PDA

View Full Version : Chassisworks cage install on 68 firebird??

Bonebuster29
02-15-2015, 04:16 PM
I am starting the install of my 6pt Chassisworks cage on my 68 firebird and I'm struggling on where to cut my holes in the package tray for the rear bars. For a $1000 cage I'd think Chassisworks could provide some better instructions and some pictures.
Does anyone have pictures they could send me or post up so I can get a general idea of where to cut the package tray and where the mounted the rear bar plates?

Vince@Meanstreets
02-15-2015, 04:59 PM
You won't get instructions for equipment like that because it's something a pro shop would be installing and would know where things need to go according to rules or regulations.

Generally to put the hoop in per drivers position then work your way out. Rear down bars get trimmed to hit the rear frame rail in a good spot.

Rod P
02-15-2015, 05:04 PM
You won't get instructions for equipment like that because it's something a pro shop would be installing and would know where things need to go according to rules or regulations.

Generally to put the hoop in per drivers position then work your way out. Rear down bars get trimmed to hit the rear frame rail in a good spot.

ummmm.....yep what he said

Bonebuster29
02-15-2015, 05:07 PM

agreed as no position will be the same, however I'd imagine there is a general spot +- 1/2inch where the holes are cut in the package tray and where the floor plates are welded. Same goes with the door bars, but they provided pics and a "general" area when the floor plate go and how everything comes together. General guidelines for garage builds I guess is what Id call it

Vince@Meanstreets
02-15-2015, 05:55 PM
What I do is get the hoop in where it must go. Determined by your driver seat and drivers helmet location. secure or tack in.
Fit your rear down bars, trim the package tray. I use shorter pieces of scrap to estimate where the pass through will be. Then cut a hole out while fitting that scrap piece, shaping the hole to the tube. You can cut out large then fill later if you wish.
Pass the rear down bars through the hole and try to fit to the main hoop and hit the floor, trim slowly to get it close. Once you get it as close as possible to the panels you secure or tack in. Now you can figure where your plates will go, possible interference spots and frame tie in spots.

DBasher
02-15-2015, 10:49 PM
We cut out a larger piece of the package tray where the bars were going to run through, roughly 5"x5". Once everything was where it needed to be, it was easy to go back and trim that piece around the bar and weld it back in. Badabing badaboom!

:cheers: