages. Now i know what i'm doing tonite while my wife and I "watch" the Voice....(its her thing, but hey, I love her....Lol)

Sieg
02-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Just called HMS, and their out of the shoulders portion of the 4pt, everybodys out, and its in transport. Just bad timing on my end. I have something now, i just dont feel its "enough".

Siegster, yeah, what a read, 64 pages. Now i know what i'm doing tonite while my wife and I "watch" the Voice....(its her thing, but hey, I love her....Lol)

You can probably blame the inventory on the longshoremen and the ports.

My wife and I have our own TV rooms.......that's why we're still married. :D

GregWeld
02-24-2015, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't drive with anything that was an offshore import. There are people that make them right here in the good old USofA... Crow being ONE example.

dontlifttoshift
02-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Schroth comes from the other side of the other ocean.

glassman
02-24-2015, 07:49 PM
I believe its Italian...

Track Junky
02-24-2015, 08:33 PM
The Schroth 2" are illegal at NASA events. Just sayin'.

Do yourself a favor and get a 5 point.

dontlifttoshift
02-25-2015, 07:50 AM
2" shoulder or lap belts?

glassman
02-25-2015, 04:12 PM

And i'm most likely headed that route (NASA). Thanks for the head up Gae...do you know what their roll bar vs roll cage basic rules are? also, i have recaro's but there older and i'm not sure i can get the 5th pt in on those....so???

If i have to do fixed seats, cell, better cage, i will most likely be purchasing a track specific vehicle in the future.....did i mention the track is like black tar herion? very addicting...

Flash68
02-25-2015, 04:39 PM
curl up by the fire Mike....

https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Track Junky
02-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Not sure if rules have changed and Dave has been kind enough to provide a link which I don't plan on reading through so I'll just give you the short of it and hope what I say here still applies.
No cage required for time trials and stock belts are allowed unless you've begun to make changes. If you have started to make the changes a 5 point is minimum and for cars over 3000 lbs cage needs to be 1 3/4" DOM .120 wall. Be sure you read up on cage design.

GregWeld
02-25-2015, 09:14 PM
And i'm most likely headed that route (NASA). Thanks for the head up Gae...do you know what their roll bar vs roll cage basic rules are? also, i have recaro's but there older and i'm not sure i can get the 5th pt in on those....so???

If i have to do fixed seats, cell, better cage, i will most likely be purchasing a track specific vehicle in the future.....did i mention the track is like black tar herion? very addicting...

I have a Miata -- would be just the ticket for you.

rustomatic
02-26-2015, 11:01 PM
For the cheapskate angle, I've got a basic RCI 5-point setup (I think I got it through Summit, which means free overnight shipping where I live)--I don't use the submarine part, because I have cojones in the way . . .

Really, I have adjustable seats without the sub-hole, but for a four-point setup, the RCI belts worked out pretty well (two track days on them). I only accidentally put the horizontal bar behind my seat in the right place (I think), and there has been no discernible movement (laterally) when the things are on and buckled (yes, I just got the kind with buckles, through which straps wrap around the bar). I just fling the shoulder belts off to the sides when I'm on the street, and they don't really bother me; when you put them behind the seat to hang, they tend to annoy a bit. Once you get the hang of the strapping pattern, they're pretty easy to take on and off.

I also like the old-school lever-action buckle, as opposed to the camlock/quicky deal, since my car is older than dirt--the buckle is continuing a kind of theme . . .

z28cp
03-11-2015, 02:12 PM

I certainly agree with having at minimum a 5 point harness. However, I see no mention of belt width in the NASA CCR. The SCCA GCR specifies a 2" or 3" lap belt.

I am planning to use the Schroth Profil II 6 point. It uses a 2" lap and anti-submarine straps, and 3" shoulder straps. (2" shoulder straps on their HANS specific belts)

Decline
03-14-2015, 02:57 AM
I just tried to install my schroth harnesses and the supplied 7/16 bolts are too small. How did you other guys install them?
Hoping for a quick answer so I can run an autoX on Sunday
My car is a'69 Camaro and the belts are profi 2 fe's

GregWeld
03-14-2015, 08:51 AM
I just tried to install my schroth harnesses and the supplied 7/16 bolts are too small. How did you other guys install them?
Hoping for a quick answer so I can run an autoX on Sunday
My car is a'69 Camaro and the belts are profi 2 fe's

You don't really describe what the issue is -- what is "too small"? Too SHORT?? If that's the case you run to the local hardware store and buy some longer ones.... making sure to get the same GRADE as the supplied hardware <most likely grade 8 or 9>.

Sieg
03-14-2015, 09:17 AM
I used grade 8 fasteners from the bulk section at the local Wilco farm supply store.

carbuff
03-14-2015, 10:08 AM
If you are trying to use the stock belt mount locations, those bolts are larger. I think I opened up the hole on the brackets for the floor mounted belts and used the original bolts. I had different ones: some had shoulders, some were just threaded as I recall. I chose the smaller ones to open up the holes the least amount.

Also, I think the brackets are hardened which made opened up the holes a challenge.

If you are creating new mount point in the floor, then I don't see how there could be a problem.

Good luck!

glassman
03-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Bryan, are your shoulder belts mounted to your harness bar? I think i'm going to pull out my harness bar and weld some "loops/C" to it so the shoulder doesn't slip upon impact. I'm waiting for the Schroth b/o, but MAY go 5pt thanks to the links on this thread. Love hot roddin, just when you think your going one way, bam, fork in the road and you go the other....

carbuff
03-14-2015, 10:33 AM
My shoulder belts are wrapped to the harness bar and not bolted to it. I don't think they will slip if wrapped correctly, and it's not hard to do.

I don't have a lot of clearance to the back of my seat either, so bolting to them wasn't a good option. My harness bar is not at the ideal height: it's a bit lower than it should be.

Decline
03-14-2015, 12:06 PM
If you are trying to use the stock belt mount locations, those bolts are larger. I think I opened up the hole on the brackets for the floor mounted belts and used the original bolts. I had different ones: some had shoulders, some were just threaded as I recall. I chose the smaller ones to open up the holes the least amount.

Also, I think the brackets are hardened which made opened up the holes a challenge.

If you are creating new mount point in the floor, then I don't see how there could be a problem.

Good luck!

This is my problem^^^
I am trying to use the stock lap belt mounts and the bolts are larger diameter.
Guess I could open up the holes on harness brackets and use the original bolts.
The rear shoulder mount is a problem cuz I was planning on running eye bolts in the stock seat belt mount location with the clip on brackets.
Looks like I either need to buy eye bolts of the correct diameter or get 4 reinforcement plates and drill some holes.

Decline
04-23-2015, 05:55 PM
I eventually got the harnesses installed. I opened up the lap belt brackets with a drill bit and used the stock bolts in stock holes. For the shoulder harnesses I couldnt find a 1/2x 13 eyeblot in the right dimensions so I got backing plates and drilled holes in the rear seat area and used the Schroth hardware

glassman
04-23-2015, 11:43 PM
Sweet, glad you got it done. Mines still not done.